Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    What happens if the coach is out of timeouts so has none to lose?
    I don’t know, but my read is that the timeout would be charged. So assess a tech?

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    So here's a tough question: who do you root for in the big Tennessee-UK game tomorrow? I'm honestly torn. A couple Tennessee losses down the stretch would go a long way towards us securing the No. 1 overall seed in the tourney. However, a couple more Kentucky losses would all but eliminate them from No. 1 seed contention, making our overall claim to a No. 1 seed stronger in case we falter a touch down the stretch... plus, I think a UK loss helps Michigan more (as my Wolverine's will need to jump Kentucky to have a shot at a No. 1 seed, or at least get the top 2 seed).

Then there's the non-logical side of things, which says screw UK always... plus I sort of like how Tennessee plays ball.

What're people thinking?
    Kentucky.

Whatever leftover animus I had toward the Cats was purged from my heart by the righteous joy that filled it when I witnessed Zion, RJ, Cam and crew deliver that biblical beatdown.

I want Duke to be #1. And I want Duke to earn a number 1 seed. So I’m hoping Duke takes care of business and Tennessee loses this one.

I can't be rooting for UK. Sorry. In fact, I hope they lose when their game-winning putback as time expires is waved off due to basket interference.

Yeah I want Duke at #1. Aside from bragging rights, and TN being our strongest competition for the overall #1, I also think the Selection Committee pays attention to how many weeks a ream was ranked #1 during the season. If we were ranked #1 for, say, 10 weeks then we are more likely to get the overall #1 than if we were only ranked #1 for 8 weeks. Makes no sense but that’s how they think.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Kentucky.

Whatever leftover animus I had toward the Cats was purged from my heart by the righteous joy that filled it when I witnessed Zion, RJ, Cam and crew deliver that biblical beatdown.

I want Duke to be #1. And I want Duke to earn a number 1 seed. So I’m hoping Duke takes care of business and Tennessee loses this one.
    Agreed.

The fact is, Duke and Kentucky were forever linked together by the 92 game...and that's a great memory for us. (missing right many FTs when we had a chance to put the game away in the 98 regional final was kinda painful, but we did that to ourselves). And certainly this year's game was a balm that soothes whatever might have lingered. So I don't invest any energy into hating Kentucky, even as they still invest hatred into Duke and Laettner, even all these years later. That's their problem.

They can help perhaps solve a problem for us (being over all number one) by beating Tennessee. I say let'em go do it. (and I think they will).

Then of course, our guys have to take care of business too.

I think 3 key games left in SEC is Tenn VS UK two rounds, and Tenn @ LSU. I will be fine if home teams won all 3 games. That is the best case for us.

If UK can beat Tenn in a certain margin, I will be more confident that Duke can beat them, since we are kinda upgrade to UK in most position and UK will show the roadmap to beat them. And I think after SEC cost UK in last LSU game, they will be more hesitating each whistle against UK...

When you win, as in Duke's case, you are looking in the rearview mirror ! Who cares what's behind you. As Al Davis infamously said - Just Win Baby !

I certainly won’t be rooting for Kentucky, but I will be rooting for a Tennessee loss. What a conundrum.

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    I certainly won’t be rooting for Kentucky, but I will be rooting for a Tennessee loss. What a conundrum.
    I think we might be a bit early to worry too much about Tennessee getting the number one overall seed. I would hope for Tennessee (as I always enjoy when Cal and UK lose) and watch as Tennessee stumbles in the next few weeks. Realistically, there’s a reasonable chance Duke stumbles also and someone else contends for #1 overall.

Quote Originally Posted by shjiang View Post
    And I think after SEC cost UK in last LSU game, they will be more hesitating each whistle against UK...
    I wonder about that too. I also think the Selection Committee will discount that loss (ignoring of course the fact that had the correct call been made, they would have gone to overtime. It was not a guaranteed UK win). But we have that massacre over UK on our resume, so we’ll look better against them than against TN if those are the choices. There are still plenty of voters who think TN is better than us right now, even though they haven’t played a ranked team in ages.

Interesting split decision here.

Personally, I will root against Kentucky. Sure, you can argue that in the long run, a Kentucky win might prove better for Duke's NCAA profile, but this team stands on its own. If our team does what it can and should, we won't require "help" from teams like Kentucky. It this were the last week of the season or the conference tournament I ought feel differently. But midway through February it would take a heckuva lot more to get me to root for Kentucky over Tennessee.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Interesting split decision here.

Personally, I will root against Kentucky. Sure, you can argue that in the long run, a Kentucky win might prove better for Duke's NCAA profile, but this team stands on its own. If our team does what it can and should, we won't require "help" from teams like Kentucky. It this were the last week of the season or the conference tournament I ought feel differently. But midway through February it would take a heckuva lot more to get me to root for Kentucky over Tennessee.
    We basically own Kentucky now. Duke is in their heads. They are NOT in my head. I don't care enough about Kentucky to hate them.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    missing right many FTs when we had a chance to put the game away in the 98 regional final was kinda painful, but we did that to ourselves
    You may be forgetting that weeks prior to the game, Kentucky's point guard Wayne Turner was involved in a hit and run. The judge postponed his hearing until after the tournament because he was a big UK basketball fan. When asked about the case, he responded something to the effect of "oh yeah, I love Turner. He can shoot, he can pass..." That incident was the root of my hatred for Kentucky.

Within the game itself, Jamaal McGloire basically bent Wojo in half, not only did he not get ejected but he didn't even receive a T. I also recall a phantom offensive foul called on Roshown McLeod while dribbling at the top of the key. That loss really stung, we had a really good team and couldn't hold on to a huge lead.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    You may be forgetting that weeks prior to the game, Kentucky's point guard Wayne Turner was involved in a hit and run. The judge postponed his hearing until after the tournament because he was a big UK basketball fan. When asked about the case, he responded something to the effect of "oh yeah, I love Turner. He can shoot, he can pass..." That incident was the root of my hatred for Kentucky.

Within the game itself, Jamaal McGloire basically bent Wojo in half, not only did he not get ejected but he didn't even receive a T. I also recall a phantom offensive foul called on Roshown McLeod while dribbling at the top of the key. That loss really stung, we had a really good team and couldn't hold on to a huge lead.
    I did not remember that Turner issue, nor the McGloire incident. I remember my angst. We were up like 17, but should've been up 25-30 thanks to clanking foul shots. UK would have never rallied from that far down. We kept them in the game. I walked away disgusted, and worried, while we were still ahead.

IIRC, that was in Tampa, the same site as the FF debacle the next season. Twice, best team in the nation (especially 99) loses in Tampa. Give me the "apolises" any day.

It’s difficult to suggest the 98 team was the best in the nation when UNC was so much better head to head. Other than those games, Duke probably was the best that season...

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    It’s difficult to suggest the 98 team was the best in the nation when UNC was so much better head to head. Other than those games, Duke probably was the best that season...
    Well 98 wasn't as good as 99 for sure...but some Kentucky players suggested Duke was the best team (other than UK) after they had won it all. So given that Duke should've beaten UK in the South Final, yet UK won it all, it's not out of the question to suggest Duke as the best team. I think they're at least in the conversation.

They did not match up well with the Cheats, but otherwise were more dominant against the rest of the universe than the Cheats were. Head to head is but one indication of overall superiority.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I did not remember that Turner issue, nor the McGloire incident. I remember my angst. We were up like 17, but should've been up 25-30 thanks to clanking foul shots. UK would have never rallied from that far down. We kept them in the game. I walked away disgusted, and worried, while we were still ahead.

IIRC, that was in Tampa, the same site as the FF debacle the next season. Twice, best team in the nation (especially 99) loses in Tampa. Give me the "apolises" any day.
    My memories of that game - Turner dominated Wojo in the 2nd half and I thought we needed more Avery. But Kentucky was on a role, so probably wouldn’t have mattered. Lost opportunity for another Final 4.

And the terps lose to yet another hated "rival."
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Wake Forest is really bad...Cheats are playing well
    Afraid for Danny Manning’s job

Quote Originally Posted by tteettimes View Post
    Wake Forest is really bad...Cheats are playing well
    Afraid for Danny Manning’s job
    Question is, how has Manning lasted this long? Cost of buyout?