Page 2640 of 3388 FirstFirst ... 16402140254025902630263826392640264126422650269027403140 ... LastLast
Results 52,781 to 52,800 of 67744
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I definitely have a ceiling for how much stress and accountability that I want. It’s taken a while to understand that about myself and I’m still working to reconcile that with some level of ambition.

It’s an important conversation to have with yourself.
    Yes, and one I probably didn't have with myself enough lately...

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Yes, and one I probably didn't have with myself enough lately...
    Are you immediately regretting your decision?

It’s a real issue. Really knowing what you want your life to look like. Sometimes what we want personally and professionally compete and we have to balance.

I’m fortunate now to be at a place in life where I’m pretty sure my highest priorities are set and that helps inform just about everything else.

Since we're all talking about jobs/careers etc, I'll chime in on my recent work transition.

From 2009-2020 I was managing partner in a retail business. We had a pretty good growth rate and we were definitely successful business people. My work itself was not terribly challenging, other all the unknowns that running a business can throw at you. Then COVID happened, and I just got burned out.

I successfully navigated us through the initial lockdown and immediate aftermath, but I needed a break. I found an enthusiastic purchaser who gave me a fair sum for my part of the business and went to the beach!

After taking a little over a year off - Mrs.Mtn.Devil and I were seriously considering relocating away from Asheville - I came across a great opportunity with a small non-profit.

I'm coordinating my own program within the organization, which is very satisfying. But I also have the support and direction of my Executive Director and my BOD.

I really mostly don't miss being the "decider," probably especially because my boss is very collaborative. K don't even really miss writing my own schedule. Monday through Friday generally suits me just fine.

The biggest challenge for me is simply learning a new position after doing the same thing for eleven years. Determining what my priorities are, what qualifies as "urgent," etc. I'm already getting more comfortable with this, and feel like I'm starting to transition from "faking it" to "making it," but that process has been way more exhausting than I would have guessed.

Much love and support to other DBR people trying to find their path. I'm happy to talk via PMs if you want. I find vocational path choices to be rather fascinating.

Cheers!

Are you immediately regretting your decision?
    There is always buyer's remorse. Unless something is free or it isn't meaningful in value.

And I'll be honest, the Austin real estate situation is weighing on me. If prices were only modestly higher than they were in 2020 I would be much happier. That they are up 85-100% in 12-18 months makes it nearly unaffordable and a concern.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    The Continuing Adventures of T-Bone (without The Drewsk): Summer 2022, T-Bone travels to North Macedonia to work on an archaeological dig.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Since we're all talking about jobs/careers etc, I'll chime in on my recent work transition.

From 2009-2020 I was managing partner in a retail business. We had a pretty good growth rate and we were definitely successful business people. My work itself was not terribly challenging, other all the unknowns that running a business can throw at you. Then COVID happened, and I just got burned out.

I successfully navigated us through the initial lockdown and immediate aftermath, but I needed a break. I found an enthusiastic purchaser who gave me a fair sum for my part of the business and went to the beach!

After taking a little over a year off - Mrs.Mtn.Devil and I were seriously considering relocating away from Asheville - I came across a great opportunity with a small non-profit.

I'm coordinating my own program within the organization, which is very satisfying. But I also have the support and direction of my Executive Director and my BOD.

I really mostly don't miss being the "decider," probably especially because my boss is very collaborative. K don't even really miss writing my own schedule. Monday through Friday generally suits me just fine.

The biggest challenge for me is simply learning a new position after doing the same thing for eleven years. Determining what my priorities are, what qualifies as "urgent," etc. I'm already getting more comfortable with this, and feel like I'm starting to transition from "faking it" to "making it," but that process has been way more exhausting than I would have guessed.

Much love and support to other DBR people trying to find their path. I'm happy to talk via PMs if you want. I find vocational path choices to be rather fascinating.

Cheers!
    That's a pretty significant career change. You never really get over the 'new position/new skill/new culture' anxiety, no matter how seasoned you are. It really helps to have a support environment and team. I've found over the years that a lot of folks that have been in the same place their entire careers don't really have a good feel for what it's like to be new and behave accordingly.

Where were you thinking about relocating? Would you still be MTN.Devil...?!?!

Where were you thinking about relocating? Would you still be MTN.Devil...?!?!
    Or OINCdevil?

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    The Continuing Adventures of T-Bone (without The Drewsk): Summer 2022, T-Bone travels to North Macedonia to work on an archaeological dig.
    Eeeeek! How cool is that?!?!

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Eeeeek! How cool is that?!?!
    Very cool. Looking at flights to Skopje. All in all, it's not going to be all that expensive to send him on the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Very cool. Looking at flights to Skopje. All in all, it's not going to be all that expensive to send him on the program.
    Love that he can go!

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Or OINCdevil?
    There were several opportunities for me to change my name this year. None of them panned out. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    There were several opportunities for me to change my name this year. None of them panned out. :-/
    Hope you're only alluding to the front end because if you're alluding to the back end, too soon, man, too soon!

if you want to hear from just about everyone you've ever known, have your wife's email hacked, that will do it. Non stop phone and texting dings, time for cocktail hour!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    if you want to hear from just about everyone you've ever known, have your wife's email hacked, that will do it. Non stop phone and texting dings, time for cocktail hour!
    I told bundabergdevil that wouldn't be funny.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I told bundabergdevil that wouldn't be funny.
    (Takes a drag of my cigarette)

You told me a lot of things.

There is always buyer's remorse. Unless something is free or it isn't meaningful in value.

And I'll be honest, the Austin real estate situation is weighing on me. If prices were only modestly higher than they were in 2020 I would be much happier. That they are up 85-100% in 12-18 months makes it nearly unaffordable and a concern.
    And then the rumors of layoffs began to circulate. And suddenly, I felt a lot better...

And then the rumors of layoffs began to circulate. And suddenly, I felt a lot better...
    I’m sure they wouldn’t hire you to fire you.

I’m sure they wouldn’t hire you to fire you.
    At my current employer. I am not/wasn't in any danger, but I'm sure my departure will get added to the cost savings. Similar to what happened at the company I was working at in 2001 when I left for b-school.

Why are clams so happy?

Why are clams so happy?
    They live at the beach. Why wouldn't they be?!?