Page 2913 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 1913241328132863290329112912291329142915292329633013 ... LastLast
Results 58,241 to 58,260 of 67392
    January can get [stuffed].

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Thanks. I went with the "There are good people on both sides here" argument.
    you are a well known ref suck up.

So — should I bother reading it or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    You are, I'm sorry to say, completely wrong. This is a textbook Flagrant 1 foul.

I don't see any way this doesn't fall under this provision of the rules, and given that the contact is above the shoulders, it is a borderline flagrant 2. Intent does play an explicit role in assessing a flagrant 2, however, so I would not advocate for that. But a punch is clearly "excessive in nature", and it equally clearly wasn't a "basketball play", so I don't see how it is possible NOT to call a flagrant 1 there. That's a bad enough miss that I honestly do think the league office should be involved. Letting that go sets a terrible precedent.
    OK, I'm wrong. Damn those refs!

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I took the situation as this: The guy was celebrating and inadvertently hit Flip in the throat. The refs did not see the incident, the one ref saw Flip hunched over in pain. They reviewed, found it not flagrant b/c it was not intentional, and they could not suddenly call a regular foul b/c they cannot be called on reviews if they were not called to begin with.

Or am I completely wrong?

Yes, it sucks, but it was not on purpose and it was not seen/called as foul by the ref to begin with, so nothing COULD be called. Kind of like when Tractor Trailer shoved Wojo out of bounds during a dead ball and nothing was called b/c he was so good at doing that when the refs backs were turned.
    I think this is substantively correct. It warranted a foul call, but it was missed. Then the refs were unwilling to call it flagrant vs intentional. DFRI Aimo.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    you are a well known ref suck up.
    Unnecessary. True. But unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I took the situation as this: The guy was celebrating and inadvertently hit Flip in the throat. The refs did not see the incident, the one ref saw Flip hunched over in pain. They reviewed, found it not flagrant b/c it was not intentional, and they could not suddenly call a regular foul b/c they cannot be called on reviews if they were not called to begin with.

Or am I completely wrong?

Yes, it sucks, but it was not on purpose and it was not seen/called as foul by the ref to begin with, so nothing COULD be called. Kind of like when Tractor Trailer shoved Wojo out of bounds during a dead ball and nothing was called b/c he was so good at doing that when the refs backs were turned.
    Yes, you are completely wrong on this one. Intent has nothing to do with it. If, for example, a defender bites at a shot fake by a shooter and then falls completely on top of him, it is most definitely a foul regardless of lack of intent.

Yes, you are completely wrong on this one. Intent has nothing to do with it. If, for example, a defender bites at a shot fake by a shooter and then falls completely on top of him, it is most definitely a foul regardless of lack of intent.
    The refs chose to count this as incidental contact rather than flagrant. It's cool to disagree with them. I would argue her larger point that a common foul call was the easiest remedy is correct. They just missed it.

The refs chose to count this as incidental contact rather than flagrant. It's cool to disagree with them. I would argue her larger point that a common foul call was the easiest remedy is correct. They just missed it.
    yep, common foul it may well be, but definitely a foul. Intent doesn't play into it.

yep, common foul it may well be, but definitely a foul. Intent doesn't play into it.
    I agree at least sort of. But the referee saw this as incidental. They do have wide latitude to do that. It's reasonable to disagree.

In real time my reaction is I had no idea what I would call in that situation.

Incidental to what? It was not a basketball play. He was making no attempt to play offense or defense, so it cannot be incidental contact. He was celebrating, and he happened to catch an opponent square in the throat. It's a defined flagrant 1. It's not even correctly called as a common foul. The refs are required by the rules to assess a flagrant 1. They failed to make the correct call, pure and simple.

Just to be completely clear, it's not the reason that Duke lost the game. Not at all. It was, however, an egregiously bad reffing decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Incidental to what? It was not a basketball play. He was making no attempt to play offense or defense, so it cannot be incidental contact. He was celebrating, and he happened to catch an opponent square in the throat. It's a defined flagrant 1. It's not even correctly called as a common foul. The refs are required by the rules to assess a flagrant 1. They failed to make the correct call, pure and simple.

Just to be completely clear, it's not the reason that Duke lost the game. Not at all. It was, however, an egregiously bad reffing decision.

My original take. I don't mind if you disagree. Perfectly reasonable to. I even disagreed with me. I think it's how the refs interpreted it.

"I've only ever seen one play like that and it seems to me that Singler did something similar to an opposing player once. But that was before the current flagrant versus intentional rules. Because it was inadvertent and after the play then I understand the no call. Since it is such a singular play I would almost approach it like inadvertent contact from a player running his head into the head of a player behind him when the ball switches possession. It can be called a foul because contact clearly occurs that is foul worthy. But I do understand why they didn't call a foul there. This one is such a special case that I can completely understand why you feel differently and I don't think you're wrong. I just understand why it was officiated the way it was. I do think you have to wonder if there were 7 minutes left in the game if a foul is called there. And if it would have been, then it should have been called in this situation as well."

Lots of meetings

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Lots of meetings
    "A committee is a cul-de-sac down which ideas are lured and then quietly strangled."
    Barnett Cocks

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    January can get [stuffed].
    I’d like to fast forward to March.

"A committee is a cul-de-sac down which ideas are lured and then quietly strangled."
    Barnett Cocks
    I love words and how they can be assembled for our amusement.

Also, that’s a banging name!

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I’d like to fast forward to March.
    Oh yes, it will be February's turn to get [stuffed] in due time.

Does everyone have classified information at their house?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Can’t tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I do, but it's MY classified information, no one else's.