Page 69 of 73 FirstFirst ... 19596768697071 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 1459
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Yeah, but it is worth noting that he comes from a fabulously wealthy family, was educated at some of the most elitist schools in the world, his entire pre-politician career consisted of running massive hedge funds, and he married into one of the few families in the world that could make his own fabulously wealthy family look like paupers.

If you wanted someone who could relate to the very real pain being felt by everyday Brits who are struggling with terrible increases in the cost of living, you probably could not have picked a worse candidate than someone who has spent his entire life being waited upon hand-and-foot by a staff of servants.

-Jason "but, yay, he's brown!" Evans
    He’s the son of a pharmacist and a NHS doctor. They made a good living but were not “fabulously” wealth. No one that works for the NHS has servants waiting hand and foot. I also know a thing or two about families that moved from Kenya to the UK. It’s not easy. His grandmother had to sell her wedding jewelry to bring the family there. Yes, he made millions after college but he didn’t come from that kind of money. Yes he did marry into an uber-wealthy family. Is he out of touch with the common man? Probably, but no more than other pols.

The Founding Fathers were rich, landed white men. With few expectations, the executive branch still favors that demo. People may not realize it but the British Parliament is probably the most diverse elected body in the world. The US and then Canada would be distant 2 and 3. You have to start somewhere and Sunak is.

Personally, I’d like to see all these Brexiter go down in flames but that’s not in my best interest. If he’s true to form that means pragmatism will prevail. So I wish his good luck and god speed.
    Last edited by Kdogg; 10-24-2022 at 03:25 PM.

Yeah, but it is worth noting that he comes from a fabulously wealthy family, was educated at some of the most elitist schools in the world, his entire pre-politician career consisted of running massive hedge funds, and he married into one of the few families in the world that could make his own fabulously wealthy family look like paupers.

If you wanted someone who could relate to the very real pain being felt by everyday Brits who are struggling with terrible increases in the cost of living, you probably could not have picked a worse candidate than someone who has spent his entire life being waited upon hand-and-foot by a staff of servants.

Well, "wealthy family." According to Wikipedia, he met his future wife when studying for an MBA at Stanford. Akshata Murty provides the "fabulously." She is the daughter of the founder of Infosys, the huge Indian IT services company.

All true, but he can't overcome the stigma among many of the swells that he is, well, from Over There. Britain and the whole Sub Continent thing is very very complicated, and good schools and a posh accent do not change everything.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Well, "wealthy family." According to Wikipedia, he met his future wife when studying for an MBA at Stanford. Akshata Murty provides the "fabulously." She is the daughter of the founder of Infosys, the huge Indian IT services company.
    Why can't I find a girl like that?

I find it interesting that the Brits chose a woman leader long before we did (and counting), but we chose a "brown" leader over a decade before they did.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Y’know, I wish that I had Jesse’s girl.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Y’know, I wish that I had Jesse’s girl.
    And there's nothing wrong with the look that's in her eyes,
    Had to learn the hard way to let her pass by, let her pass by.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    And there's nothing wrong with the look that's in her eyes,
    Had to learn the hard way to let her pass by, let her pass by.
    Ain’t that the way love’s supposed to be?

If the everyday Brits wanted someone who could relate to their situation, then they would not still be playing King & Queen.

Ain’t that the way love’s supposed to be?
    But I can't deny that times have gone by,
    When I never had doubts or thoughts of regret.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    But I can't deny that times have gone by,
    When I never had doubts or thoughts of regret.
    Can you really regret something if you haven’t gretted it a first time?

Can you really regret something if you haven’t gretted it a first time?
    It could be an illusion, but I might as well try, might as well try.

I find it interesting that the Brits chose a woman leader long before we did (and counting), but we chose a "brown" leader over a decade before they did.
    England and other European countries have had female monarchs for centuries so a modern woman leader it's a far reach. Same with India and Pakistan. Even though Sunak's rise is historic, it's not going to be an Obama type event. It also means it will avoid the counter reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    England and other European countries have had female monarchs for centuries so a modern woman leader it's a far reach. Same with India and Pakistan. Even though Sunak's rise is historic, it's not going to be an Obama type event. It also means it will avoid the counter reaction.
    Very good point, I hadn't thought of that. But then I don't live over there like you do.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Very good point, I hadn't thought of that. But then I don't live over there like you do.
    Oh no, I'm in coastal SC. The Carolinas are my home. The bulk of my family still lives there so my ties are strong. Plus I do love London.

Sunak's cabinet is set. It's got a little bit for every Tory fraction but looks to keep stability. Looks like a few appointments are to keep some backbenchers from causing trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Oh no, I'm in coastal SC. The Carolinas are my home. The bulk of my family still lives there so my ties are strong. Plus I do love London.

Sunak's cabinet is set. It's got a little bit for every Tory fraction but looks to keep stability. Looks like a few appointments are to keep some backbenchers from causing trouble.
    I'm sorry, I don't mean to be the grammar police, but the highlighted text says that the "bulk of your family" lives in the Carolinas along with you. Somehow, I don't think that is what you mean. It really doesn't take much in proofreading time to confirm that we mean what we are saying. If I am alone in saying this, so be it, but in a discussion about ideas, the ability to clearly express these ideas seems like it should be a priority.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Section 15 View Post
    I'm sorry, I don't mean to be the grammar police, but the highlighted text says that the "bulk of your family" lives in the Carolinas along with you. Somehow, I don't think that is what you mean. It really doesn't take much in proofreading time to confirm that we mean what we are saying. If I am alone in saying this, so be it, but in a discussion about ideas, the ability to clearly express these ideas seems like it should be a priority.

YMMV
    I apologize. Sometimes when I reply to something directed at me, my response can be in a conversational form. The "there" in that context would be understood but I can see without that, it's messy. Also my spelling and grammar can be atrocious especially on mobile. Proofreading only goes so far because I have the tendency to see what I think verse what I actually type. I do appreciate the tolerances the forum and its members provide to me.

Back on topic:

Ireland's deputy prime minister Leo Varadkar said he was encouraged by the pragmatism and lack of "magical thinking" demonstrated in recent years by new British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak.
    Last edited by Kdogg; 10-25-2022 at 09:19 PM.

"Bulk?" I dunno. There are a lot of big people in my native state of SC.

You don't say!

Brexit-backing Next boss says UK needs more overseas workers

"Lord Wolfson, who was a prominent advocate of Brexit, said the UK's current immigration policy was crippling economic growth."

In scarier news: This was from a week and a half ago. I didn't get around to posting it. I'm concerned because this is how it starts.

Northern Ireland loyalists ‘planned terrorist attack over Brexit trading arrangements’

"Northern Irish loyalists called off a planned terrorist attack in the Republic of Ireland at the last minute amid heightened tensions over post-Brexit trading arrangements. Paramilitary groups were just hours away from carrying out the plot on an Irish government target before they were stood down by their commanders, it was reported on Monday. The attack was cancelled after the UK ruled out Northern Ireland being jointly administered by London and Dublin if Stormont could not be restored. The DUP has refused to return to power-sharing until the Northern Ireland Protocol, which created the Irish Sea border, is removed or replaced. Rather than return to direct rule from Westminster, Sinn Fein has called for “joint authority” and for the Irish government to have more involvement in Northern Irish affairs. That infuriated loyalist groups, such as the Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF) and Ulster Defence Association (UDA), the Belfast Telegraph reported, as well as mainstream unionists.

The UVF and UDA are reviewing their 1994 ceasefires amid heightened tensions over the Irish Sea border treaty, which is meant to safeguard the Good Friday Agreement."

A good read on the new PM’s more pragmatic approach to the EU, and also citing for using my favorite word (defenestrate):

https://www.politico.eu/article/the-...-about-europe/

Three years on: “Amid Strikes and Scandal, Britain Is Grappling With ‘Bregret’” (WSJ)

https://www.wsj.com/articles/amid-st...hare_permalink