Page 1587 of 3371 FirstFirst ... 58710871487153715771585158615871588158915971637168720872587 ... LastLast
Results 31,721 to 31,740 of 67405
    95F today, 75F tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I get that reference.
    You could probably even link to a video with it...

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I say it again, serenity now!
    Anyone else watch Firefly? I (sheepishly) confess to having enjoyed it.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    I have not but recently saw a post/ranking of one season shows that had it as the best one season show. A couple more that I haven’t seen but that I probably would have enjoyed back in the day were Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    The old Joss Whedon space western? It was great, not sure why you'd be sheepish about it! I liked the movie, too!

I'm beginning to think my 31 year old toaster is about to give up the ghost.

That’s not good. It’s supposed to give up the toast.

I'm reminded of when we got a new fridge, mentioned to the appliance store lads moving the old one out "this thing's 23 years old." "Don't worry," they told me, "this new one won't last that long."

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'm reminded of when we got a new fridge, mentioned to the appliance store lads moving the old one out "this thing's 23 years old." "Don't worry," they told me, "this new one won't last that long."
    Our stove is pushing 60 - original to our house. The refrigerator is 30+ years old; it came with the house in the late 90s. We replaced the 55 yo (original) furnace only when we doubled the size of the house, despite the doom-and-gloom prognosticating from the annual maintenance guy. "We'll put in a high efficiency one. You'll get your money back in 10 years with the savings." "How long will the new one last?" "About 10 years..."

We've been through 3 dishwashers (the original and 2 since) in 20 years.

They don't build them like they used to, chaining us to a replacement treadmill. And I'm guessing that efficiency doesn't quite make up for the energy all the extra manufacturing needs. It certainly didn't when we looked into going geothermal.

-jk

yes, I feel like a codger for agreeing, but I do. Had to toss the original (working) stove at age 25 to remodel the kitchen, but that thing was better than the new, fancier one. My trusted juicer is 40; Cars may be getting more durable these days (not in all cases) but appliances not so much, by my experience.

I felt guilty getting rid of my 9 year old lawn mower last year. I did replace it with a battery powered lawn mower that had a subsidy from the local utility. No more "the gas can is empty" Saturday morning trips any more.

I have not but recently saw a post/ranking of one season shows that had it as the best one season show. A couple more that I haven’t seen but that I probably would have enjoyed back in the day were Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared.
    Freaks and Geeks the BEST one season show ever.

I felt guilty getting rid of my 9 year old lawn mower last year. I did replace it with a battery powered lawn mower that had a subsidy from the local utility. No more "the gas can is empty" Saturday morning trips any more.
    I have had my mower for over 20 years. Of course, it won't start right now . . .

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I have had my mower for over 20 years. Of course, it won't start right now . . .
    I had to rebuild the carb on mine a couple times, then just started using premium fuel to run it. Cheaper fuels would gum it up.

Is all this appliance talk coded 'kids these days' griping? Like, kids these days may be prettier than we were but they're less practical, don't work as well as hard or as long, break down every few years and can only be helped by specialty professionals?

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    My dishwasher is broken but I can't replace it. It's about 15 years old now. My washing machine keeps breaking and my husband keeps fixing it telling me I can't get a new one because a new one won't last as long as this one has (came with the house, wasn't new then so we figure it's at least 25 years old now, maybe 30.) The dryer is the same. I've told the hubby that I no longer care that a new one won't last as long, we won't be in this house long enough to see it break.

I live in a house full of broken s__t and it keeps getting worse.

But given what is going on with new appliances during the pandemic, I figure I'll have to put up with all the broken s__t for at least another year.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Like, kids these days may be prettier than we were but they're less practical...
    Better access to specialty chemicals...

Wnd poof, just like that, a bad vacuum cleaner. Specifically, the roller brush powers on it kicks out the circuit breaker. Motor is rated for 11 amps, circuit breaker is 20 amps. Nothing else on for the circuit it is kicking. Hmmm...

Interesting list of songs from The Boss:

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/bruce-s...ing-stone/amp/

Bruce Springsteen’s Favourite Songs:

• ‘Hound Dog’ – Elvis Presley
    • ‘I Want To Hold Your Hand’ – The Beatles
    • ‘It’s All Over Now’ – The Rolling Stones
    • ‘Madame George’ – Van Morrison
    • ‘What’s Going On’ – Marvin Gaye
    • ‘Out Of Sight’ – James Brown
    • ‘Baby I Need Your Loving’ – Four Tops
    • ‘Like A Rolling Stone’ – Bob Dylan

Wnd poof, just like that, a bad vacuum cleaner. Specifically, the roller brush powers on it kicks out the circuit breaker. Motor is rated for 11 amps, circuit breaker is 20 amps. Nothing else on for the circuit it is kicking. Hmmm...
    My vacuum is pushing 50 years old - it's the one I pushed around doing chores as a kid. Built like a tank (and weighs like one, too). And they still make parts for it.

-jk