Page 667 of 3371 FirstFirst ... 16756761765766566666766866967771776711671667 ... LastLast
Results 13,321 to 13,340 of 67406
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    Now I have to do some work. Excel projections. Then a full day of chores. It's like Sunday is Saturday this weekend.
    No, today I'll play golf instead of going to Brunchgate and the football game
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I kinda feel like doing the Time Warp again.

I'm old enough to understand that reference when it was new, but young enough not to really have understood the phenomena.

I'm only 228 posts behind Lavabe in this thread. Will this cause him to write something? Does he still post here? I'm betting we find out soon.

Well, actually now I'm only 226 posts behind because I didn't count that last one but I am counting this one.

Does anybody else get the irony of the argument over calories/heathfulness of McDonald's chicken meal choices in 'The End of Civilization as We Know It' thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Does anybody else get the irony of the argument over calories/heathfulness of McDonald's chicken meal choices in 'The End of Civilization as We Know It' thread?
    Whats the irony? You think discussing food choices is the end of the world?

Yes, I think discussing the healthfulness of McDonald's chicken based meals in a thread entitled 'The End of Civilization as We Know It' is ironic. Civilization, not the world.

Yes, I think discussing the healthfulness of McDonald's chicken based meals in a thread entitled 'The End of Civilization as We Know It' is ironic. Civilization, not the world.
    Eh, too much fattening deep-fried snark in that thread. I lost my appetite pretty quickly...

"It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine..."
    "Quality is not an option!"

Which kind of ironic? Ironic or isn't-it-ironic-even-though-it's-not-irony ironic?

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Which kind of ironic? Ironic or isn't-it-ironic-even-though-it's-not-irony ironic?
    bingo. the best kind! (and most common)

No, the real kind.

Irony, when you try to explain it, always loses something in translation, but, since you've asked, I will try. The original point of the thread was that allowing a McDonald's franchise into the food court at the Louvre was the end of civilization as we know it. You have the Louvre, one of the most famous art museums in the world and a center of French/European/world culture and into it you add a McDonalds. That's not the ironic part, it's a juxtaposition of the high and low brow ends of what we consider civilization. But then the posts in the thread descended into a PPB type argument/discussion/what have you over the health benefits (or lack thereof) of chicken meals one could get at McDonald's. Now really, you don't see the irony in that? You start out with a discussion of what it means to have that juxtaposition, how adding a low brow culture element like McDonald's into the Louvre will affect the feel of the place and we wind up arguing over the healthfulness of the food?

I don't want to get all PPB over here in the LTE, but that's irony folks, whether you get it or not.
    Last edited by Bostondevil; 10-09-2009 at 01:21 AM.

That's not the ironic part, it's a juxtaposition of the high and low brow ends of what we consider civilization.
    I wouldn't call the Louvre low brow. I mean, it's not the Orsay or Uffizi but c'mon . . . .

Good point. Medium brow?

Brow-beaten? McBrow? McLouvre?

When having chicken nuggets the dilemma for me is always barbecue or sweet and sour?

And speaking of ironing, I haven't done much since moving. Which means I have a whole closet full of clothes in need of it.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    When having chicken nuggets the dilemma for me is always barbecue or sweet and sour?
    Sweet and sour.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Sweet and sour.
    Honey mustard.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Honey mustard.
    When I worked at Mac's many many moons ago, we'd dip 'em in the McRib sauce while it was still hot. Yum.