Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tiger's comeback

Tiger is now leading in Round 2 at the Hero World Challenge. Still early, but still impressive.

*Damit, supposed to be on off topic.
    ~rthomas

That dude isn’t quitting until he catches Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by duke4ever19 View Post
    or until his knee has the same consistency as the mcnugget's pink slime!
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by duke4ever19 View Post
    He will not catch Jack. His body will not hold up long enough for him and I'm not sure he wins another major tournament. And you can't count out a female pounding him with a 3 iron. Now back to Duke sports/GoDuke!

Out in 31. Right now he's kicking butt, but would be surprised if he can last 4 days.
    ~rthomas

I don't think he can catch Jack, but he can still win again. Don't count out Tiger. His accomplishments and ability show what he can do if healthy.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Out in 31. Right now he's kicking butt, but would be surprised if he can last 4 days.
    Just shows how much the injuries impacted him. This is the first comeback attempt he's made where he says the pain is now gone. His new swing doesn't put the knee in peril any longer, it was the back that was giving him fits and supposedly this last surgery fixed that. What's crazy is he really hasn't been practising all that long in preparation for this. Pretty remarkable what he's doing whether his stamina holds up or not. Just the fact that he's playing at this level this soon will swing the hype machine for Augusta into immediate overdrive!
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Not a Tiger fan. ESPN only covers golf when Tiger plays so I guess having him back is good for the sport since it gets ignored less...sigh

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Not a Tiger fan. ESPN only covers golf when Tiger plays so I guess having him back is good for the sport since it gets ignored less...sigh
    Can't you change the channel? I watch at least a portion of a golf tournament virtually every week of the year. ESPN only interests me when Duke is the bait. May the Golf Channel survive and advance forever!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Can't you change the channel? I watch at least a portion of a golf tournament virtually every week of the year. ESPN only interests me when Duke is the bait. May the Golf Channel survive and advance forever!
    +1. Loves me some Golf Channel.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    +1. Loves me some Golf Channel.
    +2. And, with my son, +3. -1 for Mrs. Tripping, though . . . .
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Of course *I* can go find golf when I want to. At the same time, I'm in the habit of watching Sportscenter and I'd like to see something other than TW get covered. Sometimes I only watch weekend or Sunday coverage...would be nice to just see good sports news coverage from my habitual watch than have to go search for it. Plus, it would help keep the casual fan a little more interested.

The hushed announcing and polite applause of TV golf is perfect for a Sunday nap. As for Tiger in the media, by all means give him the coverage his world ranking (1199) is due. I know it sounds mean but I've heard had enough about the back and knee issues. Of course if it's Vegas hookers and club-to-window stories then bring it on.

Forgot to add that if you are a golf fan, here's a worthy cause to shower with a few dollars. Four Durham kids are working on a documentary:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/50-over-sports-fun#/
    Last edited by jimmymax; 12-01-2017 at 06:49 PM. Reason: forgot

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    As for Tiger in the media, by all means give him the coverage his world ranking (1199) is due.
    How about that his 14 majors is due? The rest of the field has 8.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    How about that his 14 majors is due? The rest of the field has 8.
    Agreed. I like to play but if Tiger isn't playing idc to watch. Screw his current ranking.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Why do they show Tiger so much?

Because it is what the largest group of viewers apparently want to see.

Here in Augusta, the value of everything goes up when Tiger is in the hunt. Love it or hate it — the market speaks.

I wish him good luck in his attempt to get back to the top.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    He will not catch Jack. His body will not hold up long enough for him and I'm not sure he wins another major tournament. And you can't count out a female pounding him with a 3 iron. Now back to Duke sports/GoDuke!
    The Oracle of Delphi exists!

O sweet priestess! Apollo's mouthpiece! Pythia, bringer of future tidings.

Seriously though, I think he finds a way. Guys wired like him tend to do that.

Tom Watson almost (and really should have) won a major approaching 60. I certainly won’t confidently declare that Tiger never wins another. I do doubt he ever catches Nicklaus, but I wouldn’t rule him out there either.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Tom Watson almost (and really should have) won a major approaching 60. I certainly won’t confidently declare that Tiger never wins another. I do doubt he ever catches Nicklaus, but I wouldn’t rule him out there either.
    Except he didn’t hit a high pressure putt when he needed it to win. I really wish he would have, but he didn’t.

I think that’s Tiger’s major challenge. He isn’t going to roll in those key putts you have to hit (and he used to hit) to win majors.

Assuming, of course, he is physically capable of playing four rounds in four days.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Assuming, of course, he is physically capable of playing four rounds in four days.
    As if on cue, his third round at the Hero is not going well. He's 2-over thru 4. I agree with cato that the biggest hurdle for Tiger is being physically fit for 4 rounds in 4 days. I certainly hope he can come back and be competitive again... it would be good for the sport.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?