Page 2607 of 3383 FirstFirst ... 16072107250725572597260526062607260826092617265727073107 ... LastLast
Results 52,121 to 52,140 of 67658
    Dammit! They closed the Will Smith thread. And I had so much more to discuss!

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Dammit! They closed the Will Smith thread. And I had so much more to discuss!
    Now you have more time to post in all the unc threads on the main board.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I dunno...I knew a lot of sportswriters and few went to UNC journalism school..they generally are looking for something bigger than being regional sportswriters...but yes, most of the ACC area writers were unc fans who did not like Duke.
    I think in the southeast North Carolina is the pre-eminent journalism School. Did you ever read Oly's stuff talking about the ACC and NCAA tournament and how the journalists in the press room would openly cheer when Duke got beat? Plus the two guys I lived in an apartment with at UNC were J School majors and both of them still spell Duke I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this..

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I think in the southeast North Carolina is the pre-eminent journalism School. Did you ever read Oly's stuff talking about the ACC and NCAA tournament and how the journalists in the press room would openly cheer when Duke got beat? Plus the two guys I lived in an apartment with at UNC were J School majors and both of them still spell Duke I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this..
    North Carolina thinks it is the pre-eminent journalism School in the sourtheast. FIFY. The lack of professionalism shown by graduates of the school does not back up the claim, particularly when covering matters related to Duke, cough - lacrosse case - cough. It's not just the sportswriters.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    North Carolina thinks it is the pre-eminent journalism School in the sourtheast. FIFY. The lack of professionalism shown by graduates of the school does not back up the claim, particularly when covering matters related to Duke, cough - lacrosse case - cough. It's not just the sportswriters.
    I will own that my assumption was those boys were guilty when I heard about it. I'm not proud of that, but it's correct. I'm not someone who questions journalistic Integrity. I'm really not. But no one is immune to a little bit of bias.

I will own that my assumption was those boys were guilty when I heard about it. I'm not proud of that, but it's correct. I'm not someone who questions journalistic Integrity. I'm really not. But no one is immune to a little bit of bias.
    Lots of people jumped to that conclusion and let's face it, a bunch of lacrosse players behaving badly is not a stretch. But the subsequent coverage, the stuff that came after the accuser's story started to fall apart, that's where the problem lies. It was not UNC journalism grads who asked the appropriate questions in the press and they should have. If they cannot cover stories involving Duke appropriately, then something is lacking in their education as journalists.

Lots of people jumped to that conclusion and let's face it, a bunch of lacrosse players behaving badly is not a stretch. But the subsequent coverage, the stuff that came after the accuser's story started to fall apart, that's where the problem lies. It was not UNC journalism grads who asked the appropriate questions in the press and they should have. If they cannot cover stories involving Duke appropriately, then something is lacking in their education as journalists.
    That feels like too broad a brush for me here.

As much as I dislike that school, I don't think you can come down on UNC journalism grads for that fiasco. ALL journalism outlets from ALL schools messed that one up big time. I don't think they should have been expected to step up any more than the others. It's just what too much journalism is nowadays. Sensationalism over truth first, then maybe later get to the facts.

Please don't resurrect the lax hoax story! DBR has driven a stake in it. It's done.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Please don't resurrect the lax hoax story! DBR has driven a stake in it. It's done.

-jk
    We aren't relitigating that. Plus has anyone ever said to you: "Today I didn't even have to use my JK. I got to say it was a good day."? If you don't have any friends that would reference Ice Cube every time they talk to you, then you need to reevaluate your friendship model. You're welcome.

Several things: the unc journalism school is in fact very good, that's a fact (a good Duke pal of mine went there for a Master's degree). I also knew Oly quite well, and knew a lot of the writers he was conversant with, and few if any attended
    UNC J-school. As I said before, journalism grads generally were looking to write about bigger stuff than ACC hoops...you don't have to be a journalism grad of any school, much less a good one, to be a sportswriter.

Caulton Tudor was a good example of a crusty veteran scribe in the ACC area, he went to ECU.

We aren't relitigating that. Plus has anyone ever said to you: "Today I didn't even have to use my JK. I got to say it was a good day."? If you don't have any friends that would reference Ice Cube every time they talk to you, then you need to reevaluate your friendship model. You're welcome.
    Guess I need to reevaluate my friendship model!

-jk

Several things: the unc journalism school is in fact very good, that's a fact (a good Duke pal of mine went there for a Master's degree). I also knew Oly quite well, and knew a lot of the writers he was conversant with, and few if any attended
    UNC J-school. As I said before, journalism grads generally were looking to write about bigger stuff than ACC hoops...you don't have to be a journalism grad of any school, much less a good one, to be a sportswriter.

Caulton Tudor was a good example of a crusty veteran scribe in the ACC area, he went to ECU.
    I miss him. He was the person that I turned to on the basketball side to border my thoughts. I might have a thought or emotion about something but I watched coach K's press conference and read what Oly had to say.

Guess I need to reevaluate my friendship model!

-jk
    I even saw the lights of the Goodyear blimp and it read Aimo's a pimp.

I miss him. He was the person that I turned to on the basketball side to border my thoughts. I might have a thought or emotion about something but I watched coach K's press conference and read what Oly had to say.
    he was certainly correct in saying few writers were in Duke's corner, that's pretty much been a given for half a century.

he was certainly correct in saying few writers were in Duke's corner, that's pretty much been a given for half a century.
    Like for real for real I would say it started hardcore in 2001 with Billy Packer in the final four that year.

I even saw the lights of the Goodyear blimp and it read Aimo's a pimp.
    Uh, oh!

-jk

-jk
    Well, what else is there to talk about then if we can’t do the slap or Lax?!? Woodrow Wilson is off the table, too, and that’s like half the things people talk about besides sex, drugs, politics, religion and farts.

That feels like too broad a brush for me here.
    Yeah, probably. I'll back off my criticisms of UNC's School of Journalism.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Well, what else is there to talk about then if we can’t do the slap or Lax?!? Woodrow Wilson is off the table, too, and that’s like half the things people talk about besides sex, drugs, politics, religion and farts.
    This is so good.