Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BeachBlueDevil View Post
    What's saying he can't win with the 76ers? We saw a Raptors team with less talent (but the right pieces) win a title. The 6ers having Embiid and Simmons are a great start to a title. If Simmons can develop a jumper, he'd be pretty close to one of the most dominant players in the game. Embiid, while I'm not a fan of him, you can't deny his talent and if they can keep Butler and Harris, they have to be a favorite to win the east. Even if they keep just one, they still have to be a favorite.
    I agree. Heck, they went to game 7 with the Raptors and Kawhi had a ridiculously lucky (but good) shot to win it at the buzzer (albeit it would have gone to OT had it not gone in). The 76ers are a good spot to contend for a title. I would imagine that they want to keep JJ but don't know their cap space/financial situation to sign him. I recall JJ saying on a podcast that Colangelo told JJ they were overpaying for him for the one year ($20M) because they couldn't commit to a multi-year thing, so not sure if/how that's changed.

His salary this year was roughly $12 million...for what he does, that's a relative bargain these days.

What's saying he can't win with the 76ers? We saw a Raptors team with less talent (but the right pieces) win a title. The 6ers having Embiid and Simmons are a great start to a title. If Simmons can develop a jumper, he'd be pretty close to one of the most dominant players in the game. Embiid, while I'm not a fan of him, you can't deny his talent and if they can keep Butler and Harris, they have to be a favorite to win the east. Even if they keep just one, they still have to be a favorite.
    Who's saying he can't win with the 76ers?

I don't know. Not me. I'm saying it's silly to say he will definitely be on the Knicks, Nets, or 76ers next year.

While I think JJ would be perfect in LA (Pelicans to some extent, they could use a veteran for all the young guys), he's not leaving the east coast. He either ends up with Brooklyn, the Knicks or the 76ers for less money than last year. As budwom pointed out, he has strong ties to Brooklyn and I remember listening to his podcast and hearing that he also purchased a home in Brooklyn.
    JJ said he almost signed with the Pacers last offseason. The 76ers changed their offer at the last minute, so he came back. I don't think we can say JJ definitely won't leave the east coast.

I would love if he went to NOLA. It would certainly seal the deal on the Pelicans becoming my favorite NBA team, which is probably going to be the case anyway come Friday. I mean, JJ actually got me to cheer for a Philadelphia sports team that wasn't playing against the Patriots. That is no small feat.

Just wanted to point out that this happened:
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...k-2-years-265m

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    So, uh, any word on lottery numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    So, uh, any word on lottery numbers?
    And some stock picks...
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    Go Pelicans!!

I believe a lot people around these parts, including myself, are now Pelicans fans.

Zion, JJ, Brandon Ingram, Jahlil Okafor, and Frank Jackson . . . that's a lot of Dukies.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I believe a lot people around these parts, including myself, are now Pelicans fans.

Zion, JJ, Brandon Ingram, Jahlil Okafor, and Frank Jackson . . . that's a lot of Dukies.
    Total of only eight seasons played at Duke by the five players.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    Their GM played at Duke longer than all but JJ.

(And FTR JJ played 139 games, TL played 136).

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    And spread it over five seasons, skipping 1996 due to injury.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    And 4 of those years are JJ so he gets half the beignets as far as I'm concerned.

I can't imagine why they wouldn't be a fun team to both play for and watch this year...some very solid talent, lots of youth, little pressure.

They won all of 33 games last year and finished tied for 13th in the West...can't get too much worse...

Jackson really should've played two seasons at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    And spread it over five seasons, skipping 1996 due to injury.
    Remind me, was Trajan actually on a basketball scholarship? I recall he was drafted for baseball (and signed?)

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Remind me, was Trajan actually on a basketball scholarship? I recall he was drafted for baseball (and signed?)
    Trajan was on a basketball scholarship, but got to keep the $ he received for playing baseball.

The NCAA rules are, essentially, set up as a hierarchy of recognizing the prominence of the revenue v. non-revenue sports and also of the sports in which player x is/was a recruited athlete, to prevent schools from doing an end run around scholarship limits by putting great recruited wide receivers on track scholarships, great PGs on soccer scholarships, etc.

But, the NCAA has recognized it as not a violation of the amateurism rules for players who are good enough in sport x to take professional cash for it while still being able to compete in NCAA play in sport y (e.g., Trajan's situation or Kyler Murray signing with/playing for the Oakland As but then still being eligible to play QB for Oklahoma last year), whereas Katie Ledecky was not allowed to accept payment from the US Swimming association or paid endorsements for swimming while she was competing as a swimmer for Stanford.

Gotta be honest, I don't quite understand this move.

Yes, New Orleans lacked shooting, and JJ is one of the very best. But he's 35 now, way out of step with New Orleans' competitive window.

Is New Orleans currently a playoff team? Do they want to be? JJ is the kind of missing-piece veteran that can put a contender over the hump, but I don't know if it really moves the needle to have him help New Orleans win 35 games instead of 30. Why not just give all that playing time to Frank Jackson, who is now stuck behind Lonzo Ball and Jrue Holiday? Why the push for the playoffs in Year 1 of Zion...it will only make it harder to add co-stars via the draft.

As for JJ, I'm really surprised a contender didn't offer comparable money. This is likely his last two seasons of consistent, 20-ish minutes per game for a contender, and he can make a difference. Really surprised there wasn't a better offer--this feels like a bit of a wasted opportunity.

So I'm excited for five Blue Devils on the Pelicans...but it doesn't really make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Gotta be honest, I don't quite understand this move.

Yes, New Orleans lacked shooting, and JJ is one of the very best. But he's 35 now, way out of step with New Orleans' competitive window.

Is New Orleans currently a playoff team? Do they want to be? JJ is the kind of missing-piece veteran that can put a contender over the hump, but I don't know if it really moves the needle to have him help New Orleans win 35 games instead of 30. Why not just give all that playing time to Frank Jackson, who is now stuck behind Lonzo Ball and Jrue Holiday? Why the push for the playoffs in Year 1 of Zion...it will only make it harder to add co-stars via the draft.

As for JJ, I'm really surprised a contender didn't offer comparable money. This is likely his last two seasons of consistent, 20-ish minutes per game for a contender, and he can make a difference. Really surprised there wasn't a better offer--this feels like a bit of a wasted opportunity.

So I'm excited for five Blue Devils on the Pelicans...but it doesn't really make sense to me.

JJ? Locker room guy. One of the best. With Zion, BI, and Lonzo onbaord, a stabilizing veteran is a huge plus. No one has a better basketball work ethic and IQ than JJ. The shooting is a bonus as well. See this Pelicans check off free agency needs with JJ Redick for a more detailed discussion, but for anyone who has followed JJ, seems like a no-brainer. He's been in the playoffs in all 13 seasons he's been in the league--nice to have that experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    Trajan was on a basketball scholarship, but got to keep the $ he received for playing baseball.

The NCAA rules are, essentially, set up as a hierarchy of recognizing the prominence of the revenue v. non-revenue sports and also of the sports in which player x is/was a recruited athlete, to prevent schools from doing an end run around scholarship limits by putting great recruited wide receivers on track scholarships, great PGs on soccer scholarships, etc.

But, the NCAA has recognized it as not a violation of the amateurism rules for players who are good enough in sport x to take professional cash for it while still being able to compete in NCAA play in sport y (e.g., Trajan's situation or Kyler Murray signing with/playing for the Oakland As but then still being eligible to play QB for Oklahoma last year), whereas Katie Ledecky was not allowed to accept payment from the US Swimming association or paid endorsements for swimming while she was competing as a swimmer for Stanford.
    Not to take this too far off track but I am reminded of the Jeremy Bloom situation. He was a really good wide receiver and punt returner at the University of Colorado. He was also a professional skier with considerable success. He was allowed to keep his earnings from winning ski competitions but could not accept ski endorsement money and, as I understand it, the skiers need that endorsement money to make it on the professional tour. He had to leave C.U. after two seasons to pursue the ski endorsements. He had a brief career with the Eagles - not an overwhelming NFL player but a great college player.

Further tangent - the movie "Mollie's Game" was about his sister.
    Last edited by MartyClark; 07-01-2019 at 01:50 PM. Reason: spelling