Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    How good were The Grateful Dead in concert?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MHU5FywUBEk
    I went to my share of Dead shows in the early 90s, always catching one or two shows during each of their swings through the NYC area. Iko Iko was not high on my list of songs I enjoyed hearing.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I went to my share of Dead shows in the early 90s, always catching one or two shows during each of their swings through the NYC area. Iko Iko was not high on my list of songs I enjoyed hearing.
    What tunes were high on your list?

I'd say the Dead's version is serviceable but not much more. Relative to Dr. John's (and some of the other NOLA R&B versions) at least, which benefit from mightily from horns and a tight syncopated groove. The latter was never a calling card for the Dead in my view, despite their instrumental prowess generally, and I feel similarly about their takes on Not Fade Away.

This HOF has many already inducted that were good, not great, and many who were not rock-n-roll musicians by any common understanding of the definition of the genre. So it's already a joke. But if they don't elect Zevon, it's even jokier.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    This HOF has many already inducted that were good, not great, and many who were not rock-n-roll musicians by any common understanding of the definition of the genre. So it's already a joke. But if they don't elect Zevon, it's even jokier.
    You didn't bang your head to "Red Headed Stranger"?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

What tunes were high on your list?
    A few in no particular order

Eyes of the World
    China Cat —> I Know you Rider
    Jack Straw
    Terrapin Station
    Truckin
    Black Peter
    Help on the Way —> Slipnot —> Franklin’s Tower
    Scarlet Begonias
    Samson and Delilah
    Wharf Rat
    Box of Rain
    Cold Rain and Snow

I had tickets to upcoming shows when Jerry died. I have not seen the various formations of the Dead since, but have heard some very good things about some of them.
    Carolina delenda est

A few in no particular order

Eyes of the World
    China Cat —> I Know you Rider
    Jack Straw
    Terrapin Station
    Truckin
    Black Peter
    Help on the Way —> Slipnot —> Franklin’s Tower
    Scarlet Begonias
    Samson and Delilah
    Wharf Rat
    Box of Rain
    Cold Rain and Snow

I had tickets to upcoming shows when Jerry died. I have not seen the various formations of the Dead since, but have heard some very good things about some of them.
    Very nice list of mostly Robert Hunter/Garcia tunes!

IMO, you saw the best (Jerry), let the newbies see the rest. Mayer gets my vote for the best post-Garcia.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    The latter was never a calling card for the Dead in my view, despite their instrumental prowess generally, and I feel similarly about their takes on Not Fade Away.
    My favorite part of the GD’s “Not Fade Away” is it became a lovefest between the band and audience. It was an excellent example of how we were also “Playing in the Band”.

mostly Robert Hunter/Garcia tunes!
    Most certainly. Lots of people made the Grateful Dead happen, but Hunter/Garcia made it happen.

Very nice list of mostly Robert Hunter/Garcia tunes!

IMO, you saw the best (Jerry), let the newbies see the rest. Mayer gets my vote for the best post-Garcia.
    Hey Jeffrey, as you know I’m a big fan of The Grateful Dead, but don’t have anywhere near your overall knowledge of the band and their music. I just found out Dead & Company is coming to Raleigh on June 1. What’s your take on them? Worth attending?

I just asked my wife about going and immediately got the turn down — “Jerry’s gone. And anyway, I need time to work on my paintings.” Lol.

If I go it looks like it’s boy’s night out! 🍻

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Hey Jeffrey, as you know I’m a big fan of The Grateful Dead, but don’t have anywhere near your overall knowledge of the band and their music. I just found out Dead & Company is coming to Raleigh on June 1. What’s your take on them? Worth attending?

I just asked my wife about going and immediately got the turn down — “Jerry’s gone. And anyway, I need time to work on my paintings.” Lol.

If I go it looks like it’s boy’s night out! 🍻
    Dead & Company is the best version since 1995. Their heart & soul (Jerry) is definitely gone, but they still have their amazing collection of Hunter/Garcia songs. I think you’ll have lots of fun!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

If I go it looks like it’s boy’s night out! ��
    D&C is a great show, but of course it's different. John Mayer is amazing to watch on guitar, as is Jeff Chimenti (keyboardist). It's your last chance to see them, so jump on tix if you can. Although while it's not technically a sell out, the only tickets remaining are resales, so they cost more. Lawn has doubled from the original price that I thankfully paid during presale to $120. The other NC show, as well as Bristow, VA, are sold out. We're saying our goodbyes in Charlotte and Raleigh.

PS, here's a link to a full show from last year at Shoreline.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q55ULm38TCg&t=675s
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 02-02-2023 at 07:41 PM.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Jeff Chimenti (keyboardist).
    IMO, their best keyboardist since 1990.

When I saw Greatful Dead at Winterland in San Francisco in 1971 all tickets were $3.

Quote Originally Posted by WV_Iron_Duke View Post
    When I saw Greatful Dead at Winterland in San Francisco in 1971 all tickets were $3.
    And the guy you hitchhiked to the show with paid only 35 cents a gallon.

To keep this thread on topic, when the Grateful Dead were inducted in the HOF, Jerry was represented by a cardboard cutout.

And the guy you hitchhiked to the show with paid only 35 cents a gallon.
    Only if they paid for the ride with cash — one of three options available at the time.

To keep this thread on topic, when the Grateful Dead were inducted in the HOF, Jerry was represented by a cardboard cutout.
    Because of Jerry’s opinion of the HOF and the ceremony. Garcia was about 30 years ahead of most of us who now acknowledge the HOF is lame.

Dead & Company is the best version since 1995. Their heart & soul (Jerry) is definitely gone, but they still have their amazing collection of Hunter/Garcia songs. I think you’ll have lots of fun!
    Booked it! Four lawn tickets for $105 each for me and three friends. I watched a bunch of Dead & Company videos earlier in the evening and now I’m really looking forward to it. I hope they play this one:

https://youtu.be/XHtpqkfliPM

Apologies for the thread derailment.

I hope they play this one:

https://youtu.be/XHtpqkfliPM
    Was Robert Hunter a prophet? Ten days later, Brent Mydland overdosed and Jerry Garcia convinced himself the GD would never be as good again….

You told me goodbye, how was I to know
    You didn't mean goodbye, you meant please don't let me go?
    I was having a high time, living the good life, well I know.
    The wheels are muddy, got a ton of hay,
    Now listen here, Baby, 'cause I mean what I say.

I'm having a hard time, living the good life, well I know.
    I was losing time, I had nothing to do,
    No one to fight, I came to you.

Wheels broke down, leader won't draw,
    The line is busted, the last one I saw.
    Tomorrow come trouble, tomorrow come pain,
    Now don't think too hard Baby, 'cause I know what I'm saying.

I could show you a high time, living the good life, don't be that way.
    Nothing's for certain, it could always go wrong,
    Come in when it's raining, go on out when it's gone.
    We could have us a high time, living the good life, well I know.

I hope Kate Bush gets admitted. The first song of hers that I heard was Wuthering Heights. However, I didn’t know it was her song when I heard Pat Benatar’s impressive cover. It was only years later, after I saw the video of Running Up That Hill on a German tv station on my first day living in Munich, that I even became aware of her.

Later, after moving back to the US and becoming a student at the University of Texas I started dating this interesting, artistic girl (Lauryn) who was obsessed with Kate Bush. She had a poster of her on her dorm room wall and owned all of her albums on vinyl: That’s when I started to really get to know Kate and her music. I had never really heard anything quite like it before. I especially liked her most recent album, Hounds of Love, which had been released fours years prior in 1985.

I got to know all of those albums really well because we spent so much time hanging out in her room, and Kate Bush was usually the music of choice — along with The Cure and The Smiths, two bands of whom I also became completely enamored. Anyway, later that semester The Sensual World was released. Of course Lauryn bought it immediately. The final song on that album, This Woman’s Work, still can bring a tear to my eye and instantly transports me back to that time and that dorm room.

Kate Bush has my vote. ✅