Another congratulations to...

OZZIE, as his daughter was married in a very nice ceremony today to a fine young gentleman from eastern Tennessee. I will allow him the courtesy of posting as many details as he would like later (after he recovers from the double shock of losing his daughter to a much younger man AND having to pay for that pleasure ). I think he gets all the leftover Bud Light so his pain will be diminished as the evening passes . My wife and I have been taking dance lessons for the last 7 months so my only minor 'disappointments' were the lack of dancing at the reception (the DJ and his music selections were fine it's just that very, very few folks got out and danced-somewhat surprisingly) and the lack of 'cue at the reception (just kiddin' ya here, OZ, considering how much we debate 'cue here on the boards ). The surprise of the afternoon was (no, Coach K did not show up but there was a picture of Jennifer with K from several years ago on the bride and groom's picture table) the father-daughter dance. No, it was not some boring 'slow' dance as OZZIE and his daughter rocked the house with the Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels version of Devil with a Blue Dress/Good Golly, Miss Molly. OZZIE was expecting it to be played during the festivities and Jennifer surprised him by making it their father-daughter dance. Way cool. Now, it's OZZIE's turn.

Congrats to Ozzie and his family! Can't wait to hear the details/tips/suggestions

Thumbs up The Paradigm of Optimism ... congrats

We want details, as soon as everything has settled down.

Can't imagine what it must feel like ... eek, I'm getting unnerved as I look at my 11-yr-old girl.

Better wrestle/tickle her while I can!

CONGRATS OZZIE!!

Wedding Bell Cheers,
    Lavabe

P.S. I gave up my Spanarkel status for this message.
    Last edited by Lavabe; 05-04-2008 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Spanarkel

Spanarkel

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    We want details, as soon as everything has settled down.

Can't imagine what it must feel like ... eek, I'm getting unnerved as I look at my 11-yr-old girl.

Better wrestle/tickle her while I can!

CONGRATS OZZIE!!

Wedding Bell Cheers,
    Lavabe

P.S. I gave up my Spanarkel status for this message.
    And a worthy reason to surrender your revered status. My only concern is, does your Spanarkel-fetished wife know what you have done .

Thumbs up The recap

I did good. Beautiful bride, handsome groom, a perfect day!

Walking her down the aisle was everything I hoped it would be. Watching the look on her face was priceless. And standing with her before "giving her away", seeing the look of love on both their faces, was such a feeling of joy! The father of the bride really does have the best "seat" in the house (at least until he sits down, and then the minister does.)

DD, you left too early. After all the "old fogey's" had left, the HS kids from her church youth group (Jennifer has been their leader for three years) all danced "energizer" dances, to The Electric Slide, the Macarana, the Hokey Pokey, YMCA and other songs with the bride and groom. I even joined in a couple of times. I love dancing to YMCA.

And yes, my daughter surprised me with her selection of "Devil" as our Father of the Bride dance song. It was perfect!

My advice to ugadevil - enjoy the ride. You are there to pay the bills and enjoy the moments. Let your daughter and wife do as much of the planning as they want (an occasional "it costs how much?" is permitted, then go along with them. Sometimes they surprise you and cut back a bit!) I did most of the actual logistical planning, following their directions. You'll never regret doing it right.

The happy couple is off to Honolulu this morning; their plane is in the air as I type. Some day, we'll hear about it, at least part of it!

To Jennifer and Patrick - long may they love!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Hey Ozzie, congratulations! 2 questions:

1. Did you cry?

2. Do we get to see a picture of the happy couple?

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Hey Ozzie, congratulations! 2 questions:

1. Did you cry?

2. Do we get to see a picture of the happy couple?
    1. No. Way too happy inside to cry. I've never done "tears of joy".

2. I don't know how to post a picture on the board, and I don't have a server to point you to. I won't see the official pictures for a couple of weeks, but I did take some pictures of them yesterday morning that came out pretty good - I'll email one to you. The days of the groom not seeing the bride until she walks down the aisle are over - now, many of the official pictures are taken the morning of the wedding, she in her dress and he in his tux.

9F 9F 9F

marriage

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    Congrats to Ozzie and his family! Can't wait to hear the details/tips/suggestions
    Please set us straight here-are you getting married or planning for your son/daughter to get married? OZZIE thinks you are the father-I thought you were the groom-to-be

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    2. I don't know how to post a picture on the board, and I don't have a server to point you to. I won't see the official pictures for a couple of weeks, but I did take some pictures of them yesterday morning that came out pretty good - I'll email one to you. The days of the groom not seeing the bride until she walks down the aisle are over - now, many of the official pictures are taken the morning of the wedding, she in her dress and he in his tux.
    Like any other girl, I love weddings, and seeing pics.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Please set us straight here-are you getting married or planning for your son/daughter to get married? OZZIE thinks you are the father-I thought you were the groom-to-be
    Oops.

ugadevil, if you are getting married, my advice to you is don't get drunk the night before the wedding. The hangover pretty much ruins your wedding day. And yes, that is from personal experience.... Have the bachelor party at least 2 days before.

9F 9F 9F

WHOA!!!!! HAHAHA. I'm definitely the groom-to-be. Wow, me being a father of the bride. My post count would basically cease because I'm pretty sure my mom would shoot me!

Ozzie, in regards to location, did you have the ceremony and reception in one spot? From all the best wishes about weather, I'm guessing the wedding was outside? Was the reception at a place that provided the catering? Or did you have the catering done separately?

WHOA!!!!! HAHAHA. I'm definitely the groom-to-be. Wow, me being a father of the bride. My post count would basically cease because I'm pretty sure my mom would shoot me!

Ozzie, in regards to location, did you have the ceremony and reception in one spot? From all the best wishes about weather, I'm guessing the wedding was outside? Was the reception at a place that provided the catering? Or did you have the catering done separately?
    The original plan was for an outside wedding at Valle Crusis Park, near Boone, NC. We were going to use two different areas of the park, one for the ceremony and one for the reception, with a big tent for the reception. Tent (100' x 40'), chairs and table rentals were going to be $3000+ alone, and that's before the food, DJ and everything else. It would have been very pretty if the weather was good, but miserable if it was raining. For a variety of reasons we moved the wedding to Smithfield, and she got married in the church she grew up with and had the ceremony at my country club. The club catered the event "in house", although we had the option of bringing someone else in to do it. Pictures were taken outside as the weather did cooperate magnificently! We considered having the ceremony at the club, but decided not to. It works either way.

9F 9F 9F

congrats

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    The original plan was for an outside wedding at Valle Crusis Park, near Boone, NC. We were going to use two different areas of the park, one for the ceremony and one for the reception, with a big tent for the reception. Tent (100' x 40'), chairs and table rentals were going to be $3000+ alone, and that's before the food, DJ and everything else. It would have been very pretty if the weather was good, but miserable if it was raining. For a variety of reasons we moved the wedding to Smithfield, and she got married in the church she grew up with and had the ceremony at my country club. The club catered the event "in house", although we had the option of bringing someone else in to do it. Pictures were taken outside as the weather did cooperate magnificently! We considered having the ceremony at the club, but decided not to. It works either way.
    $3000+ for tent, chairs, tables . Before the food, DJ and everything else . A magnificent idea to move it to the home church and local CC. That leaves a lot of extra Franklins for the honeymoon and the Bud Light .

$3000+ for tent, chairs, tables . Before the food, DJ and everything else . A magnificent idea to move it to the home church and local CC. That leaves a lot of extra Franklins for the honeymoon and the Bud Light .
    Exactly, but it was actually their decision and choice. But no way I would have stayed within my proposed budget if it had stayed at Valle Crusis.

And their flight to Hawaii is in the air as I type.

9F 9F 9F

$3000+ for tent, chairs, tables . Before the food, DJ and everything else .
    Now that I've started looking at this stuff, it seems like places make a lot of money on tables and chairs. At the locations I've considered, they offer a set amount of chairs that is well under the amount you'll probably need. Therefore, they charge on a per chair basis for every extra you will need. So, if you'll need 150 more chairs, at $5 per chair, it gets expensive in a hurry.

I've heard that current estimates for weddings in this country are around $20,000.
    Last edited by ugadevil; 05-05-2008 at 03:41 PM. Reason: More budget numbers

I've heard that current estimates for weddings in this country are around $20,000.
    The average here in Los Angeles is supposed to be $32,000. $20,000 sounds good in comparison.