Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Cut faced a similar situation against Kansas a few years ago. Told that Shaun Wilson was a few yards short of Duke's single-game rushing record, he put Wilson back into the game, let him get the record and then pulled him.

Not really running up the score.

Steve Spurrier against UNC in 1989?

Now, that was some serious running-up-the-score.
    Also told him, IIRC, that if he got out in the open in the secondary to just go down and not score.

Cut said in the post-gamer that he apologized to Temple’s coach after passing to Rahming because he wanted him to get the record for yards.

Still does not explain the double pass when the game was out of reach, though. I’m not complaining, but that was piling on.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    If Cut were trying to run up the score, he could have found a better way than Chris Katrenick handing off to walk-on running backs.
    Isn't that the truth!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Also told him, IIRC, that if he got out in the open in the secondary to just go down and not score.

Cut said in the post-gamer that he apologized to Temple’s coach after passing to Rahming because he wanted him to get the record for yards.

Still does not explain the double pass when the game was out of reach, though. I’m not complaining, but that was piling on.
    I wonder if cut wasn't truly disgusted with the Temple team and its, well, disgusting behavior.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

The Duke defense playing in much of the game, especially the second half, was like a preview of next year's defense.

As for the play you cited, it gave the Duke offense a chance to have a little clean fun on the field without hurting anyone. It was a light moment after the braggadocio the Owls exuded much of the first half. After the photo op following a Temple TD, I ceased being concerned about decorum. Clearly it was not a priority for Temple.

Now if you want to talk about piling on, consider Auburn's bowl performance.

Good photos here (hope link works; found on Duke Football Twitter feed): https://spark.adobe.com/page/uuDOGVHcDKowk/

Cut's emotional post-game press conference: http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/pl...200&id=6305071

What, if anything, was said on tv about Armstead's absence from the game: https://247sports.com/college/temple...port-126915329

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Cut's emotional post-game press conference: http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/pl...200&id=6305071
    Well worth the listen. What a great guy to have at Duke, not only as our coach but also as a person. I wouldn’t trade him for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    My impression is that the voluble Foley sometimes speaks without thinking. I recognize the symptoms.
    yeah, I blame the crappy Temple attitude and tactics squarely on Foley, and not on the fine city of Philadelphia. His pregame rant about "hitting the longest" was taken quite literally by his lads.
    They were still yapping at our guys and making late hits even as they were getting humiliated.

True. But that screen pass back across the width of the field was surely a sign. We had the game in hand by then I think, and was surprised we ran a trick play. The earlier double-reverse at least was more defendable because we wanted to break the game open.

Not complaining, mind you. But we did open up the playbook a bit too at the end.
    yup, I enjoyed that, and I think it clearly was a dutiful response to what Temple was doing. Marvelous play.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yeah, I blame the crappy Temple attitude and tactics squarely on Foley, and not on the fine city of Philadelphia. His pregame rant about "hitting the longest" was taken quite literally by his lads.
    They were still yapping at our guys and making late hits even as they were getting humiliated.
    And I have to wonder...with Cut knowing that Foley had lost his brother unexpectedly just a few days ago....if that's why he slammed the playbook shut after that gadget play.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    And I have to wonder...with Cut knowing that Foley had lost his brother unexpectedly just a few days ago...if that's why he slammed the playbook shut after that gadget play.
    Yeah, enough was enough at that point. I've watched our 42 point run several times now, what's pretty amazing is that we were down 27-14 with just a minute or two left before the half; and we were
    done scoring with more than ten minutes left in the game...that was a whole lot of points in not much more than one quarter (maybe 21-22 minutes).

I agree. I know, as others have done, that we can justify it, but I thought it was unnecessary, and I would have preferred we not call it. Even if we think they “deserved” it, I would think we and Cut would generally stay above that. But like OPK, I’m not complaining about it. Great win and end to the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Avvocato View Post
    I agree. I know, as others have done, that we can justify it, but I thought it was unnecessary, and I would have preferred we not call it. Even if we think they “deserved” it, I would think we and Cut would generally stay above that. But like OPK, I’m not complaining about it. Great win and end to the season.
    ...and this...there's a fine line between piling on versus allowing your players to run a play they've probably been practicing all year and hoping to run...and it also reminds other teams that sometimes we do run something beside QB keeper off that middle school formation...I hate that formation near the goal line, but kind of like it in the middle of the field...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    With the bowl win, Cutcliffe is now just 4 games from .500 at Duke. 67-72. (3-3 in bowls)
    At many schools, being sub .500 in 11 seasons would be nothing to brag about, but I can't imagine any Duke fan not being proud about what we've watched that man do.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...tcliffe-1.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Yeah, enough was enough at that point. I've watched our 42 point run several times now, what's pretty amazing is that we were down 27-14 with just a minute or two left before the half; and we were
    done scoring with more than ten minutes left in the game...that was a whole lot of points in not much more than one quarter (maybe 21-22 minutes).
    FWIW, Duke scored 42 points in 20:55, from the 1:11 mark in the 2nd Q to 10:16 in the 4th Q. We averaged one TD every three-and-a-half minutes.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    FWIW, Duke scored 42 points in 20:55, from the 1:11 mark in the 2nd Q to 10:16 in the 4th Q. We averaged one TD every three-and-a-half minutes.
    Paul Johnson’s head just exploded.

I have zero problems with the QH to DJ to QH play, and my being OK with it has nothing to do with it being payback for Temple's thuggishness.

It was a three-score game (22 points) with nearly a whole quarter of football left. If we had thrown such a pass with a 3-score lead and 3 or 4 minutes remaining, a different feeling. We were playing to win the game, and to my mind the door wasn't shut yet.

TEMPLE drive start at 14:55.

1-10 TEM 25 RUSSO,Anthony slant pass complete to BRYANT,Ventell for 8 yards to the TEM33 (Young IV,
    L;Hill, B).
    2-2 TEM 33 RUSSO,Anthony slant pass complete to JONES,Randle for 4 yards to the TEM37, 1ST DOWN TEM P18
    (Blackwell, J).
    1-10 TEM 37 RUSSO,Anthony sacked for loss of 10 yards to the TEM27 (Dimukeje, V).
    2-20 TEM 27 RUSSO,Anthony crossing pass incomplete to JONES,Randle (Blackwell, J).
    3-20 TEM 27 RUSSO,Anthony pass incomplete to MACK,Branden.
    4-20 TEM 27 BOWLER,Connor punt 30 yards to the DU43, Rahming, T.J. return 14 yards to the TEM43
    (WINSTON,DaeSean).
    5 plays, 2 yards, 1:43

DUKE drive start at 13:12.
    1-10 TEM 43 Jones, D slant pass complete to Harris, Q for 24 yards to the TEM19, 1ST DOWN DU P20
    (CRUMP,Linwood).

1-10 TEM 19 Durant, M rush over right end for 1 yard to the TEM18 (GRAHAM-MOBLEY,I;BRADLEY,Shaun).
    2-9 TEM 18 Jones, D rush up middle for 5 yards to the TEM13 (GRAHAM-MOBLEY,I).
    3-4 TEM 13 Durant, M rush over right end for 5 yards to the TEM8, 1ST DOWN DU (BRADLEY,Shaun). R21
    1-G TEM 08 Durant, M rush over right end for loss of 2 yards to the TEM10 (BRUTON,Keyvone).
    2-G TEM 10 Jones, D pass complete to Jones, D for 6 yards to the TEM4 (GRAHAM-MOBLEY,I).
    3-G TEM 04 Jones, D crossing pass complete to Koppenhaver, D for 4 yards to the TEM0, TOUCHDOWN,
    clock 10:16.
    1-G TEM 03 Wareham, C kick attempt good.
    Duke 56, Temple 27

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    With the bowl win, Cutcliffe is now just 4 games from .500 at Duke. 67-72. (3-3 in bowls)
    At many schools, being sub .500 in 11 seasons would be nothing to brag about, but I can't imagine any Duke fan not being proud about what we've watched that man do.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...tcliffe-1.html
    We are also inching slightly closer to a .500 overall record for the program, which will be a pretty great milestone!

Paul Johnson’s head just exploded.
    I don't get it .

But seriously, several people have mentioned both Temple's "aggressive" play and the (delightful) trick play in the 2nd half. Obviously it's just conjecture on our part, but I think the two go hand in hand. If Temple isn't showing their rear end for much of the game, I don't think that play happens. Whatever the case, the game was a great way to end the season. Even with Alabama looming on the horizon, I'm very excited about next season.