Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I am not going to speculate. I have absolutely no idea who the accuser is referring to or what happened 20 years ago. I'll just link to a Duke Chronicle media article that there was a Duke Men's basketball walk-on player on that team who had a public problematic history with sexual harassment that ruined his career. He talked about the problematic culture at that time.

https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...171120-ko-edit

And we just don't know, so no rush to judgment here.
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 02-09-2019 at 12:00 PM.

Wow... not sure what to say, other than echoing the sentiments of patience until we know as many facts as possible.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The accuser said this happened in 1999, but not specific to which part of the year. So it could be either the 1998-99 team or the 99-00 team.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The accuser said this happened in 1999, but not specific to which part of the year. So it could be either the 1998-99 team or the 99-00 team.
    I think it is also important to note that Justin Fairfax is the one under scrutiny at the moment and not the basketball team or anyone else at Duke University. We may never know the answers to our many questions.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I think it is also important to note that Justin Fairfax is the one under scrutiny at the moment and not the basketball team or anyone else at Duke University. We may never know the answers to our many questions.
    But maybe we should if a Duke Dean really provided a sophomore accuser no help and discouraged her from pursuing the claim further as was alleged. That is a big problem, even 20 years ago I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    But maybe we should if a Duke Dean really provided a sophomore accuser no help and discouraged her from pursuing the claim further as was alleged. That is a big problem, even 20 years ago I would think.
    That's on the Dean... if the situations were the same for the athlete, and the non athlete, vis a vis the Dean's actions.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    I am not going to speculate. I have absolutely no idea who the accuser is referring to or what happened 20 years ago. I'll just link to a Duke Chronicle media article that there was a Duke Men's basketball walk-on player on that team who had a public problematic history with sexual harassment that ruined his career. He talked about the problematic culture at that time.

https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...171120-ko-edit

And we just don't know, so no rush to judgment here.
    Duke is neither the only campus to host the infection of campus sexual crimes, nor is it immune to it.

The social spotlight that has been shone upon this issue over the past (half?) decade has been a very positive trend in helping people everywhere become "woke" to the problem, the #metoo movement has been a huge help as well.

Hopefully this situation will result in some positive growth as well.

Thank you for linking the article. Another (not-so) shocking article was linked within the article you posted:

University survey reveals ‘startling’ sexual misconduct statistics

I used to have the Chronicle bookmarked. I think it's time I do so again.

Of course I hope this isn't true. If it is true, I hope K had no knowledge of it. If he had knowledge of it, I hope he acted appropriately.

If it is true, and K had knowledge, and didn't act appropriately I will be profoundly disappointed.

I will wait patiently to make any judgment, but this is a heap of "not good" regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Of course I hope this isn't true. If it is true, I hope K had no knowledge of it. If he had knowledge of it, I hope he acted appropriately.

If it is true, and K had knowledge, and didn't act appropriately I will be profoundly disappointed.

I will wait patiently to make any judgment, but this is a heap of "not good" regardless.
    Yes this is the concern- if K knew and what was done. We shall see how it develops.

May we please let this play out and quit the speculation?

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Duke is neither the only campus to host the infection of campus sexual crimes, nor is it immune to it.

The social spotlight that has been shone upon this issue over the past (half?) decade has been a very positive trend in helping people everywhere become "woke" to the problem, the #metoo movement has been a huge help as well.

Thank you for linking the article. Another (not-so) shocking article was linked within the article you posted:

That "survey" says a lot more about the Chronicle staff's mathematical intuition, understanding of statistics, and knowledge of proper research methods than it does about sexual misconduct.

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    That "survey" says a lot more about the Chronicle staff's mathematical intuition, understanding of statistics, and knowledge of proper research methods than it does about sexual misconduct.
    Well, that may be so, but it doesn't erase one person's admission of culpability and past. Regardless of the specifics of whatever this allegation may be, Caldbeck seems to own his role and be interested in healing his past and creating a more positive and safe environment on campus. Of course this excuses nothing, but is a much more impressive reaction than most people seem prone to (denial or minimalizing impact).

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    You would think so, but that's not the way it comes across in the yahoo link posted by stray on page 1 of this thread. Leading story in the sports section.

Quote Originally Posted by ScreechTDX1847 View Post
    Does this strike anyone else as an amazingly brazen and broad assumption?
    Treat it as a parody post and it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post

I would be glad to go down this road with you and dismantle almost every assertion you make, but this is a sport board. Maybe, just maybe, the thread needs to be locked.

Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post
    I would be glad to go down this road with you and dismantle almost every assertion you make, but this is a sport board. Maybe, just maybe, the thread needs to be locked.
    Wow.

Maybe you could PM me. I am genuinely surprised you would find anything in my post objectionable or controversial.

Can't change what has already happened - do the right thing now.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Treat it as a parody post and it makes sense.
    I'm sorry, did I have a post deleted in reply to this? I simply pointed out that this was a horribly flippant response to an accusation of sexual assault. I hope that wasn't deemed too controversial.

My assumption, unless there is specific information to the contrary, is that both Duke and the basketball program acted appropriately in the alleged incident. As this is a public board, I encourage each of you to make the same assumption.

Kindly,
    Sage Grouse
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013