Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Florida bound?

It appears both the Jax Jags and the Miami Dolphins are about to give up on Bortles and Tannehill after today's games....maybe Jones heading south.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    It appears both the Jax Jags and the Miami Dolphins are about to give up on Bortles and Tannehill after today's games...maybe Jones heading south.
    Or the Bucs?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Or the Bucs?
    You know, I almost mentioned the Bucs...I mean they crossed my mind - but I think they're staying with Jamies for a while...and Jameis had a better game today than the other two by far.

You know, I almost mentioned the Bucs...I mean they crossed my mind - but I think they're staying with Jamies for a while...and Jameis had a better game today than the other two by far.
    I am, unfortunately, a big-time Bucs fan. Keeping Jameis around for the option year on his contract and drafting a promising QB like Jones are definitely not mutually exclusive. I don't see any of the QBs in this draft as necessarily the blue chip prospects one expects to just come in and successfully start from day 1, and I would absolutely support having Jameis or another veteran around for next year and drafting a QB that can sit and learn on the sideline for a year. The Bucs will likely be picking 5th, so I could see them going developmental QB in the 2nd. I just don't see Jameis being the QB of the future anymore. He's lost a good portion of the fan base for his off-field antics and on-field performance. I guess it will depend on the next coach and how he plays next year, but I think he is who he has always been...erratic, at times brilliant but usually just maddeningly frustrating.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    It appears both the Jax Jags and the Miami Dolphins are about to give up on Bortles and Tannehill after today's games...maybe Jones heading south.
    Perhaps he goes to his hometown team, which appears to need a healthy QB.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Perhaps he goes to his hometown team, which appears to need a healthy QB.
    If they don’t get an offensive line in front of him, he’d get hurt too.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    If they don’t get an offensive line in front of him, he’d get hurt too.
    I think a tank would get sacked with the Panthers OL blocking for it.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The top 18 draft slots are now set.

1. Cardinals
    2. 49ers
    3. Jets
    4. Raiders
    5. Buccaneers
    6. Giants
    7. Jaguars
    8. Lions
    9. Bills
    10. Broncos
    11. Bengals
    12. Packers
    13. Dolphins
    14. Falcons
    15. Redskins
    16. Panthers
    17. Browns
    18. Vikings
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/st...racker-results
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The top 18 draft slots are now set.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/st...racker-results
    FWIW, CBS had him at 41 whenever they last made their rankings. With the large number of teams looking and the few in the draft, I think we'll see him far higher than that.
    1200. DDMF.

I think he's NFL bound without a doubt. The time is right for him, and the kid has the skills. Size, a strong arm, and usually makes excellent decisions. Oh, and he can run the ball too. I wish him well, and thank him for playing here.
    All that being said, I am sick of seeing university sports being reduced into little more than proving grounds for pro sports..

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    All that being said, I am sick of seeing university sports being reduced into little more than proving grounds for pro sports..
    What other proving ground is there, especially for football? At least the G league is one small step in the right general direction for basketball. But for football, there is nothing … and there is a symbiotic relationship between the P5 conferences and the NFL that is next to impossible to break.

At least Jones didn't quite have the pro cred before the bowl game to make it desirable for him to sit the game out, like Grier did. I expect that kind of thing to happen a lot more frequently in the coming years.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    I think he's NFL bound without a doubt. The time is right for him, and the kid has the skills. Size, a strong arm, and usually makes excellent decisions. Oh, and he can run the ball too. I wish him well, and thank him for playing here.
    Most of college sports is not. The vast majority of football players will never play after college. Only a lucky few will make the jump. Even then- it is a short run for many of them. A long pro basketball career is not a guarantee regardless of how many high school honors a player received. Most players play for the love of the game with a glimmer of hope that they can make it to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Just wanted to point out that he has been at Duke for 4 years and is getting his degree. Next year would be a graduated year and while that is a fine thing, I am betting he is ready to move on to what is next.

Oh, and his draft stock will likely never be higher and he is coming into one of the worst years for QB draft prospects in a very long time. There's a decent chance (25% or so?) he could even be a first round draft pick.

-Jason "thanks for all you have done, DJ. Being a high draft pick and succeeding in the NFL will help us in recruiting too!" Evans
    Perfectly stated.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Most of college sports is not. The vast majority of football players will never play after college. Only a lucky few will make the jump. Even then- it is a short run for many of them. A long pro basketball career is not a guarantee regardless of how many high school honors a player received. Most players play for the love of the game with a glimmer of hope that they can make it to the next level.
    I think he was referring to the way the national sports media (ie, ESPN) are obsessed with "the next level" and only the future pros during college games...that's where the rub is. The points you make are of course true, and yet all ESPN can talk about is pro draft status.

He's gone.

Duke has announced he is gone.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

So, no longer a vigil. Best of luck to him. Hoping he goes to a team that I like. Wonder if he will go to a team where he will sit behind a guy for a year or two (like Mahomes or Rodgers) or if he will be drafted to be the guy like a bunch of the QBs this year were.

STATEMENT FROM JOE GILES-HARRIS
    The last four years of my life have been some of the best. It has been a blessing and privilege to wear Duke blue and represent this great university.
    After much thought, I have decided to forgo my last year of eligibility and enter the NFL Draft to pursue my lifelong dream of playing professional football.
    Thank you to Duke University, Dr. White, Coach Cutcliffe, the entire Duke football staff and Blue Devil fans for providing me with an unforgettable experience.
    I’d also like to thank my family for their continuous love and support throughout this journey. If it were not for them, I would not be the man I am. Finally, I give all glory to God because without Him, none of this would be possible!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide