Page 73 of 149 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 2971
    For a very long time, the best bet has been to assume that every Duke player who could possibly leave, would leave. I can't recall being surprised to the upside (fan's upside), well, ever. Before Avery, I never really thought that anyone would leave.

Nevertheless...

If JG's dad said he hasn't made up his mind, I assume JG hasn't made up his mind.

I haven't read that Wendell planned to transfer.

If Hurt and Williams are told they'll not be 1st round picks (and most internet sources don't have either getting drafted at all), would they still leave early?

Seven months of the Washington Duke, the absence of Cameron crowds, lots of losses, last week's disappointment... I imagine all of the players could use a little breathing room before making a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    For a very long time, the best bet has been to assume that every Duke player who could possibly leave, would leave. I can't recall being surprised to the upside (fan's upside), well, ever.
    I share in your frustration at the number of borderline players who decided to leave. But to be fair, guys who did choose to stay longer than they could have include

- Hurt (based on recruiting ranking and subsequent transfer rumors)
    - Bolden (also based on recruiting ranking and subsequent transfer rumors)
    - DeLaurier (entered his name in the draft after junior year and did receive a combine invite)
    - Tre Jones (could have gone after freshman year and been a second round pick)
    - Grayson (twice)

That's not a lot, but it's something.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    For a very long time, the best bet has been to assume that every Duke player who could possibly leave, would leave. I can't recall being surprised to the upside (fan's upside), well, ever.
    You can't? What about Matt Hurt coming back this year? What about Tre Jones coming back for last year? What about Grayson Allen coming back for four years?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    You can't? What about Matt Hurt coming back this year? What about Tre Jones coming back for last year? What about Grayson Allen coming back for four years?
    And Plumlee for his senior year, and Singler for his senior year, and Redick for his senior year.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    And Plumlee for his senior year, and Singler for his senior year, and Redick for his senior year.
    Nolan for his senior year.

Should also keep in mind, we had 4 years of Grant Hill, Christian Laettner and Bobby Hurley, and two years of Elton Brand

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    Should also keep in mind, we had 4 years of Grant Hill, Christian Laettner and Bobby Hurley, and two years of Elton Brand
    - 4 years of JJ
    - 4 year of Shelden
    - 3 years of Henderson
    - 3 years of Boozer, Jay Williams, Dunleavy

Sadly, only 2 years of Patrick Davidson.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    - 4 years of JJ
    - 4 year of Shelden
    - 3 years of Henderson

Sadly, only 2 years of Patrick Davidson.
    Not sure the universe could handle more than 2 years of Patrick Davidson. His 2 years was like 20 years for most players.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I share in your frustration at the number of borderline players who decided to leave. But to be fair, guys who did choose to stay longer than they could have include

- Hurt (based on recruiting ranking and subsequent transfer rumors)
    - Bolden (also based on recruiting ranking and subsequent transfer rumors)
    - DeLaurier (entered his name in the draft after junior year and did receive a combine invite)
    - Tre Jones (could have gone after freshman year and been a second round pick)
    - Grayson (twice)

That's not a lot, but it's something.
    Re Javin: yes. A junior year in which he averaged 3.8 ppg and 4.4 rpg

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    Come on now. Entirely different era, entirely different standards.

Much equivocation now on the Keels front...best advice is to hope for the best on April 4...same for the PBJ man for that matter...

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Full credit to the crazies! According to JWill himself, he was all ready to turn pro after his soph season (he would have been a top 3 pick, for sure) but when he stepped up to the mike at the National Championship rally, he heard the crowd chanting, "one more year, one more year" and he got caught up in the moment. He screamed, "We're gonna do it again next year, I'm coming back!" to thunderous applause. Then he left the stage called him mom and said, "Uhhhhh, I think I just made a huge mistake." Hahahahaha!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Much equivocation now on the Keels front...best advice is to hope for the best on April 4...same for the PBJ man for that matter...
    Link?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Full credit to the crazies! According to JWill himself, he was all ready to turn pro after his soph season (he would have been a top 3 pick, for sure) but when he stepped up to the mike at the National Championship rally, he heard the crowd chanting, "one more year, one more year" and he got caught up in the moment. He screamed, "We're gonna do it again next year, I'm coming back!" to thunderous applause. Then he left the stage called him mom and said, "Uhhhhh, I think I just made a huge mistake." Hahahahaha!
    That's actually a pretty sobering story when you consider the random causal dominoes that would almost certainly have led to a different end to his career had he left a year earlier. (Determinists need not apply.)

Quote Originally Posted by GGLC View Post
    That's actually a pretty sobering story when you consider the random causal dominoes that would almost certainly have led to a different end to his career had he left a year earlier. (Determinists need not apply.)
    I am sure there is a butterfly somewhere that could have flapped its wings differently and caused JWill not to crash his motorcycle into that streetlight pole. So sad...
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Williams has said in interviews that he is very grateful that he DID stay that extra year, because the education he received and the connections he made were what eventually opened the door for his broadcasting career. He has stated that had he not returned for his junior year and then the motorcycle accident happened, he would have been completely lost as to what to do with his life.

I understand that what you guys are suggesting is that had he left earlier then we'd enter some alternate dimension where accident doesn't happen. But I like Williams' view on how things turned out and the benefits of staying in school.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Williams has said in interviews that he is very grateful that he DID stay that extra year, because the education he received and the connections he made were what eventually opened the door for his broadcasting career. He has stated that had he not returned for his junior year and then the motorcycle accident happened, he would have been completely lost as to what to do with his life.

I understand that what you guys are suggesting is that had he left earlier then we'd enter some alternate dimension where accident doesn't happen. But I like Williams' view on how things turned out and the benefits of staying in school.
    My wife sat next to Williams on a flight from Indy to LA the day after Zion and company thrashed Kentucky. She said he was very polite, bright, nice, and open. He also played computer chess when not chatting.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Link?
    Some "insiders" flipped the pick back to Duke.

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitut...rtPredictions/

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    My wife sat next to Williams on a flight from Indy to LA the day after Zion and company thrashed Kentucky. She said he was very polite, bright, nice, and open. He also played computer chess when not chatting.
    JWill was/is a very good chess player.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by dukelion View Post
    Some "insiders" flipped the pick back to Duke.

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitut...rtPredictions/
    People are contorting themselves to interpret some positive signals..."turnert" definitely knows his Duke stuff, but has not categorically stated anything (but he's given some positive hints)...people are desperate to know the unknowable at this point, kids can and do change their mind. My original post was to point out that the tsunami of Keels to Nova has receded...he and PBJ are both said to still be in play, and that's encouraging.