Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Jonas Aidoo, a former Marquette commit until Wojo was fired, has committed to Tennessee. I bring this up as the Carolina fans had pinned their hopes on Aidoo of late.

Right now, the frontcourt situation is looking a bit dire for UNC. Sharpe is off to the NBA Draft and isn't coming back. Kessler has transferred to Auburn. Brooks is in the transfer portal and by all accounts has closed the door behind him. Bacot is testing the NBA draft process and could decide a pro future - G-League, late 2nd round selection, or overseas - is the way to go. He seems like the most likely to go back. Their reserve big men have also transferred, including Miller and Manley. The strength of the frontcourt, the thing that carried UNC this past season to a meh season, has been completely gutted. They need Bacot to return and then to add at least one more big body. I have no doubt that they will fill out the roster. But the frontcourt looks pretty weak right now. Bacot doesn't need a double-team when on defense. He's a good player, but he's not that good. He doesn't stretch the court with his shooting or his verticality. He's a good rebounder and ok around the rim with limited post moves. He's big and active and runs the court well. That's about it, though. If he gets in foul trouble, they would have to rely on UVA transfer Justin McKoy or Leaky Black. Both Black and McKoy are more like big wings than forwards. It looks like the transfer portal is going to be the way to go. There are not a ton of immediate impact transfers out there, though.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Jonas Aidoo, a former Marquette commit until Wojo was fired, has committed to Tennessee. I bring this up as the Carolina fans had pinned their hopes on Aidoo of late.

Right now, the frontcourt situation is looking a bit dire for UNC. Sharpe is off to the NBA Draft and isn't coming back. Kessler has transferred to Auburn. Brooks is in the transfer portal and by all accounts has closed the door behind him. Bacot is testing the NBA draft process and could decide a pro future - G-League, late 2nd round selection, or overseas - is the way to go. He seems like the most likely to go back. Their reserve big men have also transferred, including Miller and Manley. The strength of the frontcourt, the thing that carried UNC this past season to a meh season, has been completely gutted. They need Bacot to return and then to add at least one more big body. I have no doubt that they will fill out the roster. But the frontcourt looks pretty weak right now. Bacot doesn't need a double-team when on defense. He's a good player, but he's not that good. He doesn't stretch the court with his shooting or his verticality. He's a good rebounder and ok around the rim with limited post moves. He's big and active and runs the court well. That's about it, though. If he gets in foul trouble, they would have to rely on UVA transfer Justin McKoy or Leaky Black. Both Black and McKoy are more like big wings than forwards. It looks like the transfer portal is going to be the way to go. There are not a ton of immediate impact transfers out there, though.
    I know that in the wake of Aidoo committing to UT, they have offered Brady Manek of Oklahoma. And they have an offer out to Christian Bishop from Creighton. Reading some of the UNC chat boards has been amusing the past couple of days. Its pure doom and gloom. I dont want to bring any bad karma our way...but they legitimately still believe that Carolina is THE preeminent program in the country. Their delusions are to the point they're almost scary.

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    I know that in the wake of Aidoo committing to UT, they have offered Brady Manek of Oklahoma. And they have an offer out to Christian Bishop from Creighton. Reading some of the UNC chat boards has been amusing the past couple of days. Its pure doom and gloom. I dont want to bring any bad karma our way...but they legitimately still believe that Carolina is THE preeminent program in the country. Their delusions are to the point they're almost scary.
    As it SHOULD be pure doom and gloom. Not just saying this because I hate them, but I think unc is screwed for at least a few years. There's just NO WAY Hubert D is going to get the same level recruits at the same pace as Ol roy boy. Roy had a long and successful track record coaching and landing big names, going all the way back to the Kansas days. Current kids knew Roy's name and stature, parents knew Roy's name and stature. Hubert?? Not so much. So lets just start from a place of diminished talent on the court to work with.

That brings us to coaching strategy, pre-game prep as well as in-game adjustments. IMO, Roy was a pretty good coach and had lots of experience in a variety of situations. Don't let Ol roy boy's puppy dog-eyed, fake self deprecation press conference fool you. He hasn't lost his coaching ability, he's tired of being criticized by unc faithful for games lost because he feels he earned the right to not be blamed (like, he was Dean's boy so...). The main thing that's changed for roy is that he doesn't have the patience for handling criticism after losses anymore, and frankly he'd rather just play golf. Having said all of this to make the point: there is nothing that Hubert is going to do differently as a coach that's going to be better than ol roy. AND he'll have less talent. What is Hubert going to do differently than Roy that's going to equal more wins?? Do away with unc's long time strategy of running bigs in transition, and the secondary break? No. Those things always worked well for roy when he had the personnel. Play a zone defense? Nope, not that easy to implement. Make kids go to class? Nah, that won't help them on the court!

There's nothing that's going to get better going from roy to hubert. The only way they were going to get better was to land a big-name coach to improve the level of recruits. It ain't happenin.

Are we still laughing at people leaving UNC?

Asking for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

Asking for a friend.
    Yes, every time it happens. Tell your friend there are different types of departures from a program.

Asking for a friend.
    Yep, bc our guys are looking at Tre Jones, Gary Trent Jr. and Frank Jackson and gambling on themselves - not leaving for more college.

Not to mention - our cupboard didn't go bare with a new coach to boot.

Goldwire legit deserves to go to a program where he can get 35 mins a game. Brakefield too. We both know that wasn't gonna happen at Duke next year.

Meanwhile, someway somehow, Boogie Ellis is still in college.
    Last edited by SupaDave; 04-14-2021 at 11:00 PM.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    I have two things on the Hubert Davis hire that would bother me if I was a fan of the UnCheats. First is all of the non-sense that you have to be a UNC guy to coach there. Talk about limiting your options. The second is how he publicly made a big deal that he wanted Kessler back. It felt kind of like a back-stab to Roy who just retired because of Kessler and the like. So to do that so publicly made many speculate that it was a back room deal where Kessler had agreed to come back because Roy had left and that Davis was talking so publicly about it for a big first recruiting win. And then to lose the Kessler sweepstakes to auburn just rings to me of Davis being out of touch with UNC's place in CBB. Plus he spend so much time on Kessler he missed out on other more realistic frontcourt options. But to miss so publicly on such a longshot just seems so obtuse?

^ I think they would have jumped at a big name non-unc guy, but those guys had better things to do with their lives...

Asking for a friend.
    I’d say we’re laughing at uNC as people leave and congratulating those who leave for coming to their senses.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    First is all of the non-sense that you have to be a UNC guy to coach there. Talk about limiting your options.
    you're in for a surprise if you think it'll be any different at duke when K retires. I think it a terrible thing, but likely what'll happen.
    April 1

Asking for a friend.
    I don't mean to single out Mtn.Devil here, because I almost always enjoy his/her posts, but I always get a little chuckle at the mindset toward unx from a lot of folks on the boards. Take no overt pleasure any time something bad happens down 15-501, lest you invite some sort of karmic retribution back to our guys and program. If they have mass exodus of talent and their coach leaves...can't enjoy it. If they have a down season and finish in the absolute cellar of the conference? Don't relish in it because they'll be back next year with a vengeance, and ohbytheway, it could happen to us at some point in the future.

And then when things go well for them, of course, we cannot take pleasure in any of that because, well, that's objectively awful and should never be enjoyed. Basically, we're tethered to them as our sworn rivals, but this line of thinking doesn't permit any enjoyment at their expense irrespective of whether they're up or down (or really, really down). It's baffling to me since sports, by their nature, are supposed to be a form of entertainment and enjoyment. Of course, I don't subscribe to that thinking and I will always relish in their misfortunes (largely confined to sports).

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    you're in for a surprise if you think it'll be any different at duke when K retires. I think it a terrible thing, but likely what'll happen.
    This, for sure. I thought it was an astute observation by Jason, Donald, and Sam on the DBR pod (and others in the punditry) who suggested that Duke fans pay close attention to how things play out with the Roy succession process because it's likely to play out eerily similarly when K steps away. I also would prefer that the search extend beyond the family, but I have no practical optimism that it'll happen that way.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    I don't mean to single out Mtn.Devil here, because I almost always enjoy his/her posts, but I always get a little chuckle at the mindset toward unx from a lot of folks on the boards. Take no overt pleasure any time something bad happens down 15-501, lest you invite some sort of karmic retribution back to our guys and program. If they have mass exodus of talent and their coach leaves...can't enjoy it. If they have a down season and finish in the absolute cellar of the conference? Don't relish in it because they'll be back next year with a vengeance, and ohbytheway, it could happen to us at some point in the future.

And then when things go well for them, of course, we cannot take pleasure in any of that because, well, that's objectively awful and should never be enjoyed. Basically, we're tethered to them as our sworn rivals, but this line of thinking doesn't permit any enjoyment at their expense irrespective of whether they're up or down (or really, really down). It's baffling to me since sports, by their nature, are supposed to be a form of entertainment and enjoyment. Of course, I don't subscribe to that thinking and I will always relish in their misfortunes (largely confined to sports).

This, for sure. I thought it was an astute observation by Jason, Donald, and Sam on the DBR pod (and others in the punditry) who suggested that Duke fans pay close attention to how things play out with the Roy succession process because it's likely to play out eerily similarly when K steps away. I also would prefer that the search extend beyond the family, but I have no practical optimism that it'll happen that way.
    Afraid you're right.

You may be right. But life is not a jinx thread. I’m gonna hate those cheating, soulless bastards with every bone in my body and wish them the worst of luck, always. And I’ll never think twice about doing so.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I'm expecting the same to happen at Duke but it is the way that Hubert when on and on about how you had to be a UNC guy. You actually don't and UNC is not as special as he thinks it is.

One of his gems; New UNC coach Hubert Davis: 'You can't do this job unless you're a Carolina guy'.

No offense taken. I am happy to hate til the cows come home, but schadenfreude makes me nervous.

Go Duke!

Yup. Duke will go with a Coach K coaching tree candidate. And he will very likely be an underwhelming candidate.

And a few players on that roster may transfer and a few recruits may decommit.

I am expecting something similar to UNC, except our coach will not quit because of a disgruntled 5-star player (didn't we already have that this year? And guess what? Coach K is still here! Yay!). And I assume the writing will be on the wall when Coach K retires and Coach K will have a more thorough succession plan (albeit an underwhelming candidate...)
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Historical precedent

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    One of his gems; New UNC coach Hubert Davis: 'You can't do this job unless you're a Carolina guy'.
    I guess Doh was a Duke guy.

No offense taken. I am happy to hate til the cows come home, but schadenfreude makes me nervous.

Go Duke!
    If schadenfreude karma were a thing, then Duke would have way better luck considering all the schadenfreude coming from Chapel Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Yup. Duke will go with a Coach K coaching tree candidate. And he will very likely be an underwhelming candidate.

And a few players on that roster may transfer and a few recruits may decommit.

I am expecting something similar to UNC, except our coach will not quit because of a disgruntled 5-star player (didn't we already have that this year? And guess what? Coach K is still here! Yay!). And I assume the writing will be on the wall when Coach K retires and Coach K will have a more thorough succession plan (albeit an underwhelming candidate...)
    I see a lot of references to Roy quitting because of Kessler, but is there actual confirmation this is the case?

I think it was likely more complicated than that.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    I see a lot of references to Roy quitting because of Kessler, but is there actual confirmation this is the case?

I think it was likely more complicated than that.
    https://247sports.com/Article/Roy-Wi...ll--163471191/

Kessler clearly didn't get a 70-year old to retire, but he may have sped things up. Or, for another metaphor, Kessler was the straw that broke the camel's back.

And while not fair to put it on Kessler, I do think the mentality of 5-star recruits today is different than that of 5-star recruits 10 years ago.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club