Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke vs. Louisville (Mon, 2/8, 7 pm, ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Another quick Saturday-Monday turn, but at least this one stays in the friendly confines of Cameron, as Duke hosts Louisville on Monday night. We'll see how the Cardinals react to both their big win over Carolina and whether they can continue to be motivated given the self-imposed postseason ban.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Keep it classy

In a post-game interview on Saturday, with John Roth I think, Coach K asked the fans to be "even louder" than they were against NCSU, but to keep the cheering about Duke vs. Louisville, the basketball game between two classy schools, not about the situation that Coach Pitino or the school "finds themselves in." Such a good move by our wise coach. One can only imagine the signs about this one: strippers, prostitutes, etc. OMG.

Duke will need to play good defense for 40 minutes (or close) to win. With such little preparation time, I don't think Duke's offense will be fully prepared for Louisville's matchup zone that will sometimes confuse opponents by switching from zone to pure man within the same possession. There's also the matter of preparing for their press.

Can Duke get it done on defense? I believe so. I think Matt can hold Damion Lee down, and Grayson can do the same with Trey Lewis. Derryck can be disruptive on Snyder using ball pressure. The key, as it often is, is that Duke will need to defensive rebound at a decent rate (say, 65%) and not get totally killed on the boards. Louisville is an excellent offensive rebounding team.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Duke will need to play good defense for 40 minutes (or close) to win. With such little preparation time, I don't think Duke's offense will be fully prepared for Louisville's matchup zone that will sometimes confuse opponents by switching from zone to pure man within the same possession. There's also the matter of preparing for their press.

Can Duke get it done on defense? I believe so. I think Matt can hold Damion Lee down, and Grayson can do the same with Trey Lewis. Derryck can be disruptive on Snyder using ball pressure. The key, as it often is, is that Duke will need to defensive rebound at a decent rate (say, 65%) and not get totally killed on the boards. Louisville is an excellent offensive rebounding team.
    Is Damion Lee definitely back? I know he missed Saturday's game but I wasn't sure if that was a long-term injury.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

I think Matt can hold Damion Lee down...
    Lee did not play in the game against Boston College. Is he available tomorrow? I didn't hear why he was out on Saturday.
    Bob Green

You guys are right. It's not a done deal that Lee will play. Per Louisville journalist:

rickbozichVerified account@rickbozich 22h22 hours ago
    Asked about percentage chance that he'll play at Duke Monday, Damion Lee looked at ice pack on left knee and declined to assign a number.

Scroll down to very bottom of this article -- http://www.wave3.com/story/31159399/...remony-surreal

Logical inference is that he's "probable" rather than "doubtful."

These next four games define our season. No more pining away for injured players, we gotta match up against the best and get some big Ws. Still no victories against ranked teams, but we can change a lot in the next two weeks.

We definitely control our destiny.

Posted this on the last game string, but Duke lost the rebounding battle to NC State 38 to 29 and I think Louisville has some good and very aggressive rebounders. MP3 did okay against NC State but might have foul troubles against Louisville and their aggressiveness so I hope Chase can give him a rest while providing meaningful minutes.

I also think that Luke's PT should reflect the offensive threat he can be, perhaps at Matt's expense. Matt has been slumping offensively and his rebounding is very limited while Lukes defense is pretty good. It will be interesting to see how the PT is allotted in the back court.

Louisville's self imposed tournament ban can have an impact.

Are the Louisville players motivated to finish strong and have an impact, or are they disincented/ feeling betrayed by the school?

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Louisville's self imposed tournament ban can have an impact.

Are the Louisville players motivated to finish strong and have an impact, or are they disincented/ feeling betrayed by the school?
    Based on their dominant performance yesterday, I think the idea that the Louisville players are not motivated is off base.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Still no victories against ranked teams, but we can change a lot in the next two weeks.

We definitely control our destiny.
    This is still not true. We beat Indiana (still).

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    This is still not true. We beat Indiana (still).
    Indiana was not ranked at the time.

Indiana was not ranked at the time.
    Committees don't care. No one who beat ky or duke early is getting credit for a top win.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Posted this on the last game string, but Duke lost the rebounding battle to NC State 38 to 29 and I think Louisville has some good and very aggressive rebounders. MP3 did okay against NC State but might have foul troubles against Louisville and their aggressiveness so I hope Chase can give him a rest while providing meaningful minutes.

I also think that Luke's PT should reflect the offensive threat he can be, perhaps at Matt's expense. Matt has been slumping offensively and his rebounding is very limited while Lukes defense is pretty good. It will be interesting to see how the PT is allotted in the back court.
    I personally might agree with you but I don't see K ever reducing Matts minutes much. Except for the odd rest for some of the other players I think it's Luke and DT swapping minutes. I know DT screwed up a bit at the start of the second half ( after a great first) but I think the real reason he didn't get much playing time after that was because Luke was red hot...

By the way. K said DT starts on Monday...
    Last edited by Furniture; 02-07-2016 at 04:22 PM.

Committees don't care. No one who beat ky or duke early is getting credit for a top win.
    That's fine, but we *still* haven't beaten a ranked team. Thanks for the correction, though.

That's fine, but we *still* haven't beaten a ranked team. Thanks for the correction, though.
    We beat Indiana and will get credit for a top 20 win for doing so. We beat them. They are ranked. We beat a ranked team.

The only conceivable reasons you might discount that are to win a semantic argument that has no value (congrats) or to disparage our team by withholding credit for a good win.

Based on their dominant performance yesterday, I think the idea that the Louisville players are not motivated is off base.
    What I wrote was posed as a question, not a statement.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    What I wrote was posed as a question, not a statement.
    That is true. Did someone say otherwise? I

We beat Indiana and will get credit for a top 20 win for doing so. We beat them. They are ranked. We beat a ranked team.

The only conceivable reasons you might discount that are to win a semantic argument that has no value (congrats) or to disparage our team by withholding credit for a good win.
    To be fair, if your goal is assessing the quality of our team (which was I think Mt Devil's point), it is disingenuous to say that was a win over a ranked team. Indiana was TERRIBLE for the first few weeks of the season. They have since found their stride in 2016, but that win really doesn't say much about the quality of this Duke team.

If you are talking strictly from a committee perspective, then yes - for the time being it is a win against a ranked team. But I don't think that was the point being made. This team still has yet to win a game that would convince me they are a legit contender. Granted, they have only had one such game (if that, in UK) so far. But I think it is quite fair to say that this is a very unproven team.