Page 93 of 149 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,860 of 2971
    Quote Originally Posted by Messimorgan17 View Post
    It’s Tonight. Here’s the thing. I don’t think anyone else said this before but maybe I just missed it. Keels is coming to Duke. Look at the timing. Keels announces yesterday that he’s moving his announcement up to tonight. Then Stewart announces he’s leaving. A lot of minutes opened up in our backcourt for him. Keels was probably told Stewart was leaving before the public announcement. Coincidence regarding the timing of the two announcements?
    I see what you are saying, but 17-18 year old kids are pretty volitile. I'm not counting any chickens yet

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I see what you are saying, but 17-18 year old kids are pretty volitile. I'm not counting any chickens yet
    Where's that jinx thread?

GoDuke!

It’s Tonight. Here’s the thing. I don’t think anyone else said this before but maybe I just missed it. Keels is coming to Duke. Look at the timing. Keels announces yesterday that he’s moving his announcement up to tonight. Then Stewart announces he’s leaving. A lot of minutes opened up in our backcourt for him. Keels was probably told Stewart was leaving before the public announcement. Coincidence regarding the timing of the two announcements?
    Sorry. Don’t want to jinx... And yes it ain’t over til it’s over.

For him, it’s also a matter of the devil you do know. ( Roach).

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    If Keels picks Duke and we can add a transfer guard that can defend, take care of the ball and be an average shooter, I'll be happy. In other words another Goldwire. First thing we need is for Keels to pick Duke today as his final destination.

GoDuke!
    I mostly agree. I mean, I hope that Roach can make that jump next year, but he's really the only guy we have in the mix who could fit that bill (at least in terms of guarding against quicker players).

Moore has a lot of versatility and physical strength, but he's not been great at protecting the ball in his two seasons, isn't much of a 3pt shooter, and isn't terribly quick so he is better defensively against bigger guards and forwards.

Keels, if we get him, is a shooter scorer and a bigger SG, isn't much of a ballhandler, and isn't very quick.

We have good ballhandlers and shot creators at SF and PF in Griffin and Banchero, but it would be nice to have a quicker, smaller guard in the rotation.

Sorry. Don’t want to jinx... And yes it ain’t over til it’s over.

For him, it’s also a matter of the devil you do know. ( Roach).
    As Jalen Johnson showed, "It isn't truly over when it's over."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I wonder if Goldwire knew about Steward’s decision. If we get Keels, I’m not sure we could find a better fit for our needs in the transfer portal than JG. Ballhandling, defense, leadership. I hope he reconsiders. This team will have championship potential.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I hope that Baker gets more of a shot next season. He does fit the mold of what many of us want, it’s just that he really seemed to regress this past season. I’m rooting for him though.
    Baker could break out. He has had flashes. Confidence is a strange thing.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I think it's going to be hard for Baker, especially if Keels comes. That's 3 guys (Moore, Griffin, and Keels) who are simply better than him at the wing spot. No, Moore and Griffin aren't the shooters that Baker is (and this is possibly true of Keels as well). But they do the other stuff better.

Maybe Baker makes a big leap next year, but it feels very much like he'll be the odd man out again.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Even if we add Keels, we still need another scholarship guard or two for 5 on 5 practices.
    Boogie Ellis Memphis transfer that decommitted from Duke. Let's get him.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Do guys go back to schools they considered in original recruitment but did not attend? I could see the reasons for it (liked the school a lot during initial recruitment, already have some familiarity with the school and coaching staff, etc) but also the drawbacks (potential damaged relationships from initial rejection, coaches not wanting to get turned down twice, players wanting a totally clean start, etc). With all of the transfers the last few years has this been something that has happened with any frequency? Juzang at UCLA the best example but that may be more location/family than school? I don't follow recruiting or transfers enough to know if this happens.

Freshman DJ was a better player than Freshman Boogie, but Soph Boogie was pretty similar to Frosh DJ, except being a better shooter from distance (38% from 3, but worse from the line and from 2). Would fit in very nicely with the roster if there is mutual interest.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    I think he’s going to expect more than to just be available for practice.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I think it's going to be hard for Baker, especially if Keels comes. That's 3 guys (Moore, Griffin, and Keels) who are simply better than him at the wing spot. No, Moore and Griffin aren't the shooters that Baker is (and this is possibly true of Keels as well). But they do the other stuff better.

Maybe Baker makes a big leap next year, but it feels very much like he'll be the odd man out again.
    Yeh, it will be hard for Joey to get major minutes with the players we have now. However he did work hard to improve his defense and I think there was improvement. But he will never be able to defend a PG or SG and probably the same for a SF. But if he does in fact return and can begin the season shooting lights out from 3, he should get 10-12 mpg. Someone is probably going to have to replace Hurt's 3 point shooting. It won't be DJ and I'm pessimistic about Wendell, Moore and Coleman. Getting Keels would help but I'm not holding my breath that he'll be in a Duke uniform next season.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    For sure. And he could also not improve, which would put him towards the end of the bench.

I hope Coach K doesn't put his eggs in the Baker basket and looks to other avenues (the transfer portal seems like a wonderful place!)

I love the Boogie Ellis idea, but I get the feeling he's looking for a starting role and not sure Coach K will guarantee that.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I love the Boogie Ellis idea, but I get the feeling he's looking for a starting role and not sure Coach K will guarantee that.
    I'm certain Coach K won't. He wouldn't guarantee a starting spot for Johnny Dawkins.

For sure. And he could also not improve, which would put him towards the end of the bench.

I hope Coach K doesn't put his eggs in the Baker basket and looks to other avenues (the transfer portal seems like a wonderful place!)

Honestly, I'm not sure Ellis would make a huge impact at Duke. He was a good 3pt shooter (38.6%) last year, but brought very little else to the table and wasn't a starter for Memphis. Yes, Memphis was comparable in quality to Duke this past year, but I expect next year's Duke team to be much better than this.

He wouldn't address the ballhandling need or the "defends quicker guards need".

I wouldn't say "no" if Duke added him, but I wouldn't be wildly enthusiastic about it either.

If we get Keels, I'll agree that Goldwire was nearly the perfect guy for what we would want/need. Hopefully we can find someone with similar attributes.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    I wonder if Goldwire knew about Steward’s decision. If we get Keels, I’m not sure we could find a better fit for our needs in the transfer portal than JG. Ballhandling, defense, leadership. I hope he reconsiders. This team will have championship potential.
    Agree. With Grady going to UK, hard to see a better incoming transfer option for what we need than retaining Goldwire. Too bad about the timing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    Agree. With Grady going to UK, hard to see a better incoming transfer option for what we need than retaining Goldwire. Too bad about the timing.
    I think Goldwire probably wanted the chance to start and star in in his last go at college ball. So I doubt Steward's decision would have made a difference. And Goldwire probably knew anyway.

In other recruiting news, it seems that Charles Bediako is ready to decide. His previously announced final five are Duke, Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, and Alabama. I think everyone expects him to pick Alabama. Mark Williams' emergence makes it tough for Duke in this one.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Honestly, I'm not sure Ellis would make a huge impact at Duke. He was a good 3pt shooter (38.6%) last year, but brought very little else to the table and wasn't a starter for Memphis. Yes, Memphis was comparable in quality to Duke this past year, but I expect next year's Duke team to be much better than this.

He wouldn't address the ballhandling need or the "defends quicker guards need".

I wouldn't say "no" if Duke added him, but I wouldn't be wildly enthusiastic about it either.

If we get Keels, I'll agree that Goldwire was nearly the perfect guy for what we would want/need. Hopefully we can find someone with similar attributes.
    Right now, we know for sure we have 1 player who can play the 1 or the 2. We say Adrian Griffin can, but he's 6-7 (with reports saying he's more 6-8 and he's listed as a SF on most sites) and will likely have issues guarding the 1 or the 2. And we all know Coach K loves playing small. The only player I can think of who has a similar profile to Griffin and played the 2 was RJ Barrett, but this made sense because you had to play Barrett, Zion, and Cam lots of minutes together.

If Keels joins, great! But I highly suspect he's going to have issues guarding the 1 or 2 as well. He's not particularly quick and a solid 6-5, 210. Boogie would add to highly needed depth, especially to guard the 1/2

And I agree with Goldwire; he would be a great "addition" to this team.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Right now, we know for sure we have 1 player who can play the 1 or the 2. We say Adrian Griffin can, but he's 6-7 (with reports saying he's more 6-8 and he's listed as a SF on most sites) and will likely have issues guarding the 1 or the 2. And we all know Coach K loves playing small. The only player I can think of who has a similar profile to Griffin and played the 2 was RJ Barrett, but this made sense because you had to play Barrett, Zion, and Cam lots of minutes together.
    I doubt Griffin will play much (or at all?) at SG next year. I'd expect Moore/Roach and either Keels or another transfer (or both) to play the PG and SG spots. Assuming of course that Moore and Roach return.

If Keels joins, great! But I highly suspect he's going to have issues guarding the 1 or 2 as well. He's not particularly quick and a solid 6-5, 210. Boogie would add to highly needed depth, especially to guard the 1/2
    Ellis would add depth, but I don't think he adds quality. Especially not in terms of defense against 1s and 2s.

And I agree with Goldwire; he would be a great "addition" to this team.
    Agreed (obviously). Hopefully we can find someone to fill that role. I just don't really think Ellis is that guy.

Now, if we don't get Keels, then Ellis and his 3pt shooting become more relevant. But if we get Keels, then I think the guy we need is a guy who has shown he can guard well on the perimeter.