Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I'm sorry, did I have a post deleted in reply to this? I simply pointed out that this was a horribly flippant response to an accusation of sexual assault. I hope that wasn't deemed too controversial.
    My response to your response also got deleted. I think you’re confused in that the comment was made about a post in this thread being a parody, not the accusation itself.

Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post
    ... but this is a sport board.
    So is BleacherReport: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2820157-justin-fairfax-accuser-alleges-1999-rape-by-unnamed-duke-basketball-player

The mods will figure out what to do about this thread but the minute “duke basketball player” popped into the VA political scandal, it became partially a sports story and, unfortunately, another in a long line highlighting the uneasy relationship between sports and sexual violence of all kinds. Duke has already been asked to respond. I imagine Coach K will be asked in his post-game interview at the game being played IN VIRGINIA tonight. No getting around it.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    I gotcha. Public Policy was just a major when I was there, not it’s own school. I imagine it’s named for Uncle Terry?
    I’m with you there. When I worked at Duke (85 or 86) a car stopped and asked me directions to the Fuqua School. My response was “The What School?” Then I figured it out.

Who was the dean in 1999?

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    There were lots of deans. Nan was president.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    So is BleacherReport: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ketball-player

The mods will figure out what to do about this thread but the minute “duke basketball player” popped into the VA political scandal, it became partially a sports story and, unfortunately, another in a long line highlighting the uneasy relationship between sports and sexual violence of all kinds. Duke has already been asked to respond. I imagine Coach K will be asked in his post-game interview at the game being played IN VIRGINIA tonight. No getting around it.
    Given this just broke last night, and the undoubted prep for the game today, and the fact that it hasn't completely blown up yet, K might not even be aware of it yet, and even if he is, I doubt he'll say anymore than he doesn't know much about it yet and perhaps condemn sexual assault in general.
    1200. DDMF.

Sue has been there since papyrus and reeds days.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    But she may not have yet ascended to the title of Dean then. And yes, I believe she was in my (and devildeac's) class, although I'm not in her class...
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    But she may not have yet ascended to the title of Dean then. And yes, I believe she was in my (and devildeac's) class, although I'm not in her class...
    She was, IIRC. I was T ‘98 and Dean Sue was the dean I recall best.

I recall one or two others who were not up to her caliber, but not their names.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I know Sue was not happy at all when my dorm gave a party in honor of Alcohol Awareness Week. That was 1981 or 82.

She was already Dean Sue when I was there in the late eighties

I was called to Dean Sue’s office several times when I was president of my fraternity.

We were not her favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I was called to Dean Sue’s office several times when I was president of my fraternity.

We were not her favorite.
    There must have been several fraternities that weren’t her favorite, I was pretty sure my brothers and I were at the bottom of that list.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    My assumption, unless there is specific information to the contrary, is that both Duke and the basketball program acted appropriately in the alleged incident. As this is a public board, I encourage each of you to make the same assumption.

Kindly,
    Sage Grouse
    to the best of my knowledge coach k has always maintained the highest of standards for himself and his program. I can not imagine him doing anything but the same with alleged incident.

Remember the last time Duke athletes were accused of rape

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    Remember the last time Duke athletes were accused of rape
    Yes, but that has nothing do with this case. Even if Duke athletes were accused falsely 1000 times in a row, we have to do our due diligence the 1001th, and nth time.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Given this just broke last night, and the undoubted prep for the game today, and the fact that it hasn't completely blown up yet, K might not even be aware of it yet, and even if he is, I doubt he'll say anymore than he doesn't know much about it yet and perhaps condemn sexual assault in general.
    I'd be surprised if Coach K has not been briefed on the matter but agree with your thoughts on his potential response. No comment was the line from the Duke Athletic Dep't when they were asked about it before the UVA game. From the Chronicle:

"When asked about the allegation before the men's basketball game against Virginia Saturday, Jon Jackson, deputy director of men's basketball and athletics, declined to comment. An attempt to reach the law firm representing Watson by phone Saturday night was unsuccessful."

Full article from the Chronicle.

Yes

Yes, but that has nothing do with this case. Even if Duke athletes were accused falsely 1000 times in a row, we have to do our due diligence the 1001th, and nth time.
    I think that’s all BigZ was saying. Let’s wait for the facts.

Maybe I missed it (it's the kind of thread you try not to read to closely) but where does the 1999 figure come from? The Duke student involved reported that Fairfax told her he decided to rape her during her sophomore year because he knew she had reported a rape the year before and it hadn't gone anywhere. So the alleged player (and I only say this to note that not only do I not have any personal acquaintanceship with any of the people involved, I'd never even heard of them before today, and I can make no judgment of "who's telling the truth," etc. Please don't take away my interneting card) rape would have occurred when she was a Freshman. If she were in Fairfax's class(2000), that would have been 96-97, and therefore, if it truly were a player (and not someone who tried out for the team, or was on the JV etc.--news outlets like the most inflammatory presumptions) it could be a player who graduated/left/transferred in 97, 98, 99 or 00.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    Maybe I missed it (it's the kind of thread you try not to read to closely) but where does the 1999 figure come from? The Duke student involved reported that Fairfax told her he decided to rape her during her sophomore year because he knew she had reported a rape the year before and it hadn't gone anywhere. So the alleged player (and I only say this to note that not only do I not have any personal acquaintanceship with any of the people involved, I'd never even heard of them before today, and I can make no judgment of "who's telling the truth," etc. Please don't take away my interneting card) rape would have occurred when she was a Freshman. If she were in Fairfax's class(2000), that would have been 96-97, and therefore, if it truly were a player (and not someone who tried out for the team, or was on the JV etc.--news outlets like the most inflammatory presumptions) it could be a player who graduated/left/transferred in 97, 98, 99 or 00.
    The Chronicle article, relying on her attorney’s statement, said the rape occurred during her sophomore year and she was class of 2001. So that would mean 1998-99 team.