Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I watched the replay of that play a couple times. Kenny Williams is guarding Guy, who runs through the lane and then cuts to the corner while Williams has his head turned. Williams then gets screened by his own man, preventing him from closing out on Guy who drills the wide open three. Williams was also late closing out on the following possession (I think) where Guy hit the three and also got fouled by Williams who got there late. (LOL at Bilas claiming Guy leaned in and initiated the contact, he couldn't be more wrong about that).
    Bilas wrong? Preposterous!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Thanks so much for responding and breaking it down for me. I was watching with the wife, or I would have rewound and slo-mo'd that one.

If those plays are typical of Williams ability on the defensive end, we should be able to exploit that. I imaging White will guard Trey, Williams would be on Cam, maybe?

Johnson on RJ?

Maye on Zion, LOL???

I am so much less fearful of UNC after seeing tonight's game.
    Fear the swoff.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Bilas wrong? Preposterous!
    He did say tonight that he has a degree in Omniscience, as well as law and med degrees...

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    You should *much* prefer beating the hated h**ls. We're the good guys. We don't cheat. Remember that.
    I meant I prefer winning to losing, not beating y’all to beating the heels. But I look forward to playing Duke (at least) once more this season.

Quote Originally Posted by W&LHoo View Post
    I meant I prefer winning to losing, not beating y’all to beating the heels. But I look forward to playing Duke (at least) once more this season.
    Gotcha/understood.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    This year's UVA team couldn't lose to a 16 seed if they tried, way too good, offensively (and defensively)
    Literally the only game I will be nervous for all year if it occurs. Honestly, I don't even know if I'll watch. But I have to reverse jinx this right now. Not cool man

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Thanks so much for responding and breaking it down for me. I was watching with the wife, or I would have rewound and slo-mo'd that one.

If those plays are typical of Williams ability on the defensive end, we should be able to exploit that. I imaging White will guard Trey, Williams would be on Cam, maybe?

Johnson on RJ?

Maye on Zion, LOL???

I am so much less fearful of UNC after seeing tonight's game.
    No prob; I get way too much joy out of watching the CHeats lose, to the extent that I have to go back and watch all the highlights. Williams has a reputation as being an excellent defender. I haven’t watched them enough to know whether this is actually true, or whether he’s just a terrible shooter and so people assume he has to be good at something LOL. Maye on Zion is going to be great (for us). If there’s one thing Maye cannot handle, it’s tough physical opponents. We saw Bagley go all Teen Wolf on him last season in Cameron, Zion will be more of the same.

Here’s a great slow-mo replay of the first Guy three. It looks like UVA is setting up an elevator screen for him on the other side of the court, but then he fakes and goes to the opposite side. Amazingly well-designed play.

Link

I did not realize that Black and Manley were also unavailable for this game. They're not starters or anything, but they do play some minutes. It would be like us not having Goldwire and Delaurier, and then on top of that we lose Jack White for most of the game and Cam Reddish for several minutes down the stretch. Maybe not as significant as having to play the whole game without Tre (which we did), but still a factor.
    Was curious to read this because I was getting a bit of cognitive dissonance tonight...seemed like limited offensive rebounds and no inside game for the heels tonite. And almost no fast breaks/ secondary breaks...weird.

I haven’t watched any uNC games this season, so was really trying to figure out how we would matchup with themehile watching tonight. From watching this game I really liked how our defense could counter Carolina’s offensive strengths: Tre could neutralize White; our Cam could
    cover their Cam; etc. etc.

But now I worry that because of the in-game injuries + the fact that UVA is so good at taking teams out of their game (pack line & pace) I didn’t get a real sense of what makes the heels so tough.

I do like our chances though...I feel like we have better players 1-4 (maybe 5?)...

UVA style of roster

Don't get mad, homers. After watch our game and Cheats VS UVA, I do think the roster setting and play of this UVA team is very like our Duke 2010 team. Not saying they are necessary good as Duke 2010 champion team. You can say Tony Bennett team does not have winning gene in their vein, but I just compare the style of play and efficiency. Also 2010 our NCs team was the slowest tempo team at 229th among all Kenpom Duke team from 2002.

Very experienced defense team, 3 head monster scorer all from perimeter (Jerome, Guy, Hunter), pairing with blue collar muscle big guys ( Salt, Diakite, Keys, Huff). They don't have NBA level one on ones scorer, but are very good at curl, off screen shooting, which is quite efficient in UNC tonight game.

And similar setting with 2010 Duke team. Of course better scoring stats than this UVA team, since our 2010 team is still faster temp than this UVA team.

Quote Originally Posted by shjiang View Post
    Don't get mad, homers. After watch our game and Cheats VS UVA, I do think the roster setting and play of this UVA team is very like our Duke 2010 team. Not saying they are necessary good as Duke 2010 champion team. You can say Tony Bennett team does not have winning gene in their vein, but I just compare the style of play and efficiency. Also 2010 our NCs team was the slowest tempo team at 229th among all Kenpom Duke team from 2002.

Very experienced defense team, 3 head monster scorer all from perimeter (Jerome, Guy, Hunter), pairing with blue collar muscle big guys ( Salt, Diakite, Keys, Huff). They don't have NBA level one on ones scorer, but are very good at curl, off screen shooting, which is quite efficient in UNC tonight game.

And similar setting with 2010 Duke team. Of course better scoring stats than this UVA team, since our 2010 team is still faster temp than this UVA team.
    But 2010 Duke did not have to deal with 2019 Duke...

Here’s a great slow-mo replay of the first Guy three. It looks like UVA is setting up an elevator screen for him on the other side of the court, but then he fakes and goes to the opposite side. Amazingly well-designed play.

Link
    Just another example that almost every screen is a moving screen. Huff probably didn’t need to lean into the chasing defenders in order to spring Guy but that’s a foul.

Quote Originally Posted by shjiang View Post

Aren't you a homer? I agree this VA team is very good and very well coached. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    {a long explanation}
    Though I didn't bet UNC in Degenerates, I definitely leaned that way and largely agreed with your and others' pregame analysis. But pro tip: all that is irrelevant, and you should let this one go. When DBR smells blood in the water (the blood in this case being you continuing to defend your pick), DBR will have fun with it (and very often I'd be one of the sharks). Again, there is no snark in my post, just concern for a fellow Degenerate. Your analysis may very well have been perfect, but that's irrelevant and should be let go.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Though I didn't bet UNC in Degenerates, I definitely leaned that way and largely agreed with your and others' pregame analysis. But pro tip: all that is irrelevant, and you should let this one go. When DBR smells blood in the water (the blood in this case being you continuing to defend your pick), DBR will have fun with it (and very often I'd be one of the sharks). Again, there is no snark in my post, just concern for a fellow Degenerate. Your analysis may very well have been perfect, but that's irrelevant and should be let go.
    Lucy, I smell some posts being deleted(not TM's) soon. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Aren't you a homer? I agree this VA team is very good and very well coached. GoDuke!
    I think he meant to say homies. I’ve enjoyed shjiang’s posts on the other board. Definite similarities between 2019 UVA and 2010 Duke, though let’s hope they don’t win it all because we’ll be the ones hanging a banner 8-)

I think he meant to say homies. I’ve enjoyed shjiang’s posts on the other board. Definite similarities between 2019 UVA and 2010 Duke, though let’s hope they don’t win it all because we’ll be the ones hanging a banner 8-)
    Thanks UC for the explanation. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by indy1duke View Post
    Maybe Jay Bilas can get an honorary degree from the cheats.
    I've got a roll of them in my bathroom if he wants one ...

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    He did say tonight that he has a degree in Omniscience, as well as law and med degrees...
    I can customize it however he would like; the only font available is Old Shaky Hand Sharpie Technical

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Completely agree with this. The lower middle of the conference has really disappointed this season. To have 6 teams that are just completely out of it at this point is (to my recollection) an unusually high number. We may have 6 ACC teams that finish with an under .500 regular season record - not good.
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I've got a roll of them in my bathroom if he wants one ...

I can customize it however he would like; the only font available is Old Shaky Hand Sharpie Technical
    must spread sporks etc...
    I enjoyed that jab!

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    This year's UVA team couldn't lose to a 16 seed if they tried, way too good, offensively (and defensively). They should be Elite 8 bound, at the very least. Feel the same for our Devils.

Heels have impressed more than I expected. Sad, but true. ACC, very strong at the top, pretty good in the middle and very weak at the bottom, imo.
    Is this an attempt to jinx?