View Poll Results: Who will win the South region?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Duke

117 93.60%
  • Not Duke

8 6.40%
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    Living in SD and having a roommate who is SDSU alumn I watch a lot of their games. This squad is not one of their better teams. I would describe them as a poor man's Louisville. Not much offense but physical defense. Play a lot of games in the 50s.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    Who should I root for with this St. John's SDSU game? San Diego is clearly the better team overall with Obekpa out, but St. John's has better guards that can exploit Duke's weaknesses better, plus, we've already played them so they should have a much better idea for what they'd want to do in terms of a game plan. I'm leaning towards rooting St. John's, but not 100%
    Well Polee of Sdsu thinks he's the 2nd coming of Beau Beech and Pointer is clearly best ąthlete in tourney. We're doomed.

Kenpom says SDSU is the 4th best defensive team in the country (UVA number 2) and has an offense that is actually well worse than Louisville's. They are in the 170s in offensive efficiency on the season.

Granted they don't look like it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Kenpom says SDSU is the 4th best defensive team in the country (UVA number 2) and has an offense that is actually well worse than Louisville's. They are in the 170s in offensive efficiency on the season.

Granted they don't look like it right now.
    Watching the Game.. Who whould you rather play? I think SDSU. MY reason is that I don't think sdsu can keep shooting 3s like this and pointer on St Johns is a scary driver. I think we can guard 3s better than we guard nasty dribble penetration.

Thoughts?

If our opponent is SDSU, I'll be surprised if they don't Hackafor. They play lots of guys, and have some size. As one of the TV panels noted, as Duke goes further, Jahlil's FT-shooting is a major issue. I suppose StJ couldn't afford that approach, lacking size and depth.

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    Watching the Game.. Who whould you rather play? I think SDSU. MY reason is that I don't think sdsu can keep shooting 3s like this and pointer on St Johns is a scary driver. I think we can guard 3s better than we guard nasty dribble penetration.

Thoughts?
    I hesitate to take a position under the "be careful what you wish for" line of thinking. That said, in the abstract, I would far prefer to play offensively challenged but defensively strong teams than teams that have offensive skills and also play decent defense. I think our defense is good enough to stop bad offenses but vulnerable to good/decent offenses, and I like our offense against basically any defense.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

I agree with gofurman, I think. Their season stats say they can't shoot threes this well. They'll revert to the mean at some point. Ideally they shoot jot of their minds for the rest of thus game and then revert on Sunday. That would be ideal.

I'd rather see St John's. Obekpa is suspended. Jah would have a field day.

Duke-San Diego State/St. John's tipping at 2:40 Sunday. (Probably later. Thirty minutes after Michigan State-Virginia at 12:10.)

These teams are just...gross.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I hesitate to take a position under the "be careful what you wish for" line of thinking. That said, in the abstract, I would far prefer to play offensively challenged but defensively strong teams than teams that have offensive skills and also play decent defense. I think our defense is good enough to stop bad offenses but vulnerable to good/decent offenses, and I like our offense against basically any defense.
    This tends to be my position as well, but I sure am conflicted watching the actual game. One moment I'm like "SDSU is doing too well! They'll give us fits!", the next moment I see St. John's flying around wildly on a fast break like toddlers on a sugar high, I think "Oh no, a crazy team that will just beat us down the floor non-stop when we lose focus".

Basically, I just want Duke to be ready on Sunday, no matter who it is. (And having watched Coach K's postgame press conference, I'm confident they will be). Figuring out the better matchup is too much stress. :-)

I am worried about SDSU... They are patient and athletic and long. We need our bigs to dominate.

SDSU fans chanting "We want Duke" at the 54.3 second mark. Let's hope we give them what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    SDSU fans chanting "We want Duke" at the 54.3 second mark.
    I mean, it's that or go home. That's how the bracket works.

careful what you wish for
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Yep. Someone else made a Louisville comparison. I'll take that analogy - I like playing teams that are 'supposedly' (not tonight( offensively challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by KandG View Post
    This tends to be my position as well, but I sure am conflicted watching the actual game. One moment I'm like "SDSU is doing too well! They'll give us fits!", the next moment I see St. John's flying around wildly on a fast break like toddlers on a sugar high, I think "Oh no, a crazy team that will just beat us down the floor non-stop when we lose focus".

Basically, I just want Duke to be ready on Sunday, no matter who it is. (And having watched Coach K's postgame press conference, I'm confident they will be). Figuring out the better matchup is too much stress. :-)
    Where can I see the post game press conference? Thanks

South Regional games this weekend (all times Eastern).

Saturday

12:10pm, CBS: (14) UAB vs. (11) UCLA
    7:45pm, CBS: (5) Utah vs. (4) Georgetown

Sunday

2:40pm, CBS: (8) SDSU vs. (1) Duke
    7:10pm, TBS: (7) Iowa vs. (2) Gonzaga

Tony Parker off to a great start against UAB. I hope he conserves some energy in the second half for what is likely to be an epic post-game presser (win or lose).

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    Well Polee of Sdsu thinks he's the 2nd coming of Beau Beech and Pointer is clearly best ąthlete in tourney. We're doomed.
    Well since we only beat the team that beat North Fla by 29 and North Fla was clearly the best team in the tournament we are doomed.