Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Which is more true to your honest feelings

a) Duke beat UNC and Duke fans are very happy.

b) UNC lost to Duke and UNC fans are really unhappy.

I think for me it should be a but I think is is really b.

SoCal

For me, the down from losing is stronger than the high from winning. At least regular season.

That may not speak well about me, but that’s the honest answer.

A.

Glass half full kinda person.

It makes me extremely happy when we beat them and I focus on our win and how proud we should be rather than those toxic lunatics down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    For me, the down from losing is stronger than the high from winning. At least regular season.

Loss aversion bias. It's pretty common.

Yup. Same.

I’m happy now. Very happy last night.

If we lost, I’d be pissed last night, and pissed off today.

After the FF, I was upset for a week…
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I thought we were gonna lose so I’m happy we won. After thirty plus years of getting upset for days when we lose to UNC I’m finally able to get over it rather quickly.

I think for everyone who is a Duke fan that grew up in NC and endured the constant smugness and badgering of a unc fanbase that overwhelmingly outnumbered everyone else, it’s a definitive B with some significant A sprinkled in.

I think for everyone else it is mostly A with a good bit of B.

Depends. Sometimes it’s definitely B. Last night wasn’t one of those times though. The excitement and relief on Scheyer’s and Lively’s faces after the game was the best part.

Lucky in that my dad coached for 31 years at the high school level. And I played 3 years of varsity ball. Also I went to UNC and ALL of my college friends are also UNC grads and we have a strict no junk talking policy. I receive congratulatory texts or send them after the game. So no single game has any impact on me whatsoever. This is all one long thread of fandom for me. I scream at the tv during a game but never hold on to losses. Like never. Do love me some wins though!

A victory drink tastes great, but it is further sweetened by the thought of Tar Heel tears.

tarheel tears are the MOST delicious celebratory drink in the universe...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

C. Carolina lost and everyone is happy to bathe in the misery of Carolina fans.

My answer might be different if I had any tar heel fans in my life, but I’m way more happy for Duke fans winning than enjoying UNC fans suffering a loss. However, I do hope they are suffering a lot this year after the fluke good fortune of last year…

This wasn't the question, though. This question was asking whether, after a result like last night, do you first think, a) "Yay, Duke won! We get to be happy!!", or b) "Yay, those cheating SOBs lost! I'm so glad their fans are in agony!"

For me, it's a), and it is not close. I almost never take pleasure in someone else's pain, even if that person is a lying, cheating, low-down waste of humanity. Honestly, after most Duke wins, I don't even think about the fans down in Chapel Hell at all, unless the television crew chooses to film their slack-jawed disbelief.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    This wasn't the question, though. This question was asking whether, after a result like last night, do you first think, a) "Yay, Duke won! We get to be happy!!", or b) "Yay, those cheating SOBs lost! I'm so glad their fans are in agony!"

For me, it's a), and it is not close. I almost never take pleasure in someone else's pain, even if that person is a lying, cheating, low-down waste of humanity. Honestly, after most Duke wins, I don't even think about the fans down in Chapel Hell at all, unless the television crew chooses to film their slack-jawed disbelief.
    I feel them both at the same time. It’s not a binary jolt of euphoria for me. Just a lovely gumbo of ecstasy.

(btw, I’m naming my next band “Gumbo of Ecstasy” if not already taken).

I feel them both at the same time. It’s not a binary jolt of euphoria for me. Just a lovely gumbo of ecstasy.

(btw, I’m naming my next band “Gumbo of Ecstasy” if not already taken).
    I believe that name is trademarked by an adult film company in Louisiana. Don't ask, I won't tell.

While for me it is mostly “A”, I felt a little bit of “B” last night leaving Cameron when I passed that security guard who, before the game, was asking everyone who walked by to yell “go Tar Heels”.

Very happy we won. Especially happy we beat UNC. Won’t think about them again til we play them next.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    a) Duke beat UNC and Duke fans are very happy.

b) UNC lost to Duke and UNC fans are really unhappy.

I think for me it should be a but I think is is really b.

SoCal
    A) strikes me as being more aspirational: a well-earned victory, but hopefully a stepping stone on the way to greater achievements.
    B) B is fear-driven, for long-time fans particularly, a dying and irrational fear that lingers from a time when UNC's hegemony was rarely challenged, a vestige of "Dean Psychosis" if you will. No one gets under our skin the way UNC fans do, to no rational explanation aside from the fact that they are insufferable bowel portals.

When K came into the league he reset standards of achievement which helped put the UNC game into a better perspective. March became his primary obsession, not beating UNC. 7 Final Fours in 9 years is a strong indication that for K and his teams "UNC was just another game." While that never really became accepted orthodoxy, beating UNC still ranks as a highlight of the season, any season, you don't often get far in any pursuit if you are driven solely by a fear of failure. I would so much like A to be true, but yeah B is usually operative in my brain a good measure of the time. Even in the context of sports rivalries, I'm this concerned about what UNC fans feel? Really?

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Always A. I never care how they feel.