Page 690 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 190590640680688689690691692700740790 ... LastLast
Results 13,781 to 13,800 of 22195
    Quote Originally Posted by PensDevil View Post
    Pfizer requests EUA for ages 12-15.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...12-15-n1263649
    Thanks for sharing.

Question for those in the know - are all the trials for children the EXACT same vaccine/dosage as for adults? It seems that way. Is there some precedence when giving it to a 2-year old, as an example, that typically lower dosages of a vaccine are needed and are the trials attempting that?

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by PensDevil View Post
    Pfizer requests EUA for ages 12-15.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...12-15-n1263649
    That's great news. Not unexpected, but it should will help with reopening schools safely.

Early numbers indicate that the suicide rate actually declined last year. I had conversations with several COVID deniers/minimizers who argued that COVID death tolls ignored the inevitable increase in suicide from COVID mitigation efforts.

The article suggests a "heroism" effect as one cause of the decline. I also wonder if the slower pace of life wasn't a net-positive for mental health that offset the negative effect of decreased social interaction. Anecdotally, my wife and I have talked about how much calmer our life has been without running hither and thither to kids events, committee meetings, work travel, etc. We are trying to figure out ways to keep from automatically returning to our pre-pandemic level of busyness.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    Early numbers indicate that the suicide rate actually declined last year. I had conversations with several COVID deniers/minimizers who argued that COVID death tolls ignored the inevitable increase in suicide from COVID mitigation efforts.

The article suggests a "heroism" effect as one cause of the decline. I also wonder if the slower pace of life wasn't a net-positive for mental health that offset the negative effect of decreased social interaction. Anecdotally, my wife and I have talked about how much calmer our life has been without running hither and thither to kids events, committee meetings, work travel, etc. We are trying to figure out ways to keep from automatically returning to our pre-pandemic level of busyness.
    Unfortunately, the homicide rate has increased substantially. In 2020 compared to 2019, it was 50% higher in Chicago, 30% higher in LA, and 40% higher in NYC...overall, murders were up 37% across 57 agencies when examined last September.
    https://www.npr.org/2021/01/06/953254623/massive-1-year-rise-in-homicide-rates-collided-with-the-pandemic-in-2020

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Unfortunately, the homicide rate has increased substantially. In 2020 compared to 2019, it was 50% higher in Chicago, 30% higher in LA, and 40% higher in NYC...overall, murders were up 37% across 57 agencies when examined last September.
    https://www.npr.org/2021/01/06/95325...ndemic-in-2020
    I'm on record as hating % increase as a statistical measure (1 murder to 2 murders is a 100% increase, for example), so, I would rather know trends or actual numbers. Here's Chicago - https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...urges-75005949. Not sure about trends before 2016. Would be interesting to see. Is it a blip or have things changed from a downward trend to an upward trend or is it merely fluctuation around a mean? All things are possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Thanks for sharing.

Question for those in the know - are all the trials for children the EXACT same vaccine/dosage as for adults? It seems that way. Is there some precedence when giving it to a 2-year old, as an example, that typically lower dosages of a vaccine are needed and are the trials attempting that?
    The Pfizer vaccine they are requesting EUA for age 12-15 adolescents is the exact same dosage as for adults. And it works extremely well for them (better efficacy at 100% in their study) with similar safety/side effects as seen in adults.

But the vaccines ARE being tested at lower dosages for all children younger than age 12. It's very safe to assume that they are Not going to give a 2 year old the same dosage that they give an adult. That is why we probably won't see vaccines approved for 2 year olds and ages 11 and under until around Christmas or later. The lower dosages are currently being tested in this younger children age group, and they are trying to determine the best and right lower dose for them.

Hope that helps! That is all me paraphrasing Dr. Ohl's (Wake Forest Infectious Disease MD) Covid update from last week.

Numbers of infections are not coming down in Massachusetts yet, but there were only 3 reported deaths. That is good news.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Numbers of infections are not coming down in Massachusetts yet, but there were only 3 reported deaths. That is good news.
    yes, definitely a major trend in cases up and deaths down, at least in our fine region...seems like a logical consequence to vaccinating oldsters first...now we have to jab the young ones ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yes, definitely a major trend in cases up and deaths down, at least in our fine region...seems like a logical consequence to vaccinating oldsters first...now we have to jab the young ones ASAP.
    Also, many young folks seem extremely cavalier regarding the safety precautions. Those of us a bit older have more patience, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Also, many young folks seem extremely cavalier regarding the safety precautions. Those of us a bit older have more patience, I believe.
    I keep finding myself sticking up for younger people. There are cavalier folks of all ages. (My parents have friends who traveled to see their grandchildren pre-vaccination and other who did the same pre 2nd vaccination, for example.) The younger ones get the press. And the main reason spread persists among younger people is because they make up the majority of essential workers who are out and about everyday because of work. That said, they also make up the majority of people going to bars.

I keep finding myself sticking up for younger people. There are cavalier folks of all ages. (My parents have friends who traveled to see their grandchildren pre-vaccination and other who did the same pre 2nd vaccination, for example.) The younger ones get the press. And the main reason spread persists among younger people is because they make up the majority of essential workers who are out and about everyday because of work. That said, they also make up the majority of people going to bars.
    Yes, and they are also the group mostly unvaccinated.

I agree they are working frontlines, which is not insignificant.

Yes, and they are also the group mostly unvaccinated.

I agree they are working frontlines, which is not insignificant.
    Yep.

Alas, we had to choose between "most likely to die" and "most likely to come in contact with an infected person" once we got past vaccinating healthcare workers and elderly people in communal living situations. Those groups were no-brainers for the head of the line. After that, we had to pick a lane because "most likely to die" and "most likely to come in contact with an infected person" were two different groups. If they were the same group, also a no-brainer to vaccinate whatever that group was first. But, since we do have to make that policy choice, either death rates comes down first or infection rates come down first but they aren't both coming down together, at least not at the same rate.

I read an article looking at youth sports as a significant means of new spread. They were not sure if it was from exposure during sports itself or from other things like carpooling and gather at peoples houses for post game/practice dinner/socializing.

Absolutely true, most don't know anyone in their age group who has become severely ill I suppose...Even though my wife and I are all jabbed up, we're still being cautious...

My wife and I had to travel this week, and I can definitively say that people in all age groups are seeming more cavalier regarding safety precautions.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I read an article looking at youth sports as a significant means of new spread. They were not sure if it was from exposure during sports itself or from other things like carpooling and gather at peoples houses for post game/practice dinner/socializing.
    Believable but not something we can completely blame on young people. Sounds like a lot of cavalier parents involved.

Well I was as careful as anyone from March 5th 2020 until April 1, 2021. Stayed holed up at home, used groc delivery, and was a complete CDC model citizen. But now I知 over a month post-2nd dose and have really loosened up last two weeks: went to movies twice, went to a few restaurants and even ventured with vaccinated family to Charlie Goodnights (comedy club) Friday night. I was surprised to see the club packed and unmasked, with food and drinks at table being ostensible reason. But I felt safe - hope not unreasonably so? What a change. Anyone think I知 being irresponsible or unwise? Serious question.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Well I was as careful as anyone from March 5th 2020 until April 1, 2021. Stayed holed up at home, used groc delivery, and was a complete CDC model citizen. But now I知 over a month post-2nd dose and have really loosened up last two weeks: went to movies twice, went to a few restaurants and even ventured with vaccinated family to Charlie Goodnights (comedy club) Friday night. I was surprised to see the club packed and unmasked, with food and drinks at table being ostensible reason. But I felt safe - hope not unreasonably so? What a change. Anyone think I知 being irresponsible or unwise? Serious question.
    Thank you for blazing the trail. My biggest concern is mutations that are no longer effective vs the vaccines. I get my second shot in 6 days and my wife a week later. Can't wait until the kids can get vaccinated, then it will start to feel "normal", maybe.

Well I was as careful as anyone from March 5th 2020 until April 1, 2021. Stayed holed up at home, used groc delivery, and was a complete CDC model citizen. But now I’m over a month post-2nd dose and have really loosened up last two weeks: went to movies twice, went to a few restaurants and even ventured with vaccinated family to Charlie Goodnights (comedy club) Friday night. I was surprised to see the club packed and unmasked, with food and drinks at table being ostensible reason. But I felt safe - hope not unreasonably so? What a change. Anyone think I’m being irresponsible or unwise? Serious question.
    I’m struggling with this too as I reach full immunity. It was clearly wrong to treat COVID as “just the flu” before the vaccine for a host of reasons. After the vaccine though, is that really still the case? Am I largely immune, but if I get it the case will be milder?

Time will give better answers to these questions, and I think the professionals are urging caution and a slow emergence as opposed to flipping a neon “we are open” switch. And I think the level of community spread in your locale probably factors into the risk equation too, as does the presence or absence of co-morbidities in each individual’s case.

Unfortunately, I suspect we will learn the answers over the coming weeks months. I know that "return to normal" has been the carrot for getting people to get vaccinated, but I don't honestly know how realistic that is. My understanding is that the benefit of the vaccine is two-fold:

1) It greatly decreases the likelihood that you will contract the virus
    2) If you do contract the virus, it dramatically decreases the chances of a severe case (hospitalization or death).

What this doesn't protect against, is contracting the virus and passing it to someone else - most dangerously if you are asymptomatic and unaware. This is where I see the complications of being unmasked in mixed company.

I've heard LOTS of people declare proudly that now that they are vaccinated, they can't wait to be maskless in public. This is a dangerous attitude, if an understandable one.

From what I understand from the CDC and other learned people, you can comfortably be maskless in groups of other vaccinated people. A family gathering, neighborhood group, etc. Hand out some hugs, etc. Doing so in public carries some risks to yourself and others.

Experts, please feel free to correct me.