Page 2603 of 3388 FirstFirst ... 16032103250325532593260126022603260426052613265327033103 ... LastLast
Results 52,041 to 52,060 of 67754
    Monday morning tends to bring a clarity of thought that may not exist on Friday evening or Saturday.

I drove down to Tuscaloosa to see my daughter. Our plan had been to watch together. So we will do that anyway and be Jayhawks fans.

Not going to watch...just can't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I get it. I'm in a weird situation in that literally ALL of my college buddies are Heels. And we have a firm and inviolable no junk talking policy. So I sent them congratulations and they said nice things about K in return after the game. We love each other. It is the non-grads I hate. I was fortunate enough to be around the program and we have a relationship with the K family. I went to UNC. As a buddy of mine said, I have the receipts. But go Jayhawks!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    It is the non-grads I hate.
    This...

This...
    They are the worst. Traveling is so great for me. It limits the violence. It doesn't stop it all together, but it does limit it.

yes, pointless exercise. Rather re-arrange my sock drawer.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yes, pointless exercise. Rather re-arrange my sock drawer.
    Which does beg the question: are you inefficient at sock arrangement or do you have that many socks? Now I'm intrigued.

Which does beg the question: are you inefficient at sock arrangement or do you have that many socks? Now I'm intrigued.
    as I have aged (and I surely have) I have become VERY good at avoiding clutter, and throwing out stuff that is still theoretically good, though I haven't used it in 15 years. Good example, last year I donated about 25 shirts to the local psychiatric unit (patients in crisis rarely show up with a neatly packed suitcase)...all of which were nice and clean on hangers...old shirts from "work" in tip top shape.

The sock drawer is similarly streamlined. However: we are now at the all important changeover time of year, (even though it snowed an inch last night) and it is high time that the Winter socks begin to migrate to the back of the drawer, and the warm weather socks begin their migration towards the front of the drawer. This will be a more fruitful task than watching hoops on TV. Maybe I'll do some Ted Lasso.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Regarding TarHeel fans: whether they went to school there or not, the fans I can't stand are the ones who would rather see Duke lose than Carolina win. Yes, I'm the kind of fan who loves it when Duke wins and Carolina loses, but if my choices are Duke wins and Carolina wins or Duke loses and Carolina loses, then let 'em both win.

The other kind of fan I hate are those that will not, not even begrudingly, give Duke their due. Coach K is the GOAT and if a UNC fan wants to claim that no, Dean Smith is, fine, but if they aren't willing to then say Coach K is number 2, they are delusional beyond the point of being rational and I hate that.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    as I have aged (and I surely have) I have become VERY good at avoiding clutter, and throwing out stuff that is still theoretically good, though I haven't used it in 15 years. Good example, last year I donated about 25 shirts to the local psychiatric unit (patients in crisis rarely show up with a neatly packed suitcase)...all of which were nice and clean on hangers...old shirts from "work" in tip top shape.

The sock drawer is similarly streamlined. However: we are now at the all important changeover time of year, (even though it snowed an inch last night) and it is high time that the Winter socks begin to migrate to the back of the drawer, and the warm weather socks begin their migration towards the front of the drawer. This will be a more fruitful task than watching hoops on TV. Maybe I'll do some Ted Lasso.
    Ted Lasso is gold. I also employ Curb Your Enthusiasm so I can cringe/laugh.

Ted Lasso is gold. I also employ Curb Your Enthusiasm so I can cringe/laugh.
    love that as well, but I've seen them all. I definitely have some Larry David in me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Regarding TarHeel fans: whether they went to school there or not, the fans I can't stand are the ones who would rather see Duke lose than Carolina win. Yes, I'm the kind of fan who loves it when Duke wins and Carolina loses, but if my choices are Duke wins and Carolina wins or Duke loses and Carolina loses, then let 'em both win.

The other kind of fan I hate are those that will not, not even begrudingly, give Duke their due. Coach K is the GOAT and if a UNC fan wants to claim that no, Dean Smith is, fine, but if they aren't willing to then say Coach K is number 2, they are delusional beyond the point of being rational and I hate that.
    100% agree. It's dumb to not give your rival his/her due. Their excellence only elevates yours if and when you beat them. I don't follow Carolina. In general I don't watch their games, nor do I keep track of their record. They are inconsequential to me, because I'm not a Carolina fan. I'm a Duke fan and Duke is defined by Duke and not anyone else. Since about 1985 or so we have watched Duke at least be a threat to make the final four in every season except 1995 through 1997 and 2021. And we will be a threat again next year. That's all you can ask for. No one has Birthright citizenship in final four land.

A couple of things after that game. This is a transition and not a destination in my mind. I went through this when my father retired and that was hard on me. This wasn't. Again, different perspective and people get to feel how they feel but this didn't hit me hard. Also when my clinical mentor retired (and the man for whom the NICU was named), I was struck by the fact that the next morning we just showed up for work and kept trying to save babies. No one is irreplaceable. And once your head is wrapped around that then these things become easier. This isn't to diminish people's feelings about this. Simply my perspective having lived it.

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    I'm interviewing a member of UNC-CH's 1993 championship* team today for an open position.

Is it out of line to ask if he took fake courses, and if Dean did, in fact, know?
    We offered and he accepted the position. We're making the public announcement today.

Why do I feel worse today about offering him the job than when we extended the offer a week ago?

So, I bought my Final Four tickets before Coach K announced his retirement. Probably acted on the rumors last year...

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    We offered and he accepted the position. We're making the public announcement today.

Why do I feel worse today about offering him the job than when we extended the offer a week ago?
    If they were qualified to the job and were a good candidate for the position, you have to do what is best for the institution you work for. Which is far easier to say when you are sitting in TX with few opportunities to test such principles.

Air conditioning season cannot start without first setting the thermostats in the proper mode.

Another 20 minutes gone and the Monday malaise has little to no sign of abating.

Signs of life...

Signs of life...
    Well, maybe not.