Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Jeopardy

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    It appears to be that I am the President of the James Fan Club. I think he gets some good lines off and he's opened up more (but they all have, really) in this championship battle.

It's coming down to buzzer speed, although Ken really stuns on history and the word mashups. Geebus, do I hate that kind of category. I am not clever in the least!
    I like James. I think he's shy and socially awkward, but a genuine guy. Ken just seems a little too clean cut and cheery. Brad seems to be the most relaxed of the three, but it's not helping him.

Game 7

Quote Originally Posted by InSpades View Post
    Next episode is Tuesday. I think the schedule was Tues-Thurs every week... can't see it lasting past 2 weeks though cause Brad seems lost up there.
    If it goes 7, I think the last episode is next Friday, but I'm simply basing that on the FIOS listings.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    In case nobody had ever bothered to check (because I sure hadn't), Jame's Holzhauer's Twitter is FIRE

"My wife is going to make me roleplay as @KenJennings tonight."
    Ken’s reply was even better.

“It’s all about timing on the button”

Congratulations to Ken! The GOAT of Jeopardy! Pleased he won. How he won was icing on the cake, especially after James’ crack directed at Brad earlier in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Congratulations to Ken! The GOAT of Jeopardy! Pleased he won. How he won was icing on the cake, especially after James’ crack directed at Brad earlier in the game.
    You guys are taking this way too seriously! This is WWE, and James was the heel (a great one at that!)...all staged!

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    So, I know my Shakespeare. I was surprised at how easy the final Final Jeopardy was until two of the three got it wrong. Then I remembered that I'm constantly being surprised by how much more of a Shakespeare geek I am than the average person, or even super smart Jeopardy champions.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    You guys are taking this way too seriously! This is WWE, and James was the heel (a great one at that!)...all staged!
    Would be a great explanation for how heelish James has been during this entire tournament.

Sad to see the tournament end so soon. Especially after Alex commented we would likely never see any of them on Jeopardy again.

I'm still confused why James didn't wager it all in the first Final Jeopardy. Holding back there forced him to go all in during the second game. He also held back in the first Final Jeopardy last Thursday and it cost him dearly.

Despite some brilliant plays, they're all human. It will be quite the adjustment to get back to the normal contestants!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Gotta give Ken credit, didn't think he'd still be that good, but he is. But James needs a tip of the hat, too, as his aggressive wagering really has changed the way the game is played. Ken adjusted well.

Ken was amazing. Adding James's aggressive style to his existing skillset created an unstoppable force. What a great event - wish it could have gone on for another week.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Ken was amazing. Adding James's aggressive style to his existing skillset created an unstoppable force. What a great event - wish it could have gone on for another week.
    There was a fair bit of random variance to getting the daily doubles. Ken found a couple of them last night and James did not and it sorta felt like that is a lot of why Ken won (though James missing that final Jep question was the ultimate decider).

I'm puzzled by how poorly Brad did. Even when he got in, it felt like his answers were not correct nearly as often as the other two. He's shown great quality in the past. I wonder what happened?

-Jason "as wonderful as this was, it would have been better if it had been a three way contest versus mano-a-mano" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    There was a fair bit of random variance to getting the daily doubles. Ken found a couple of them last night and James did not and it sorta felt like that is a lot of why Ken won (though James missing that final Jep question was the ultimate decider).

I'm puzzled by how poorly Brad did. Even when he got in, it felt like his answers were not correct nearly as often as the other two. He's shown great quality in the past. I wonder what happened?

-Jason "as wonderful as this was, it would have been better if it had been a three way contest versus mano-a-mano" Evans
    Maybe he was sick? {Sorry; cross-pollinating from the Clemson thread.}
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Well, to be fair James found that last daily double (Chad) that put him in position to win the day by doubling up late. It did come down to the final question, though. That was the ballgame. I feel like Ken deserved to win though. He seemed to be the sharpest of all 3 by a good bit. But for James' ability on the buzzer (every time he and Ken both knew an answer he won because of his buzzer quickness), I think Ken would have run away with this Tournament.

Agree 100%, but when Ken found the daily double he almost always went all in, and once he hit that (and Brad wasted the other one) the game was almost over. Had Ken played the DD's in a more "traditional"/conservative way (ie had he not been playing against James), I think the games would have been closer. James was great, but Ken was better.

Is love to see what Ken could do on regular jeopardy using the high reward strategy. From the looks of it, he could blow away some of James's records.

I told y'all not to sleep on Ken, and that it wouldn't surprise me if he won. He's a sharp cookie, and he was always quick on the buzzer.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

James seemed a bit petulant throughout, and I have a theory why. When you're a good poker player, and you realize there's someone better in the game, if you're smart you take your chips and go home or find another game. Here, James knew he was second best but had to stay and play anyway. Could be the first time in his life he met his match.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    James seemed a bit petulant throughout, and I have a theory why. When you're a good poker player, and you realize there's someone better in the game, if you're smart you take your chips and go home or find another game. Here, James knew he was second best but had to stay and play anyway. Could be the first time in his life he met his match.
    James is married and has a kid, which would make Ken at least the third time James has met his match.

Good tournament. I knew the Final Jeopardy! questions about the Oscars (which stumped all three) and Shakespeare (which only Ken got). This almost makes up for the 200-300 other clues they got and I didn’t.

Jennings

Nice Washington Post piece on Ken Jennings and the GOAT tournament. I like Jennings a lot more now. https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...754_story.html