Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Incentivize. It's ghastly. The word "incent" was good enough for centuries, now we have to have incentivize (used so often it's a word)...I think I'll just walkerize away...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Incentivize. It's ghastly. The word "incent" was good enough for centuries, now we have to have incentivize (used so often it's a word)...I think I'll just walkerize away...
    Huh? I thought 'incent' was something you lit to de-stress.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    These all made me laugh. Especially ecpeshally.

How about “set” vs sit.

But what really makes my skin crawl is bad grammar..And what I find the most grating is the use of “I” as an object. As in “that was a lot of fun for Frank and I.” My most irritating memory was a thank you note I received from a Princeton grad... “thank you for attending Sam and I’s wedding”
    Using "I" as an object is really the worst because people who do that are conscious of the issue, they're trying to be grammatically correct and almost show off that they're going to say something that sounds a bit weird to others but are doing so to show how smart they are. And then they outsmart themselves by using I as an object. Dum.

If we're getting in usage, utilize when use works just fine.

But for pronunciation: "mis-chee-vee-ous".

-jk

ectcetera, ectcetera...

ectcetera, ectcetera...
    Great work Yul Brynner.

ectcetera, ectcetera...
    Yul Brynner in The King and I solved that one for me.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Using "I" as an object is really the worst because people who do that are conscious of the issue, they're trying to be grammatically correct and almost show off that they're going to say something that sounds a bit weird to others but are doing so to show how smart they are. And then they outsmart themselves by using I as an object. Dum.
    Yep. They call it “over refinement.” It is a fairly common error.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Yep. They call it “over refinement.” It is a fairly common error.
    Along with adding syllables because of my twang, I routinely screw up the I/me thing. I would like to think this is a safe space for this kind of self-appraisal. But I know better. It's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    “On behalf of my wife and myself...”. Yikes.
    From a LinkedIn post for a position...today!

"In addition to the normal roles of this position, you will also work on valuable special projects directly with the controller and myself." (emphasis added)

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    From a LinkedIn post for a position...today!

"In addition to the normal roles of this position, you will also work on valuable special projects directly with the controller and myself." (emphasis added)
    Link please! Somebody will be able to take this person's job! But not I...er me.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Link please! Somebody will be able to take this person's job! But not I...er me.
    Might need the grammar refs to decide this one. I think it should be “But not I.” As in, “But I will not be able to take this person’s job.”

Someone help, please.

In these situations I find it is best to defer to De La Soul:
    https://youtu.be/P8-9mY-JACM

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Might need the grammar refs to decide this one. I think it should be “But not I.” As in, “But I will not be able to take this person’s job.”

Someone help, please.
    This is harder, and because of that it doesn’t bother me if people make a mistake. I believe it should be “but not me”, because I think the subject and verb are implied (“it is”)...as in but it is not me. But I could be mistaken.

My mother-in-law, who always finds new and interesting ways to bother me, refers to the Hanukah food latkes (rhymes with vodkas) as lot-keys. I always reinforce the proper way of saying it so my kids don't get confused.

I have a friend who pronounces Mark Cuban's last name Q-BEN, with the emphasis on Ben.

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

The sound of it is something quite atrocious.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    This is harder, and because of that it doesn’t bother me if people make a mistake. I believe it should be “but not me”, because I think the subject and verb are implied (“it is”)...as in but it is not me. But I could be mistaken.
    Hmm, yes, still a tough one. Try this maybe.

(1) “It is not I who will criticize that fellow.” = “I will not criticize that fellow.”

(2) “It is not me who will criticize him.” = “Me will not criticize him.”

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    My mother-in-law, who always finds new and interesting ways to bother me, refers to the Hanukah food latkes (rhymes with vodkas) as lot-keys. I always reinforce the proper way of saying it so my kids don't get confused.

I have a friend who pronounces Mark Cuban's last name Q-BEN, with the emphasis on Ben.
    I've actually read that the pronunciation of latkes is a regional thing. In Hebrew, they use a different word all together. So, certain English dialects have Americanized the Yiddish in different ways, just like we don't say meh-hee-ko and instead say Mex-ih-ko. I still think latkahs is more correct based on how one would say it in Yiddish, but it's tricky with words of non English origin. See article below.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2006-12-17-0612170001-story.html

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Hmm, yes, still a tough one. Try this maybe.

(1) “It is not I who will criticize that fellow.” = “I will not criticize that fellow.”

(2) “It is not me who will criticize him.” = “Me will not criticize him.”
    I think you have it. “I” is the subject. But I was correct when I said I could be mistaken....

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post

I have one that bothers me and I am trapped in this cycle. I love beef bulgogi and I feel like I'm being messed with (which I support actually, I deserve it). I will pronounce it bul-go-jee and the person will reply "You mean bul-go-gee?" So the next time I say bul-go-gee and they say: "You mean bul-go-jee?". Without fail. I have the Stockholm (or maybe Seoul?) Syndrome over it.