Page 58 of 139 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 2763
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Head is on the rim when he swats that.

Stewart may not be the tallest and longest player out there, but he has the bounce and timing to be a legitimate force inside. I am getting Brandon Clarke vibes, the former Gonzaga/current Memphis Grizzlies player.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

New offer

Looks like Jon is targeting another longer term big, border line 3/4* JP Estrella: https://twitter.com/middlesexmagic/s...hlEARUJiE0PoXA
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

JP Estrella

Another twitter thread. Adam Rowe.
    https://twitter.com/AdamRoweTDD

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    It's finding them a path to a clear starting spot and a chance to shine, which isn't likely to happen at Duke. Sometimes, guys are content with that (DeLaurier, Baker, Hairston, etc.). Sometimes, guys aren't content with that (Coleman, Brakefield, Ojeleye, Czyz, etc.). And even sometimes the guys who are fine with it at first decide to go elsewhere eventually (Baker, O'Connell, Murphy).
    It's a bit of a nitpick, but I wouldn't include Joey Baker on this list. He was here for a long time and he got his degree. Heck, he was even a team captain. I think lumping him in with people who "aren't content" at Duke doesn't give him enough credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    It's a bit of a nitpick, but I wouldn't include Joey Baker on this list. He was here for a long time and he got his degree. Heck, he was even a team captain. I think lumping him in with people who "aren't content" at Duke doesn't give him enough credit.
    To be clear, I didn’t say Baker was not content. Just that he eventually decided to go elsewhere. He just did so after 4 years whereas O’Connell did after 3 and Murphy after 2.5. I don’t think any of those three were not content at Duke; they just realized their opportunity to shine wasn’t going to happen at Duke and chose to use their last year (in Murphy’s case 2 years; O’Connell lucked into a second year due to COVID) elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    To be clear, I didn’t say Baker was not content. Just that he eventually decided to go elsewhere. He just did so after 4 years whereas O’Connell did after 3 and Murphy after 2.5. I don’t think any of those three were not content at Duke; they just realized their opportunity to shine wasn’t going to happen at Duke and chose to use their last year (in Murphy’s case 2 years; O’Connell lucked into a second year due to COVID) elsewhere.
    I don't know how else to interpret the implication from "sometimes the guys who are fine with it at first decide to go elsewhere" than they aren't "fine" with it at the moment they left. Not being "fine" with something heavily implies a lack of contentment, and you used the exact word "content" one sentence earlier in a contrasting parallel construction. So, yes, you absolutely DID say that Joey wasn't content. Maybe that's not what you meant, but it IS what you said. Arguing otherwise is just silly.

But whatever. You notably didn't include Goldwire in this group, and rightly so. Grad transfers just shouldn't be in this equation, IMO, and that includes Joey Baker. YMMV.

Good rejoinder.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Looks like Jon is targeting another longer term big, border line 3/4* JP Estrella: https://twitter.com/middlesexmagic/s...hlEARUJiE0PoXA
    JP plays up at Brewster Academy in NH (a basketball factory coached by the legendary Jason Smith). Once Duke prospects Taylor Bowen and Matas Buzelis also play here.

I don't know how else to interpret the implication from "sometimes the guys who are fine with it at first decide to go elsewhere" than they aren't "fine" with it at the moment they left. Not being "fine" with something heavily implies a lack of contentment, and you used the exact word "content" one sentence earlier in a contrasting parallel construction. So, yes, you absolutely DID say that Joey wasn't content. Maybe that's not what you meant, but it IS what you said. Arguing otherwise is just silly.
    I took your connotation of your use of the word "content" to be more sinister (like a malcontent) than I was intending, hence my response. But yes, I would say that Baker transferred because he was no longer fine with being a lightly-used backup and seeing no prospects for that changing at Duke. Just like O'Connell transferred because he was no longer fine with being a backup despite doing it for 3 years and seeing no prospects for that changing at Duke. Just like Murphy transferred because he was no longer fine with being a backup for 2.5 years and seeing no prospects for that changing at Duke.

All 3 guys, by all accounts, loved their time at Duke. But eventually they realized that their opportunities to play major minutes were dwindling, so they left. None of them left with animosity towards Duke. They just left to find better opportunities for themselves to play bigger roles. Murphy chose poorly in going to UF, where he found himself in only a slightly better situation. But he eventually found it at Northeastern. O'Connell found it at Creighton. Hopefully Baker will find it as his next destination.

But yes, I view all three players' decisions as being very similar, with the only real difference being how long they waited to make it. All 3 loved Duke, but all 3 chose to finish their careers somewhere where they could play more and bigger roles than they were going to be able to play at Duke.

But whatever. You notably didn't include Goldwire in this group, and rightly so. Grad transfers just shouldn't be in this equation, IMO, and that includes Joey Baker. YMMV.
    I didn't include Goldwire because he had already logged 2 years as a starter and/or 20+ mpg player when he decided to go. So I didn't feel like he fit with the others. Perhaps he could fit in the situation as well in that his minutes might have been crimped this year with the arrival of Keels had he stayed. But his situation felt different than the other three, and not because of his graduation.
    Last edited by CDu; 06-08-2022 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    JP plays up at Brewster Academy in NH (a basketball factory coached by the legendary Jason Smith). Once Duke prospects Taylor Bowen and Matas Buzelis also play here.
    JP Estrella has outstanding form on his jumper. I’d love to know his FT and 3 point shooting %s. Not sure how athletic he is but it seems like he’s got the length and stroke to be a 40%-from-3 stretch 4 in the mold of a Matthew Hurt.

U18 Americas Championship

Team USA's U18 squad played their fist game yesterday in the Americas championship. They faced Ecuador and squeaked out a 123-41 victory. Yup, you read that score correctly, the USA won by 82 points. The score was 55-17 at halftime.

Class of 2023 Duke recruit Jared McCain was one of the stars of the game. He scored 22 points in just over 21 minutes of action. He was only 2-8 on threes but hit 6-7 from 2 point land. Jared also had 3 steals and 3 assists (considering they had 123 points, the US team only had 32 assists). Jared produced an eye-popping plus/minus of +63.

Also worth noting that Carolina's GG Jackson had 20 points on 8-10 shooting as well as a team leading 12 rebounds. Carolina's Seth Trible, who will head over to Chapel Hill the moment things are done at this tournament had several high-flying moments that are lighting up twitter but only scored 8 points.

Game 2, against Puerto Rico (1-0 after beating Dominican Republic by 4 yesterday) is in just a few hours. Will be interesting to see what happens if it is a closer contest. Against Ecuador, every single player on the USA roster played between 17 and 21 minutes.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Team USA's U18 squad played their fist game yesterday in the Americas championship. They faced Ecuador and squeaked out a 123-41 victory. Yup, you read that score correctly, the USA won by 82 points. The score was 55-17 at halftime.

Class of 2023 Duke recruit Jared McCain was one of the stars of the game. He scored 22 points in just over 21 minutes of action. He was only 2-8 on threes but hit 6-7 from 2 point land. Jared also had 3 steals and 3 assists (considering they had 123 points, the US team only had 32 assists). Jared produced an eye-popping plus/minus of +63.

Also worth noting that Carolina's GG Jackson had 20 points on 8-10 shooting as well as a team leading 12 rebounds. Carolina's Seth Trible, who will head over to Chapel Hill the moment things are done at this tournament had several high-flying moments that are lighting up twitter but only scored 8 points.

Game 2, against Puerto Rico (1-0 after beating Dominican Republic by 4 yesterday) is in just a few hours. Will be interesting to see what happens if it is a closer contest. Against Ecuador, every single player on the USA roster played between 17 and 21 minutes.
    The games are streaming at https://www.youtube.com/c/FIBA
    And the schedule is at https://www.usab.com/mens/u18/schedule.aspx
    USA vs. Puerto Rico starts in a few minutes. Spanish language broadcast from Tijuana.

USA beat Puerto Rico 100-55

https://www.fiba.basketball/americas...o#tab=boxscore

Nice article on Jared McCain from USA basketball site

https://www.usab.com/news-events/new...n-feature.aspx

Men’s U18 Point Guard Jared McCain is a Rising Star on the Court — and on TikTok

McCain with 17 points as the USA advances to the Semifinals with a 92-64 win over host Mexico.

The coaches must like his versatility as McCain played the most minutes on his team.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    McCain with 17 points as the USA advances to the Semifinals with a 92-64 win over host Mexico.

The coaches must like his versatility as McCain played the most minutes on his team.
    Anyone know why GG Jackson has not played the last few games?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Maybe the cheats are already working on driving down his draft status?

Taking some early classes at unc?

Starting to get interest from NBA scouts, had to be shut down to ensure multiple years at Chapel Hill.

Swahili Appreciation Week. Respect.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Swahili Appreciation Week. Respect.
    That’s the winning answer.