Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2021-22 Offseason Thread

An interesting tweet from Paolo Banchero seems to suggest that he'll be on campus June 7th. Last year, I believe the players arrived on campus sometime around the first week of August. That suggests we'll have a more "normal" Offseason this year. Thank goodness.

This thread can be a place to collect updates from campus, scrimmages, and such.

That is great news. The team this year really suffered from things that a typical Duke team didn't have to face:
    1. The complete absence of summer team building (which is one of the program's strengths and a way Duke has generally been ahead of the game to start the season)
    2. The limited Fall work and no preseason/exhibition games (where we might have discovered some of the team's limitations at no cost)
    3. The loss of 3 patsies, which would have boosted our win total (I suspect that the win total is what ultimately knocked us out, as Syracuse got in despite having a less impressive resume other than raw W/L) and also given us more reps to build the team before conference play
    4. The yo-yo effect of having their most talented player being in and out of action repeatedly throughout, which meant we were still redefining the team in the middle of conference play

Yes, other schools faced some of these same challenges, but the lack of continuity and preparation is more likely to hurt an inexperienced team than a veteran team. If we had had a normal offseason this past year, I think we'd have been comfortably a top-25 team. Heck, we were probably not far off of that as is; had we gone 5-5 in close games instead of 3-7, we probably are on the fringe of the top-25 instead of being on the wrong end of the bubble.

So I'm really glad to hear that the team plans to have a summer program. With the talent coming in and the players we appear to be returning, that could make for a really big improvement in our season next year.

The Citadel @ CIS 11/22

Jon Rothstein is reporting that Duke will host The Citadel on Monday, November 22nd.

As far as the schedule is concerned, we know or can assume the following:

11/9 vs. Kentucky (Champions Classic, New York City)
    11/22 vs. The Citadel
    11/26 vs. Gonzaga (Las Vegas, NV)
    TBD @ Michigan State (payback for them playing at CIS in 2020, presumably not part of the ACC-B1G Challenge)
    TBD @ B1G Team (Michigan, Ohio State, or Purdue are my guesses)

If I had to guess, we might see Howard as part of the Mako Medical Duke Invitational. Hopefully, Duke plays at Howard this year. That would be neat.

My first five wishes for the offseason are for Roach to work really, really hard on his game.

I've heard that this coming seasons Duke team has incredible reach across the board with Mark Williams at 7'5" and Theo John at 7'4". I know Moore and Blakes are long and suspect Banchero has reach. it should help the team defensively and particularly if we play zone. Does anyone have the figures for all our players?

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I've heard that this coming seasons Duke team has incredible reach across the board with Mark Williams at 7'5" and Theo John at 7'4". I know Moore and Blakes are long and suspect Banchero has reach. it should help the team defensively and particularly if we play zone. Does anyone have the figures for all our players?
    From Internet research:

Mark Williams: 7'4"
    Theo John: 7'4"
    Paolo Banchero: 7'0.5"
    AJ Griffin: 7'0"
    Wendell Moore: 6'11"
    Joey Baker: 6'9"
    Jaylen Blakes: 6'8"
    Trevor Keels: 6'5"
    Jeremy Roach: 6'3"
    Bates Jones: unknown

(may or may not be relevant: Patrick Baldwin: 7'0")

Jeremy Roach really has a 6'3" wingspan? That seems super short to me.

Quote Originally Posted by GGLC View Post
    Like I said, I just got it off a google search. But 6'3" is two inches more than his listed height, which I think is pretty normal (I was always told that for an average human male, height and wingspan are approximately equal).

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Like I said, I just got it off a google search. But 6'3" is two inches more than his listed height, which I think is pretty normal (I was always told that for an average human male, height and wingspan are approximately equal).
    Yep, Roach’s wingspan isn’t short. It is just that some of those guys have absurdly long wingspans relative to their height. John, Moore, Williams, and Griffin taking the cake. But Roach appears to have a longer wingspan relative to height than Keels.

From Internet research:

Mark Williams: 7'4"
    Theo John: 7'4"
    Paolo Banchero: 7'0.5"
    AJ Griffin: 7'0"
    Wendell Moore: 6'11"
    Joey Baker: 6'9"
    Jaylen Blakes: 6'8"
    Trevor Keels: 6'5"
    Jeremy Roach: 6'3"
    Bates Jones: unknown

(may or may not be relevant: Patrick Baldwin: 7'0")
    Thanks. I thought they had incredible reach. That should be fun to watch when applied on defense.

I guess I didn't realize how short Roach himself was. It explains some of his defensive limitations.

For reference, UVA’s Ty Jerome, though beloved at UVA was generally considered to have T-Rex arms. Iirc he graded out at 6’5” with a 6’2” or 6’3” wingspan.

I guess I didn't realize how short Roach himself was. It explains some of his defensive limitations.
    If his arms are really short, that is going to greatly impact his NBA draft stock. The NBA knows that long arms are a major part of being a good defender at the next level.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    If his arms are really short, that is going to greatly impact his NBA draft stock. The NBA knows that long arms are a major part of being a good defender at the next level.
    According to this post, since 2000 there have only been 13 players measured at the draft combine with a negative wingspan (a wingspan shorter than height). Nine of them got drafted. Duke players are overrepresented on the list:

About half of the drafted players (JJ, Mason, Olynyk, Kaminsky, and to a lesser extent Mykhailiuk) have had productive NBA careers. Heck, Hall of Famer Yao Ming had a negative wingspan.

Interestingly, most of the players listed are big men; JJ at 6'4" and Scheyer at 6'5" are the shortest players listed.

Roach does not have a negative wingspan-- he's 6'1" with a 6'3" wingspan. But just some food for that about how much the NBA talent evaluators value wingspan (as Jay Bilas is apt to point out every draft).

If the criterion for being drafted is wing span the NBA would draft...

The “Wandering Albatross” has been declared as the bird with largest wingspan among all the living birds. Its wingspan on average ranges from 8.2 to 11.5 feet (2.51 to 3.50 meter). Larger wingspans of about 13.8 and 17 feet have been reported but they were not verified.

but no one wants one of those around their neck.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Jon Rothstein is reporting that Duke will host The Citadel on Monday, November 22nd.

As far as the schedule is concerned, we know or can assume the following:

11/9 vs. Kentucky (Champions Classic, New York City)
    11/12-13 Duke Tournament vs. Army/Campbell/Hartford
    11/22 vs. The Citadel
    11/26 vs. Gonzaga (Las Vegas, NV)
    TBD @ Michigan State (payback for them playing at CIS in 2020, presumably not part of the ACC-B1G Challenge)
    TBD @ B1G Team (Michigan, Ohio State, or Purdue are my guesses)

If I had to guess, we might see Howard as part of the Mako Medical Duke Invitational. Hopefully, Duke plays at Howard this year. That would be neat.
    A poster on another board noticed a scheduling update in an unlikely place. Duke Athletics recently launched a new magazine. Page 6 includes a look at the schedule for the men's team. They have listed a Duke-hosted tournament November 12-13 featuring Army, Campbell, and Hartford (source: https://indd.adobe.com/view/217ba3ea...f-5e47e7902d22)

You can also see the ACC schedule of 20 games, including home and away matchups:

Away Only: Boston College, Louisville, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh
    Home Only: Georgia Tech, Miami, NC State, Virginia Tech
    Home & Away: Clemson, Florida State, Syracuse, UNC, Virginia, Wake Forest

The Away Only games are relatively mild, with the exception of Louisville. Notre Dame could impress. I expect BC will be a cakewalk while Pitt is a probably going to be down, especially if Julian Champagnie stays in the NBA draft.

The Home Only games should be mild as well, with Miami being the weakest of the group. Georgia Tech loses Moses Wright and maybe more. Getting VT at home is a break as they should be a very good team ranked in the teens or twenties throughout the season. NC is always a bit of a wildcard.

The Home & Away slate is a mixed bag. Clemson and Wake Forest should be mild challenges while Syracuse, Virginia, and UNC will present their own challenges. Florida State might end up the best of the group, although the top-end talent they had the past two seasons will be gone. Losing RaiQuan Gray could be an underrated loss for them. He did a lot for them the past couple of seasons, including handling point forward duties. Then again, Hamilton has been good at getting a lot out of his deep rotations.

It won't be a cakewalk, especially with the non-conference slate of games and potentially two road games against B1G teams.

Well

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    An interesting tweet from Paolo Banchero seems to suggest that he'll be on campus June 7th. Last year, I believe the players arrived on campus sometime around the first week of August. That suggests we'll have a more "normal" Offseason this year. Thank goodness.

This thread can be a place to collect updates from campus, scrimmages, and such.
    Can Nick Horvath travel from NZ to Durham to teach our young bigs in summer pickup games?

Quote Originally Posted by ElliottHoo View Post
    For reference, UVA’s Ty Jerome, though beloved at UVA was generally considered to have T-Rex arms. Iirc he graded out at 6’5” with a 6’2” or 6’3” wingspan.
    7'1 Marshall Plumlee has a 6'9 wingspan, the ultimate in T-Rex arms
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    You can just get arm extensions. They're all the rage.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilYouKnow View Post
    You can just get arm extensions. They're all the rage.
    The magic of high tech orthopedic surgery and 3-D printers.