Page 10 of 149 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast
    Williams may wellbe a multi-year player so getting another 7 footer in either Holmgren or Bedaiko would give us depth at center in 2021. I expect all of those guys to gain weight and strength prior to getting to the Duke campus and moreso once they are in the program. In Holmgren's case, should he choose Duke, he would need to add 30 to 40 pounds to handle DIV 1 ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Williams may wellbe a multi-year player so getting another 7 footer in either Holmgren or Bedaiko would give us depth at center in 2021. I expect all of those guys to gain weight and strength prior to getting to the Duke campus and moreso once they are in the program. In Holmgren's case, should he choose Duke, he would need to add 30 to 40 pounds to handle DIV 1 ball.
    Or he could be our tallest point guard everrrrrrr.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    That photo of Kris Lang reclining on the UNC bench is an unforgettable classic.
    Ask and ye shall...

Kris_Lang_Poses.jpg
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by plimnko View Post
    reminds me of tom buleson
    Or Chuck Nevitt.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ah KLang! Had a good rookie year, totally declined thereafter.
    And KLang (inadvertently) was the originator of the expression "in the truck" (small DBR factoid that could be verified by Julio) for a guy who commits someplace...KLang climbed into his uncle's pickup, and the rest is history.
    Lang's best season was his senior year, that 2002 UNC disaster, when he averaged 14 and 6. The bench poster is worthy of derision until the sun goes nova. But he was a decent college player, maybe a little better than decent.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Lang's best season was his senior year, that 2002 UNC disaster, when he averaged 14 and 6. The bench poster is worthy of derision until the sun goes nova. But he was a decent college player, maybe a little better than decent.
    That stupid little baseline jump hook he had either went in or was a spectacular airball. My memory told me it was more the latter in 02 but I guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    This summer, a video went viral of Holgren playing at Steph Curry's camp and he was being guarded by Curry. He went behind his back twice (reminiscent of Kenny Anderson vs Bobby Hurley for those old enough to remember), went past Curry and then dunked. It was a popular video that garnered much attention given the sight of the unknown gangly 7 foot teenager going at Curry. I can't find a link now, but I remember that it was said that he wanted to hear from Duke and that soon after his stock began to rise and Duke did reach out to establish contact.

I'm on mobile, but here is a link to the play in question.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bC0hpjBo2z8

Is breaking down Steph Curry really that big of a deal?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Holmgren is a highly intriguing basketball prospect. He is incredibly skilled, can handle, shoot, block shots, and score at all 3 levels. He is the definition of "unicorn" in the modern basketball sense. Any college team that gets his services for a year are going to be big-time competitors. And he seems like a high character kid. I hope Duke gets more involved.

He is the yin to Zion's yang. Melt them together and you'd get two very tall normally built people!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

It's unclear if it means anything at the moment, but there have been a couple of Crystal Ball selections for Patrick Baldwin, Jr. in favor of Duke in the past couple of days. One of the picks came from a Chicago Bears insider that has never made a CB pick for college basketball. College basketball recruiting expert Jerry Meyer quickly followed up with another CB pick for Baldwin to Duke.

Baldwin doesn't have an official visit scheduled to my knowledge. Perhaps the NFL guy received some inside information through his Midwest connections. Baldwin's father, Patrick Sr., is the head coach at UW-Milwaukee. If i had to guess, this recruitment is going to be very low drama. The father wouldn't allow his colleagues to be played by the game. I expect that Baldwin, Jr. might commit out of the blue this spring or over the summer if he feels comfortable with choice. Here's hoping he follows his AAU teammates Jalen Johnson and Jaemyn Brakefield. Baldwin, along with AJ Griffin and a handful of others, is considered in the running for the best recruit in the class of 2021. He would be a huge get for Duke.

Rivals Releases Updated Top 150 for Class of 2021

Recruiting site Rivals has updated their Top 150 for the Class of 2021, which comes a day after the update to the Class of 2020. It must be the update season. Rivals made no changes to its top 5 for the class, sticking with familiar faces. Duke commit AJ Griffin saw his position change, rising up 1 spot to #7 on the list.

Here's a look at a curated list of top players with a focus on Duke targets (change in parentheses, asterisk for players with an offer)

1. Jonathan Kuminga, 6'8" SF, NJ (no change)*
    2. Paolo Banchero 6'9" PF (nc)*
    3. Patrick Baldwin, Jr. 6'9" SF (nc)*
    4. Chet Holmgren, 7'0" C (nc)
    7. AJ Griffin, 6'6'" SF (+1)*
    10. Kennedy Chandler, 6'0" PG (+1)*
    15. Trevor Keels, 6'5" SG (+17)*
    16. Max Christie, 6'5" SG (nc)*
    24. Charles Bediako, 6'10" C (+29)*

The big rises for Keels and Bediako are interesting. I haven't seen them that high on other ratings. Both are in the 35-39 247Sports Composite, for example. Keels is a current teammate of Class of 2020 Commit Jeremy Roach. He is considered an elite shot maker, as is Max Christie.

I am not sure how serious the Duke staff is about Chet Holmgren, but it is clear that there has been communication in the past. He's the only one I've listed here that hasn't received an offer yet.

For those that put stock in the Crystal Ball, there have been a couple of picks for Kennedy Chandler from a pair of Duke insiders, Adam Rowe and John Watson. Chandler is considered one of the top PGs in the class of 2021. He is 6'1" and is a native of Memphis, TN. All the big-time programs are after Chandler. There has been some scuttlebutt on twitter that he is also close with top big man Paolo Banchero with the two talking about wanting to play together in college. Might Duke's next super class come from 2021?

Committed: AJ Griffin
    Offers: Patrick Baldwin, Jr., Paolo Banchero, Charles Bediako, Kennedy Chandler, Max Christie, Trevor Keels, and Jonathan Kuminga

Of that group, Duke appears to be in great shape with Baldwin, Banchero, Chandler, and Christie. I'm not as sure about Trevor Keels or Banchero. Duke has connections with Keels in that Jeremy Roach is his high school teammate. And with Chandler's interest and Banchero listing Duke among his top choices, things might be looking good there, too. I remain skeptical of the fit with Duke and Kuminga, but he is a talented young man. The bottom line is that Duke is looking to put together a monster class for 2021.

For those that put stock in the Crystal Ball, there have been a couple of picks for Kennedy Chandler from a pair of Duke insiders, Adam Rowe and John Watson. Chandler is considered one of the top PGs in the class of 2021. He is 6'1" and is a native of Memphis, TN. All the big-time programs are after Chandler. There has been some scuttlebutt on twitter that he is also close with top big man Paolo Banchero with the two talking about wanting to play together in college. Might Duke's next super class come from 2021?

Committed: AJ Griffin
    Offers: Patrick Baldwin, Jr., Paolo Banchero, Charles Bediako, Kennedy Chandler, Max Christie, Trevor Keels, and Jonathan Kuminga

Of that group, Duke appears to be in great shape with Baldwin, Banchero, Chandler, and Christie. I'm not as sure about Trevor Keels or Banchero. Duke has connections with Keels in that Jeremy Roach is his high school teammate. And with Chandler's interest and Banchero listing Duke among his top choices, things might be looking good there, too. I remain skeptical of the fit with Duke and Kuminga, but he is a talented young man. The bottom line is that Duke is looking to put together a monster class for 2021.
    Chandler looks like a great backup for Sr. Tre Jones as we go for our 1st 3-peat.

But won’t Sophomore Jeremy Roach be the backup PG or are we rolling with JR at the off guard?

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    But won’t Sophomore Jeremy Roach be the backup PG or are we rolling with JR at the off guard?
    My expectation is that Jeremy Roach wants to be a one-and-done. He is, after Cade Cunningham, one of the best PGs in his class. He's a McDonald's All-American and part of the Nike Hoops Summit, Duke's only representative this year. Now he might not be good enough to be a 1st round draft pick. That's another matter, one we'll know more about in about a year from now.

My expectation is that Jeremy Roach wants to be a one-and-done. He is, after Cade Cunningham, one of the best PGs in his class. He's a McDonald's All-American and part of the Nike Hoops Summit, Duke's only representative this year. Now he might not be good enough to be a 1st round draft pick. That's another matter, one we'll know more about in about a year from now.
    So 4 years from Tre is more likely than 2 from Roach? I don’t know anything about Roach but I don’t think we’ll even get the JWill 3rd year and graduate from Tre much less 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    So 4 years from Tre is more likely than 2 from Roach? I don’t know anything about Roach but I don’t think we’ll even get the JWill 3rd year and graduate from Tre much less 4 years.
    I'm pretty sure Tre is leaving after this season. He's in the 1st round in most mock drafts as the shooting has improved.

2019-20: Tre Jones
    2020-21: Jeremy Roach
    2021-22: ??? (Chandler, maybe? ...hopefully?)
    2022-23: Bronny James???

Recruiting site Rivals has updated their Top 150 for the Class of 2021, which comes a day after the update to the Class of 2020. It must be the update season. Rivals made no changes to its top 5 for the class, sticking with familiar faces. Duke commit AJ Griffin saw his position change, rising up 1 spot to #7 on the list.

Here's a look at a curated list of top players with a focus on Duke targets (change in parentheses, asterisk for players with an offer)

1. Jonathan Kuminga, 6'8" SF, NJ (no change)*
    2. Paolo Banchero 6'9" PF (nc)*
    3. Patrick Baldwin, Jr. 6'9" SF (nc)*
    4. Chet Holmgren, 7'0" C (nc)
    7. AJ Griffin, 6'6'" SF (+1)*
    10. Kennedy Chandler, 6'0" PG (+1)*
    15. Trevor Keels, 6'5" SG (+17)*
    16. Max Christie, 6'5" SG (nc)*
    24. Charles Bediako, 6'10" C (+29)*

The big rises for Keels and Bediako are interesting. I haven't seen them that high on other ratings. Both are in the 35-39 247Sports Composite, for example. Keels is a current teammate of Class of 2020 Commit Jeremy Roach. He is considered an elite shot maker, as is Max Christie.

I am not sure how serious the Duke staff is about Chet Holmgren, but it is clear that there has been communication in the past. He's the only one I've listed here that hasn't received an offer yet.

Seen Keels play a few times. He is a big time scorer and just a smooth operator.

Reminds me of a young Eric Gordon. He is the real deal! Getting him and/or Christie would set us up VERY nicely for 2021.

Any recruit who watched the UNC/Duke game has got to have been impresses by the display of the Duke brotherhood when Moore's shot went in.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Any recruit who watched the UNC/Duke game has got to have been impresses by the display of the Duke brotherhood when Moore's shot went in.
    Doesn’t every team display brotherhood when they hit a buzzer beater?

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Ask and ye shall...

Kris_Lang_Poses.jpg
    Oh man....still so so beautifully awful.