Page 1812 of 3383 FirstFirst ... 81213121712176218021810181118121813181418221862191223122812 ... LastLast
Results 36,221 to 36,240 of 67660
    Meow

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Worst mainstream Hollywood actor?
    Current or all time?

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Current or all time?
    Well you know a thing or 2 about this so I would like to see both.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Steven Seagal, Chuck Norris and Jean Claude Vamn Damme. I am not looking up how Jean Claude actually spells his name. I dislike him that much.
    Seagal and Norris are awful. I don't understand why my grandma loves watching them both.

Van Damme is bad, too, but I have a soft spot for Blood Sport. Kumite!

We're leaning into the 80s action stars. What about actors/actresses in supposedly serious roles?

I'll toss out Brad Pitt in Troy.

Seagal and Norris are awful. I don't understand why my grandma loves watching them both.

Van Damme is bad, too, but I have a soft spot for Blood Sport. Kumite!

We're leaning into the 80s action stars. What about actors/actresses in supposedly serious roles?

I'll toss out Brad Pitt in Troy.
    I never watched that but in general when I watch a Brad Pitt movie he's so pretty that I don't know if I actually follow his acting at all or if I just sort of stare at him mesmerised. Am I oversharing? I feel like I'm over sharing.

I never watched that but in general when I watch a Brad Pitt movie he's so pretty that I don't know if I actually follow his acting at all or if I just sort of stare at him mesmerised. Am I oversharing? I feel like I'm over sharing.
    He’s been good to very good in other movies, maybe even great in one or two. He was bad in Troy though but Troy was also just bad.

Yes, Brad Pitt is very pretty and he’s aging like Redford. I feel like I’m going to age like Brando.

Unpopular take: Al Pacino had one great role. Everything else is some serious and annoying overacting.

Dustin Hoffman, pretty much the same thing but I’ll give him two great roles.

Keanu Reeves is a horrible actor, but apparently a great guy. And I do like his John Wick movies although they are pretty absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Unpopular take: Al Pacino had one great role. Everything else is some serious and annoying overacting.

Keanu Reeves is a horrible actor, but apparently a great guy. And I do like his John Wick movies although they are pretty absurd.
    All of this is correct as long as one of Hoffman's great roles was Mr Booger-strom on The Simpsons. Just a tour de force performance.

...Keanu Reeves is a horrible actor, but apparently a great guy. And I do like his John Wick movies although they are pretty absurd.
    Coolest thing about Keanu is his immortality.
    https://www.keanuisimmortal.com/

I will defend Keanu tooth and nail. He has very little range, but there are two kinds of roles he can play, Ted and Neo. When your movie has a role that calls for a Ted or a Neo? Nobody hits it out of the park like Keanu. Nobody. And his turn playing "himself" in Always Be My Maybe? Comedy gold. Also, when it comes to Much Ado About Nothing, the role where everybody talks about how terrible he is? First of all, Don John is a thankless role, he is not one of Shakespeare's more interesting villains. Keanu is far from the worst thing about that movie, Robert Sean Leonard's Claudio is much, much worse. Side note: Claudio is another thankless role. The actor playing Claudio has one task, make him likeable. What the character does, by modern standards, is unforgiveable. You should not be rooting for him to get the girl in the end, so, the actor has got to make you believe otherwise, with Hero's help, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I will defend Keanu tooth and nail. He has very little range, but there are two kinds of roles he can play, Ted and Neo. When your movie has a role that calls for a Ted or a Neo? Nobody hits it out of the park like Keanu. Nobody. And his turn playing "himself" in Always Be My Maybe? Comedy gold. Also, when it comes to Much Ado About Nothing, the role where everybody talks about how terrible he is? First of all, Don John is a thankless role, he is not one of Shakespeare's more interesting villains. Keanu is far from the worst thing about that movie, Robert Sean Leonard's Claudio is much, much worse. Side note: Claudio is another thankless role. The actor playing Claudio has one task, make him likeable. What the character does, by modern standards, is unforgiveable. You should not be rooting for him to get the girl in the end, so, the actor has got to make you believe otherwise, with Hero's help, of course.
    I am so unbelievably proud of myself for not sending what I had typed about Keanu. I feel exactly the same way you do but I would have said it at about a second grade level. I don't do it often, but every now and again I do keep my mouth shut and wait for someone who knows more about something than I do to respond. Maybe this is the start of a good day.

OK, much as I hate to pick on female actors, my least favorite actor isn't really acting anymore but there was a time when she did some big movies, Liza Minnelli. I'm not going to pick on Madonna because I don't think of her as an actor. Putting her in a movie was always stunt casting.

For male actors, I agree that Al Pacino has lost it, but the one who ruins movies for me, is Ben Stiller. That said, I can deal with him in a supporting role, sometimes.

Regarding Segal, Norris, Van Damme - see my comment above about Madonna.

I'm with you here. I've never understood the adulation for Pacino and think he's borderline funny in some roles. It makes him endearing but not a great actor.

Bob DeNiro has been mailing it in for decades, too.

[B]

I'm with you here. I've never understood the adulation for Pacino and think he's borderline funny in some roles. It makes him endearing but not a great actor.

I don't disagree, but Bob DeNiro mailing it in is still better than most people on their best days. And he's kinda taken the Shatner turn with his late career - most of his roles in some way are making fun of his younger self. You do get the feeling that he is decidedly in on the joke and having a blast. "You wanna pay me to mail it in and make a few self-referential jokes? Sure. I'll take your money."

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Coolest thing about Keanu is his immortality.
    https://www.keanuisimmortal.com/
    Spork-worthy link, Wilson!

[B]

Oh well. I'm going to go ahead and screw it up early I guess. My inclination with De Niro is he is somewhat like a 17 year old basketball prodigy who buys into the hype about himself and stops working. I'm thinking someone like Felipe Lopez who is just physically more mature as a 16 and 17 year old than his peers and he leans into that physical superiority but never actually expands his game. And by the time he figures it out he has too many bad habits to undo and his peers pass him by. There is also about a 117% chance I am overthinking this analogy.

You guys have a June? I thought you had like four Januarys (Januaries?) or something and just didn't have a June, July and August at all. It's like January, January, January, January, February, March, April, May, September right?
    Winter is December thru March, you can count on four months. I don't mind the intensity, I do whine about the duration.

There is no Spring. April is mud season and it is ugly and wet.

May thru October is about as nice as you'll find anywhere...one may break that down into Summer and Fall if one wishes...it's all The Good Season to me.

p.s. yesterday's normal high temp was 38, yesterday it was 63 and sunny. Much snow melted. Got to wear shorts, I think people like seeing my legs...

You folks move fast – is tough to keep up. I will endeavor to close the gap. But since this is the LTE, will do so in 60 second intervals….

Tattoos

Tattoos. Hmm.… in my mind I have tattoos equivalent to scars. Nothing wrong with having them, but I don’t ever expect to get up in the morning thinking, “Gotta get me one today”

True story: Told our kids that they were free to get a tattoo. I also mentioned that if you’re old enough to get a tattoo, you’re old enough to pay for college.

With a nod to OPK, I’m also a big fan of Mr. Buffett’s poetic musings

Spring Thaw

Thaw even reached us. We lost Nature’s awning in a 3am thud this morning.

Nat Screenshot 2021-03-12 083233.jpg