Page 2406 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 14061906230623562396240424052406240724082416245625062906 ... LastLast
Results 48,101 to 48,120 of 67398
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Pirates roamed the seas
    How much do their earrings cost?
    A buccaneer, duh.
    Wow. A pun INSIDE a haiku. Impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I have mixed emotions. I think girls need to be taught to speak up more when they think an adult is wrong. I have had one too many 10-12 year old boy treat me as though I don't know what I'm talking about to completely agree with this advice. Certainly kids should be taught to ask questions but teaching them that some adults are really dumb and uniformed does not give them to tools to discern whether it's the adults who are dumb and uniformed or if it's them.
    Yeah, I don't think I ever needed to be taught that. Ask your mom. I was a smartass at age 6.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Wow. A pun INSIDE a haiku. Impressive!
    OMG. I may have to try LSD and re-read it for hours; that’s how mind blowing and world expanding that is. I don’t throw words like “genius” around often but…

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Yeah, I don't think I ever needed to be taught that. Ask your mom. I was a smartass at age 6.
    Ok, then teach kids to ask questions, don't teach them that adults are dumb and uninformed, even though some of them are.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    You know, yes and no. I think kids need to be taught that adults aren't always right --- and that some of them are really dumb and uninformed. I will never forget being in a summer daycare at 6 or 7 and getting into an argument with a teacher about which state was the largest. I had family living in Alaska and had been there and knew all about the state but the teacher kept pointing at the map and saying, "Look, CLEARLY Texas is the largest." He was not messing around.
    The people who should be teaching kids that adults aren't always right are the kids' parents. I got into similar arguments in my childhood, and more importantly, so did my kids. If they weren't sure for some reason (or if their teacher argued well), they came home to verify. They rapidly learned how to tell good teachers from the not good ones, without explicit instruction that some adults are idiots. Eventually, they also learned that their parents are idiots, but that took longer.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    The people who should be teaching kids that adults aren't always right are the kids' parents. I got into similar arguments in my childhood, and more importantly, so did my kids. If they weren't sure for some reason (or if their teacher argued well), they came home to verify. They rapidly learned how to tell good teachers from the not good ones, without explicit instruction that some adults are idiots. Eventually, they also learned that their parents are idiots, but that took longer.
    All kids eventually learn that their parents are idiots. But alas, some of them actually are, and they are the ones that probably aren't teaching their kids that adults aren't always right. Family members, teachers, coaches, caregivers, or any other trusted adult in a kid's life, we should hope that one of them teaches kids not to accept everything as true, even if it's an adult who is providing the information. But, in the end, that's what education is all about, learning to think critically.

Ok, then teach kids to ask questions, don't teach them that adults are dumb and uninformed, even though some of them are.
    My son is unusually astute. The other day he said: "You know what you and mom got right? You never talked down to us, even in front of other adults. You used big words and hard concepts with us even when we were little." Also when I have been wrong about things I have gone to the kids and told them I recognize I was wrong and may have reacted poorly in the moment, but it's because I am human and prone to mistakes. I am bad about denying I made a mistake or was wrong in the moment. But I am good about owning it later. I have worked so incredibly hard not to be my parents. Whom I love, but didn't want to emulate.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    My son is unusually astute. The other day he said: "You know what you and mom got right? You never talked down to us, even in front of other adults. You used big words and hard concepts with us even when we were little." Also when I have been wrong about things I have gone to the kids and told them I recognize I was wrong and may have reacted poorly in the moment, but it's because I am human and prone to mistakes. I am bad about denying I made a mistake or was wrong in the moment. But I am good about owning it later. I have worked so incredibly hard not to be my parents. Whom I love, but didn't want to emulate.
    This was my parents. People used to laugh at us b/c we talked like little adults.

This was my parents. People used to laugh at us b/c we talked like little adults.
    My kids did too. And without the terrible accent.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    My kids did too. And without the terrible accent.
    Your son doesn't sound like Gomer Pyle? How disappointing.

Your son doesn't sound like Gomer Pyle? How disappointing.
    Shazaaaaam! Sorry I wrecked your jeep Sgt Carter!

All kids eventually learn that their parents are idiots. But alas, some of them actually are, and they are the ones that probably aren't teaching their kids that adults aren't always right. Family members, teachers, coaches, caregivers, or any other trusted adult in a kid's life, we should hope that one of them teaches kids not to accept everything as true, even if it's an adult who is providing the information. But, in the end, that's what education is all about, learning to think critically.
    I agree with every after the smiley. "Should be" was doing a lot of heavy lifting there, and there are plenty of kids for whom it won't be the case that they learn this from their parents. On the other hand, every kid figures at some point figures out that not everyone is right or even to be trusted, and it is a whole lot easier if they have friendly help to get there, regardless of where that help comes from. I didn't make that clear.

Obviously, I agree with everything before the smiley, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I agree with every after the smiley. "Should be" was doing a lot of heavy lifting there, and there are plenty of kids for whom it won't be the case that they learn this from their parents. On the other hand, every kid figures at some point figures out that not everyone is right or even to be trusted, and it is a whole lot easier if they have friendly help to get there, regardless of where that help comes from. I didn't make that clear.

Obviously, I agree with everything before the smiley, too.
    Yes, I think my original point on this is that I think a lot of parents teach their children not to doubt adults — and sometimes the parents will trust other adults more than they trust their own children.

I think children need to be taught healthy but respectful skepticism of adults’ claims and actions. It’s a big difference in teaching your child confidence in themselves versus self-doubt. Maybe it’s because my wife worked for NCMEC at one point but we are both very untrusting of adults in a position of power.

Yes, I think my original point on this is that I think a lot of parents teach their children not to doubt adults — and sometimes the parents will trust other adults more than they trust their own children.

I think children need to be taught healthy but respectful skepticism of adults’ claims and actions. It’s a big difference in teaching your child confidence in themselves versus self-doubt. Maybe it’s because my wife worked for NCMEC at one point but we are both very untrusting of adults in a position of power.
    Agreed with all of this.

They had a cookie swap at my wife's work so she brought home a bunch of different cookies. One of them was just an Oreo dipped in some sort of lustrous fudge. Nice little 2-step process.

They had a cookie swap at my wife's work so she brought home a bunch of different cookies. One of them was just an Oreo dipped in some sort of lustrous fudge. Nice little 2-step process.
    A convenient one-step process version is also available.

While conversing with someone about music and then searching YouTube, I stumbled on this. MCC was my antidote to too much grunge at kegs late into the night:

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    A convenient one-step process version is also available.
    Hmmm. I think this lady might have just bought a bag of Oreos and brought them to the cookie swap. Is that even legal? I thought everything had to be home baked?!?!

Hmmm. I think this lady might have just bought a bag of Oreos and brought them to the cookie swap. Is that even legal? I thought everything had to be home baked?!?!
    It does also appear to be a recipe that people make. So could go either way.

What's the first rule of cookie swap?