Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    You should rephrase that to, "I don't think this loss ended up meaning anything material to our season." The game meant a ton, because we lot Tre for an "indefinite" period of time. That could mean a week, but it could mean until March or even the season. That's big. Zion is the MVP stat guy, RJ is the best scorer, Cam is the best shooter... but Tre is the most important player to this Duke team. And that's really, really big. We don't have another capable PG (we have amazing wings who can help with PG duties, but they aren't Tre) who can come in and make anywhere near the same impact on defense.

To me, the loss sucked but it's certainly just a blip. The real issue is moving forward without Tre. I have no idea how the coaching staff will overcome this, but I am expecting more losses without Tre (and, in aggregate, these losses are meaningful).
    Well, yeah, agreed. I thought the essence of your post was pretty clear from my post. So long as we get Tre back with no lingering effects, I'm not really fussed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    What you're clearly missing in all of this is the fact that I have a number of friends and relatives who are Syracuse alum who are having a field day this morning. "We beat Duke, the #1 team in the country, AT Duke. And that was AFTER we got our butt's wiped by freakin' Georgia Tech. Duke's not so great!" They don't give a flying F that we had some injuries. "Every team faces injuries." So let's make this about me for a minute, shall we? What the heck am I supposed to do? This is very frustrating. Oh, and by the way, I'm going with said relatives to the Carrier Dome for the rematch so we better be injury free by then. It's about me, people, let's think about me for a change!
    Oh, you're totally screwed. You have no choice really but to find new friends and disown your relatives.

In all seriousness, the talking heads and idiots of this world will continue to talk and remain idiots, respectively. So the way I cope is simply by rising above it and thinking as objectively as I can. I don't believe the game (fine, FDD, loss) yesterday really means anything. Syracuse is almost definitely not better than us when we're fully healthy. We'd probably win 8 out of 10, maybe even 9. I mean flip the script, and imagine if they lost Howard and Brissett last night. Like what the heck would they do? So any Cuse fan just blindly claiming Duke is not so good and ignoring context is either naive, dumb, lying, or a variety of other generally negative attributes.

- Chillin

What the heck am I supposed to do? This is very frustrating. Oh, and by the way, I'm going with said relatives to the Carrier Dome for the rematch...
    Opportunities abound!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Yes, a very tough gig with horrible pay!

Did you go by Troublemaker when you served as a moderator?
    Yep. Why would you think otherwise? I mean, a Stray Gator sounds more dangerous than a Troublemaker to me. Likewise, no Man who wears a Mullet should ever be allowed to moderate.

... It's about me, people, let's think about me for a change!

You know the only answer is that you stand tall, faint grin, and bear it. This, too, shall pass. You can take it. They are sad simpletons who are enjoying your suffering. Offer it up for the healing of Tre's shoulder.

And, as always, the Duke curse awaits them. Oops, they cheer for syr, barf, they're already cursed.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    You know the only answer is that you stand tall, faint grin, and bear it. This, too, shall pass.
    I think Rich has many options. For example, he said, "I'm going with said relatives to the Carrier Dome for the rematch..." Maybe, Rich should kindly offer to buy all of them refreshments, at a convenience store en route, and then drive away while they're inside the convenience store? Of course, Rich, being a nice guy, could always go back and pick them up 30 minutes later.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Yep. Why would you think otherwise? I mean, a Stray Gator sounds more dangerous than a Troublemaker to me. Likewise, no Man who wears a Mullet should ever be allowed to moderate.
    I appropriately concede.

I was also particularly disappointed with moonpie's reports from the future last PM during chat.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

A Shakespearean Tragedy?

You guys and gals can help me (or not) with this extended metaphor, but last night's game seemed almost like something out of Shakespeare. Perhaps it was the meteor flying through the Cameron sky and into the Orange basket at the end of the first half -- an omen worthy of the Bard.

In the first scene, where the ancient king speaks to his troops and reveals that their newest hero, Sir Cameron, has fallen ill and will not be available.

In the second scene, after the battle is joined, the commander of the cavalry, the Earl of Jones, is carried off the battlefield with a mortal injury. His horses and men swirl in confusion, as the Orange forces counterattack.

Later, the king's troops rally under the leadership of Lord Zion and Viscount Barrett, not to mention the brave exploits of the Marquess of Bolden (had to work that in), although failing to hold the field at the end of the day. Yada, yada, yada...
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

What I keep remembering how disappointed I was not to be able to roar for Cam. I think everybody was ready to show thanks for that fsu dagger.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    You guys and gals can help me (or not) with this extended metaphor, but last night's game seemed almost like something out of Shakespeare. Perhaps it was the meteor flying through the Cameron sky and into the Orange basket at the end of the first half -- an omen worthy of the Bard.

In the first scene, where the ancient king speaks to his troops and reveals that their newest hero, Sir Cameron, has fallen ill and will not be available.

In the second scene, after the battle is joined, the commander of the cavalry, the Earl of Jones, is carried off the battlefield with a mortal injury. His horses and men swirl in confusion, as the Orange forces counterattack.

Later, the king's troops rally under the leadership of Lord Zion and Viscount Barrett, not to mention the brave exploits of the Marquess of Bolden (had to work that in), although failing to hold the field at the end of the day. Yada, yada, yada...
    ...as it was a very difficult day for help from the archer...the Australian wizard...as he could not get his bow calibrated....albeit a spurt of growth for Prince Alex...
    Last edited by HereBeforeCoachK; 01-15-2019 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    What I keep remembering how disappointed I was not to be able to roar for Cam. I think everybody was ready to show thanks for that fsu dagger.
    he'll get his on saturday. though was sad to not hear it last night
    April 1

You guys and gals can help me (or not) with this extended metaphor, but last night's game seemed almost like something out of Shakespeare.

Yada, yada, yada...
    Is that Shakespeare? IMO, it sounds more like Lenny Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Is that Shakespeare? IMO, it sounds more like Lenny Bruce.
    Perhaps you can find your own extended metaphor??
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Sounds like sage advice!

...unless you suffer from a dangling participle....

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    ...unless you suffer from a dangling participle...
    That’s infinitive-splitting hilarious right there....
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

"When beggars die there are no comets seen."

Shakespeare - Julius Caesar

Following the loss of the indispensable Prince Tre and the indisposition of Sir Cam, hero of the Battle of Tallahass, how could that streaking ball of orange fire be anything but a harbinger of doom? I thought it an ill omen when it happened and still think it so.

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatians98 View Post
    "When beggars die there are no comets seen."

Shakespeare - Julius Caesar

Following the loss of the indispensable Prince Tre and the indisposition of Sir Cam, hero of the Battle of Tallahass, how could that streaking ball of orange fire be anything but a harbinger of doom? I thought it an ill omen when it happened and still think it so.
    Several characters in last evening's battle were overlooked:

Michael William, the Magnificent

James Arthur, the Wailer

michael, of eades, and the other court jesters/buffoons.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

A silver lining from last night

A Syracuse fan made a lunch time promise to Boeheim/twitter post that he would donate $150k to the Boys and Girls clubs of Syracuse. He pledged $50k to 3 different clubs in the Syracuse area, their is a 4th club that he didn’t include so he gave them $25k after the fact. Not a bad silver lining, I am a bit selfish but I would have fathered a Blue Devil win.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ke-blue-devils

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Several characters in last evening's battle were overlooked:

Michael William, the Magnificent

James Arthur, the Wailer

michael, of eades, and the other court jesters/buffoons.
    Unfortunately, I've given out too many reputation comments; will have to 'spork' you directly.
    Fine comments, DDeac!

Why are there limits and silly restrictions on comments, etc? WTF does it matter?