Page 143 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153193243643 ... LastLast
Results 2,841 to 2,860 of 22200
    This is the first national/international disaster I can recall in our history where the federal government basically told every state to just make their own rules. What am I overlooking?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Can't help. I'll be very pleasantly surprised if there's a football season - at least as we know it.
    Yeah, per the radios, an AD hinted that they are being told a football season is 50/50.

And, honestly, given when practices typically start up, even if we have a season it might have to be abbreviated.

True, but

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    This is the first national/international disaster I can recall in our history where the federal government basically told every state to just make their own rules. What am I overlooking?
    You don't recall the Great Influenza of 1918? Guess you're not that old after all.

In all seriousness, I agree with you, but have we ever had an event like this, from the perspective that the rules really do need to be set at the state or local level, because of our federal system? I think the feds should be doing more to encourage a nationwide policy, but at some level it is necessarily up to state and local gummints.

Seems to me that the feds are following China's model and hoping for similar results. Not sure that's wise, nor that I'd trust China's reporting of its strategies and results.

Quote Originally Posted by TampaDuke View Post
    Seems to me that the feds are following China's model and hoping for similar results. Not sure that's wise, nor that I'd trust China's reporting of its strategies and results.
    Yeah. Looking more and more like they have been using the cheaters’ playbook... lie, obfuscate, deny. Not encouraging. But how does a country that big manage to lie with such ease and the real data not get out thru some concerned scientist somewhere?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...elligence-says
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Can't help. I'll be very pleasantly surprised if there's a football season - at least as we know it.
    Well, social distancing hasn't been a big problem at the football games.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    ... But how does a country that big manage to lie with such ease and the real data not get out thru some concerned scientist somewhere?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...elligence-says
    Maybe by locking up anybody who disagrees or shutting them down?
    Seriously, I'm asking the question. Looking at the initial doctors who sounded the alarm, they didn't have an easy time of it and consider the one who passed away.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

I keep thinking that the Florida governor's non response is either part of a new Tim Dorsey book, or perhaps an extended April Fool's gag, but there are indications that neither is true.

That’s pretty much spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    In all seriou sness, I agree with you, but have we ever had an event like this, from the perspective that the rules really do need to be set at the state or local level, because of our federal system? I think the feds should be doing more to encourage a nationwide policy, but at some level it is necessarily up to state and local gummints.
    In times of a national emergency the government can supersede state powers. The threat of invoking the John Warner National Defense Authorization Act would be enough to get governors behind any federal “suggestion.” That act gives the president the right in declare a nation wide marshal law and take over the national guard. Basically is the President wanted a nationwide stay at home order he could legally do it and have the means to enforce it. It won’t be popular though...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I keep thinking that the Florida governor's non response is either part of a new Tim Dorsey book, or perhaps an extended April Fool's gag, but there are indications that neither is true.
    A Georgia state senator says: "Hold my beer . . .":

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...gi/5102662002/

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    He's nuts or a coward or both. Even the SC governor has taken strong action and he drinks the same Kool Aid.

The fact that he hasn't done anything but complain about people New York and New Orleans flocking to the state and potentially bring the virus. He has not issued any forcible statewide restrictions. No closing of non essential business. No Stay at Home orders even thou several cities are emerging hot spots. Until yesterday his press conferences were in a cramped small room. He barred a reporter for requesting social distancing at those press conferences. And his justification for all of this is: "Because the White House hasn't told him to." I'll stop before the ban/warning message from the mods.
    The Florida governor has shut down schools and bars, has called for restaurants to operate at a maximum of 50 percent capacity with at least 6 feet between tables, has declared a state of emergency, has set up border checkpoints, has issued a stay-at-home order for South Florida. Sounds like more than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by swood1000 View Post
    The Florida governor has shut down schools and bars, has called for restaurants to operate at a maximum of 50 percent capacity with at least 6 feet between tables, has declared a state of emergency, has set up border checkpoints, has issued a stay-at-home order for South Florida. Sounds like more than nothing.
    rather ironically, his checkpoints are intended to keep NY's and LA's infected from entering Florida; he might want to consider keeping Florida's infected in Florida. Restaurants at 50% of capacity? Seriously?

DeSantis has issued a statewide shutdown order:

https://www.wctv.tv/content/news/Flo...569286471.html

better late than never...

The bars were closed after two weeks of spring breakers and after the national coverage. Still did not impose a limit on the number of people allowed to group together.

Restaurants at 50% is a joke. You still have people touching common surfaces (doors, railings, random stuff) AND THEN EATING.

The border checks were for New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Louisiana tagged cars only and they where just told self quarantine for 14 days. They were not checking up on these people. Furthermore if you flew in from those place nothing.

The stay at home order is for four counties, until April 15 and enacted Monday.

At best these are half measures and I’m not even comparing it to New York or California. I’m comparing to my own state: South Carolina.

China received a black eye China over their handling of SARS, when they were forced to admit to 10 times as many deaths in Beijing as had been reported, and to acknowledge their mishandling of the disease. One would think that they wouldn’t knowingly make the same mistake twice or assume that the international inquiry that is sure to come would not turn up evidence of major fraud.

However, it is reported that Chinese laboratories in late December last year were ordered to stop tests, destroy samples and suppress the news. On the one hand maybe that can be attributed to regional officials who hadn’t been burned by the SARS fiasco. On the other hand, maybe not. They did refuse assistance from the CDC and the WHO for more than a month early on. One wonders why.

Avoiding responsibility/plausible deniability? Though beyond the issue of rules (which is a very, very big issue), there has been a fair amount of federal involvement with the Naval ship coming to NY, deployment of military reservists, etc.

China received a black eye China over their handling of SARS, when they were forced to admit to 10 times as many deaths in Beijing as had been reported, and to acknowledge their mishandling of the disease. One would think that they wouldn’t knowingly make the same mistake twice or assume that the international inquiry that is sure to come would not turn up evidence of major fraud.

However, it is reported that Chinese laboratories in late December last year were ordered to stop tests, destroy samples and suppress the news. On the one hand maybe that can be attributed to regional officials who hadn’t been burned by the SARS fiasco. On the other hand, maybe not. They did refuse assistance from the CDC and the WHO for more than a month early on. One wonders why.
    This whole thing is starting to sound like the backdrop for some awful Tom Clancy novel about WWIII.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    The bars were closed after two weeks of spring breakers and after the national coverage. Still did not impose a limit on the number of people allowed to group together.

Restaurants at 50% is a joke. You still have people touching common surfaces (doors, railings, random stuff) AND THEN EATING.

The border checks were for New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Louisiana tagged cars only and they where just told self quarantine for 14 days. They were not checking up on these people. Furthermore if you flew in from those place nothing.

The stay at home order is for four counties, until April 15 and enacted Monday.

At best these are half measures and I’m not even comparing it to New York or California. I’m comparing to my own state: South Carolina.
    For what it's worth, the bars and restaurants were shutdown by the counties pretty much immediately in all the major populated areas in Florida. I think they all quickly issued stay at home orders, as well. I doubt the statewide stay at home order he just issued will make much difference in those areas. They were already pretty much under those restrictions via local mandates.

Quote Originally Posted by TampaDuke View Post
    For what it's worth, the bars and restaurants were shutdown by the counties pretty much immediately in all the major populated areas in Florida. I think they all quickly issued stay at home orders, as well. I doubt the statewide stay at home order he just issued will make much difference in those areas. They were already pretty much under those restrictions via local mandates.
    Don't try to destroy a good virtue signalling, Tampa.