Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

Coach Knight on Walking/Officials

On ESPN this morning Coach Knight has a special on officiating the college game. He stated his number 1 issue was officials ignoring the walk. He used 2 game clips featuring 2 current college players. Guess who he showed first?

You got it. The King Of Walk- Tyler Hanswalker. He showed a clip from the Michigan St game this year featuring a scored basket by Hanswalk on a spin move in which he took 5 steps. Coach Knight walked through it in slow motion clearly showing each step. I loved it. The other spot featured Blake Griffin. I look forward to your comments on this one.

The General on Hanstravel

Coach Knight had a segment on Sports Center where he talked about some of his officiating peeves. Featured was Hole Hanstravel during Knight's piece on traveling. He clearly illustrated Hanstravel taking 5 steps while making a basket against an inferior opponent earlier this year. It showed what everyone
    here knows but is seemingly ignored by the rest of the nation-that many of his points are the result of uncalled infractions. If he breaks JJ's scoring mark, there should be a big asterik beside it indicating that many of his points are illegitimate.

Good for Coach Knight.

I'm not sure which bothers me more about Hansbrough's advantages with the officials---the walking that is not called, or the quick calls in his favor when he has the ball and is moving toward the hoop.

Seems to me that Hansbrough does not get such favorable treatment in the NCAA Tournament, nor should he.

Sometimes the travel call is obvious. But there was a call in the Georgia Tech game Wednesday night that baffled me. Scheyer drove into the lane and did what looked to me like a nice jump stop. He was called for traveling. Why was that a travel, what did I miss?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Good for Coach Knight.

I'm not sure which bothers me more about Hansbrough's advantages with the officials---the walking that is not called, or the quick calls in his favor when he has the ball and is moving toward the hoop.

Seems to me that Hansbrough does not get such favorable treatment in the NCAA Tournament, nor should he.
    Now will he in the NBA (as reagrds fouls, big guys shuffle their feet a lot in the NBA with no calls). His "toughness" that he shows in college play (and I do admit he is tough) won't cut it in the league. Those guys up there are big and serious. The stuff that sends him to the FT line now won't even be noticed then, and when he does get a call he will be sore.

Let us not forget that Gerald Henderson had a brief showing in that clip. That being said, I have never seen anyone walk as much or as often as Tyler Hansbrough. It's like the new awesome post move is a travel. You can't defend it because the person gets enough seperation through a quick walk to get an open shot. If Hansbrough passes Reddick in all time ACC scorers I will be furious.

Walkin' Blues

There was a graphic in the UNC game last night that, even before the UVA game, Mr. Hans had something like just under 900 points from the free throw line (872 or 832 maybe, but a huge number).

Also glad to see that IC has so far not acknowledged the Knight commentary. They are still busy complaining about the refs in the Duke-Ga Tech game.

I just watched the clip on espn.com. I knew Hansbrough traveled, but for Knight to break it down like that suprised me honestly. He took 5 STEPS. How do refs not see this? That is almost as bad as NBA officials. Maybe this will bring more attention to traveling in games and force refs to make the call or at least bring attention to home much Hansbrough travels

Almost always

I have noticed that Hanstravel usually takes two small steps to gather himself b4 going up for his shot. I don't know why the officials do not call it. If it were a Duke player everyone would be hollering about it. Good job Coach K and Coach Knight. Go Duke!

Elton Brand was great with the pivot. A lot of opposing fans would scream for a travel call, but replays showed he was just using the pivot very well. Sometimes, you may see a travel called when it was just a good pivot. I wonder if the refs find it too close to call when a player is moving so quickly it's hard to tell if it was a good pivot.

Now the Hansblah clip was just disgusting. I hope a lot of refs see the slo-mo breakdown.

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Maybe my memory is bad, but last season, the PlayCaller promised us a segment where he was going to break down what Hans really does with his feet. I don't recall seeing it; maybe he did so, and I missed it. Anyone remember if he 'splained it all to us?

You never know... if enough officials see the Knight clip, it could actually influence them to start calling Hansbrough's blatant walks more often in conference play.

Another bad memory

Quote Originally Posted by JStuart View Post
    Maybe my memory is bad, but last season, the PlayCaller promised us a segment where he was going to break down what Hans really does with his feet. I don't recall seeing it; maybe he did so, and I missed it. Anyone remember if he 'splained it all to us?
    My memory is not that good either, but I thought that was the case. I would enjoy his input. Go Duke!

Anyone have a link to the clip. Thanks

Through the mysteries of time travel, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards analyzed Hansbroughs post moves on their 1986 album Dirty Work, in the minor hit, Hansbrough Shuffle.

Huhuuuhuhuhuhuuuuuuh, hu!
    You move it to the left, yeah, and you go for yourself.
    You move it to the right, yeah, if it takes all night.
    Now take it kinda slow,
    with a whole lot of soul.
    Don't move it too fast.
    Just make it last.
    You scratch just like a monkey.
    Yeah ya do, real cool.
    You slide it to the limbo.
    Yeah, how low can you go?
    Now come on baby, come on baby!
    Don't fall down on me now.
    Just move it right here to the Hansbrough Shuffle.
    Huh, yeah, yeah, yeah, do the Hansbrough Shuffle.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, do the Hansbrough Shuffle

Quote Originally Posted by bhop22 View Post
    Anyone have a link to the clip. Thanks
    Here's the link http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=3837838

why don't they call it?

It's true that's there are many instances when the traveling violation is not called. The rules say, for example, that when a player catches the ball in mid-air, his foot that first hits the floor is the pivot foot and may not be moved again. But we all see players regularly come down the with the ball and then move that pivot foot. The point is that most of the time this is done about 25 feet or so from the basket. No harm to anyone.

What Hansbrough does is very different. He will get the ball on the left side of the lane, dribble once to the baseline, pick up his dribble, stop, step towards the foul line with his left foot, spin his body and plant his right foot towards the free-throw line (a traveling violation) and then JUMP into the middle of the lane, landing on both feet, then throw his body into the nearest defender, throw the ball into the air and fall on his back, thus "earning" two free throws. In short, he's moved both feet at least twice and moved 15 to 18 feet across the floor without dribbling. And it's NEVER EVER called a traveling violation. What the heck is that?!!

Some people say "well, he'll get away with that in NBA." What's really going to happen is that he's going to make that spin move with several extra steps and some defender in the pros is going to slam him into the hardwood every time with no call. I, for one, can't wait.

You look at the percentage of his career points that came from the free-throw line and you have to conclude his whole career is basically a sham.

He could have been a great player but he's fallen back on this BS in the last couple of years. IMO he may have the UNC scoring record but he will NOT be considered one of the great ACC players.

Quote Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
    It's true that's there are many instances when the traveling violation is not called. The rules say, for example, that when a player catches the ball in mid-air, his foot that first hits the floor is the pivot foot and may not be moved again. But we all see players regularly come down the with the ball and then move that pivot foot. The point is that most of the time this is done about 25 feet or so from the basket. No harm to anyone.

What Hansbrough does is very different. He will get the ball on the left side of the lane, dribble once to the baseline, pick up his dribble, stop, step towards the foul line with his left foot, spin his body and plant his right foot towards the free-throw line (a traveling violation) and then JUMP into the middle of the lane, landing on both feet, then throw his body into the nearest defender, throw the ball into the air and fall on his back, thus "earning" two free throws. In short, he's moved both feet at least twice and moved 15 to 18 feet across the floor without dribbling. And it's NEVER EVER called a traveling violation. What the heck is that?!!

Some people say "well, he'll get away with that in NBA." What's really going to happen is that he's going to make that spin move with several extra steps and some defender in the pros is going to slam him into the hardwood every time with no call. I, for one, can't wait.

You look at the percentage of his career points that came from the free-throw line and you have to conclude his whole career is basically a sham.

He could have been a great player but he's fallen back on this BS in the last couple of years. IMO he may have the UNC scoring record but he will NOT be considered one of the great ACC players.
    If that were actually the travel rule we'd hardly ever see a legal break-away dunk.

There is a reason why he's come back to college for 4 years. The NBA scouts are not dummies, they know exactly what he is. I've said it for 3 years now, he will not go in the 1st round. And his NBA career, if he has one, will resemble that of Mark Madsen.

incorrect

The rules say, for example, that when a player catches the ball in mid-air, his foot that first hits the floor is the pivot foot and may not be moved again.
    This isn't correct. The first foot to hit the floor does not necessarily become the pivot foot, because the rules allow the player to leave the floor off that foot (before bringing the other one down) and come back down on both feet. From that position, neither foot may be used as a pivot foot.

In addition, a player may pick up their pivot foot without traveling as long as they don't return the pivot foot to the ground before releasing the ball. This is why you often see what looks like two steps on a drive--the first foot that comes down is the pivot foot, and the second foot to come down is the non-pivot foot; as long as the player releases the ball before bringing the pivot foot back down, no traveling has occurred.

See the rules for more details.