Page 74 of 149 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 2971
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    People are contorting themselves to interpret some positive signals..."turnert" definitely knows his Duke stuff, but has not categorically stated anything (but he's given some positive hints)...people are desperate to know the unknowable at this point, kids can and do change their mind. My original post was to point out that the tsunami of Keels to Nova has receded...he and PBJ are both said to still be in play, and that's encouraging.
    Interesting about PBJ because I noticed a new thread on TDD Premium about him. No idea what the conversation involves but there's been so little discussion about him lately that it was interesting to see his name pop back up so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    Interesting about PBJ because I noticed a new thread on TDD Premium about him. No idea what the conversation involves but there's been so little discussion about him lately that it was interesting to see his name pop back up so to speak.
    yeah, he like Keels seemed to be destined elsewhere, though the kids themselves are saying nothing...we only have to look back as far as the Zion surprise to keep some level of hope...

There isn't anything new about Baldwin, Jr. The new thread there was just to separate out discussion as Keels has set a decision date and there is some cryptic intel that suggests Duke might be his landing spot.

My view of things for the last 3-6 months (it's hard to keep track of the passage of time these days) has been that the Class of 2021 recruiting would pick up steam after the season ended and would stretch in to April. That is playing out. It's decision time for Keels and Baldwin, Jr., and in that order.

For Keels, the situation is basically the same at all of his finalists. The most playing time as a freshman will be available at Kentucky. But that offer came very late in the game. He has established relationships with Jay Wright and Coach K (and Tony Bennett, for that matter, although there is no buzz there). There will be competition for playing time at Duke, Nova, and Virginia but the potential for playing on contending teams as a freshman and beyond. I think he's a very talented player and could be a great fit on any team. Who wouldn't want a 6'5" guard that scores from all three levels, has good passing vision and instincts, and plays on both ends? That's a player that will fit anywhere. Should Keels go elsewhere, expect the staff to pivot, either to another incoming freshman or grad transfer. They need another guard.

If Duke lands Keels, the offer will still be out for Baldwin, Jr. Coach K has been committed to him for a loooooooooong time. He received the earliest offer Coach K has ever made, when he was a sophomore in high school. He'll wait on him until the very end. I suspect that, if Baldwin, Jr. decides not to come to Duke, there won't be another wing offered. Duke is loaded at that position for next season with all of Baker, Moore, Brakefield, and Griffin capable of playing on the wings or as a forward. I expect Baldwin will be a very good scorer, but it's not like Duke will be deficient at that position without him. In some ways, Baldwin could be seen as a luxury. Then again, Marvin Bagley III was a luxury for the recruiting class and he ended up being the best offensive weapon on the team and ACC POTY. I see Baldwin in a similar light. He could be that good, albeit from a very different position. We'll see what he decides to do.

Appreciate the info David.

Well, there IS some news on PBJ, given that he was (on that board) written off just a few weeks ago, and now he isn't. Doesn't make him likely at Duke (or not) but he's still theoretically in play...

Well, there IS some news on PBJ, given that he was (on that board) written off just a few weeks ago, and now he isn't. Doesn't make him likely at Duke (or not) but he's still theoretically in play...
    Yeah, that thread I alluded to has 108 responses/comments in 24 hours or so, and I wouldn't imagine they're all saying we basically have no shot. Surely there's been something at least a little encouraging to prompt that volume of responses.

Yeah, that thread I alluded to has 108 responses/comments in 24 hours or so, and I wouldn't imagine they're all saying we basically have no shot. Surely there's been something at least a little encouraging to prompt that volume of responses.
    I've read through it and do not find much in the way of real information. There is a lot there but little of substance.

yeah, some people there want updates every five minutes. But at least it would appear that the Baldwin door is not 100% shut...

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I've read through it and do not find much in the way of real information. There is a lot there but little of substance.
    Oh ok. David, others, appreciate you guys taking the time to share what you can.

yeah, some people there want updates every five minutes. But at least it would appear that the Baldwin door is not 100% shut...
    I suppose my view is and always has been: The door is never closed until it is closed. Some recruits surprise with their decisions (see Williamson, Zion). Duke is still among his finalists so there is still a chance for the hopeful. The general consensus seems to be that he wants to play for his father. He hasn't made or announced that decision yet. There was a poster on that forum that has a direct source. That was the one source that had any real news, but the situation hasn't changed for a few months.

As they say in the Talmud, everything else is commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I suppose my view is and always has been: The door is never closed until it is closed. Some recruits surprise with their decisions (see Williamson, Zion). Duke is still among his finalists so there is still a chance for the hopeful. The general consensus seems to be that he wants to play for his father. He hasn't made or announced that decision yet. There was a poster on that forum that has a direct source. That was the one source that had any real news, but the situation hasn't changed for a few months.

As they say in the Talmud, everything else is commentary.
    There's also the possibility that a commitment from Keels would influence him in a positive manner, the chance to join a really good group.

Where would Baldwin play?

I really don’t understand how Baldwin would see the floor with who is returning. Sometimes you can have too much talent and it ends up causing dissension.

I like Baldwin and his offensive skill set a lot. And Coach K is obviously very high on him with the early offer and being committed to the end. But unless the freshmen to sophomore growth spurt for that class is a total bust and adding Banchero, AJ and Keels, it seems like we have quite enough talent to be a top 5 team next year if he decides to play for dad. Keels also fills the same need that Patrick does. Shooting.

There's also the possibility that a commitment from Keels would influence him in a positive manner, the chance to join a really good group.
    I was thinking this as well. Goldwire has experienced a lot in his time at Duke, playing with some amazing teammates and winning an ACC title. But he has never made the final four. Maybe he wants to come back for one more go at it before he moves on. It’s totally his decision obviously, but would be awesome to have him back.

We need a shooter, plain and simple. I guess there's hope that someone on the team can fill that role, but other than Hurt, we sure struggled from beyond the arc.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion View Post
    I really don’t understand how Baldwin would see the floor with who is returning. Sometimes you can have too much talent and it ends up causing dissension.
    At the 4.

Williams will come off the bench.

Baldwin will almost certainly make his decision after Matthew Hurt announces his NBA draft decision. It wouldn't make sense for Baldwin to decide until he has that information. I agree he play at the 4 and push Mark Williams to the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Baldwin will almost certainly make his decision after Matthew Hurt announces his NBA draft decision. It wouldn't make sense for Baldwin to decide until he has that information. I agree he play at the 4 and push Mark Williams to the bench.
    Baldwin's NBA position is at SF. He can easily play wing at Duke. Regardless of who starts, if we are fortunate enough to have Baldwin, Banchero, Griffin, and Williams all at Duke together next year, I think there would be plenty of time those 4 guys would be on the floor together. If you have seen highlights of Baldwin's advanced handle and court vision, you know he can play the 2 or the 3 for Duke... heck, he could probably play PG if we really needed it.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Baldwin's NBA position is at SF. He can easily play wing at Duke. Regardless of who starts, if we are fortunate enough to have Baldwin, Banchero, Griffin, and Williams all at Duke together next year, I think there would be plenty of time those 4 guys would be on the floor together. If you have seen highlights of Baldwin's advanced handle and court vision, you know he can play the 2 or the 3 for Duke... heck, he could probably play PG if we really needed it.
    I agree with you but K tend to always shift up than down when it comes to positions. We're likely to see PBJ at center than at the small forward position given his height and weight of 6'10 225. Like wise AJ Griffin at 6'7 220+ will see more minutes at the 4 than 2.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    I agree with you but K tend to always shift up than down when it comes to positions. We're likely to see PBJ at center than at the small forward position given his height and weight of 6'10 225. Like wise AJ Griffin at 6'7 220+ will see more minutes at the 4 than 2.
    For what it is worth, there is a great deal of discrepancy between Baldwin's listed height/weight at different sites. ESPN does list him at 6'10", 225lb. But 247Sports lists him at 6'9", 190lb. Based on the video I've seen of him, I'd guess the 247 data is closer. I'd be surprised if he played C at Duke, but I'd be surprised if he played much at SF too. I agree with Griffin being more likely to play PF than SG in a vacuum as well.

That said, it will also depend on team makeup. If we are light on guards, then we may be forced to play bigger.