Page 2282 of 3384 FirstFirst ... 128217822182223222722280228122822283228422922332238227823282 ... LastLast
Results 45,621 to 45,640 of 67668
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    So many places left on the list. Ugh, where do I get limitless time and resources?
    My parents, who had been to a lot of Asia, Europe(non-Soviet bloc), and the US really turned it up in retirement. While not limitless, with my sister and I out of the house, time and resources were much more readily available.

There are 90,000 active missing persons cases in the US.

My wife worked for the National Center for Missing and Exploited when I met her and she always tells me the ones that go mainstream are just barely scratching the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Every vacation for ~20 years was spent taking my kids to see their grandparents. My husband has been to scientific meetings all over the world. He's been to every continent except Antarctica. I have, however, been to 2 countries that he hasn't, Iceland and Luxembourg.

Once he starts traveling internationally again, I'm going to start going with him when it's a place I think I might like to visit. I very much prefer going to one place and staying there long enough to get a feel for it as opposed to a "if it's Tuesday, it much be Belgium" approach. That said, when I chaperoned middle schoolers all over France I had such a great time that I went back again 2 years later to chaperone middle schoolers all over England and Scotland. I may not have been to that many places, but I have been to Loch Ness.

Also, I have a favorite Indian restaurant in London.
    Literally just Toronto and Ghana for me Internationally. Hitting Toronto, Kitchener, Hamilton next week though m

My wife worked for the National Center for Missing and Exploited when I met her and she always tells me the ones that go mainstream are just barely scratching the surface.
    That is scary.

It does seem that every few years there's one particular story of a young, pretty, usually Caucasian girl that goes missing and grabs the media's attention. And usually at some point someone will mention the number of missing children that aren't featured at the top of the news cycle for two or three weeks.

Wednesday...

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Every vacation for ~20 years was spent taking my kids to see their grandparents. My husband has been to scientific meetings all over the world. He's been to every continent except Antarctica. I have, however, been to 2 countries that he hasn't, Iceland and Luxembourg.

Once he starts traveling internationally again, I'm going to start going with him when it's a place I think I might like to visit. I very much prefer going to one place and staying there long enough to get a feel for it as opposed to a "if it's Tuesday, it much be Belgium" approach. That said, when I chaperoned middle schoolers all over France I had such a great time that I went back again 2 years later to chaperone middle schoolers all over England and Scotland. I may not have been to that many places, but I have been to Loch Ness.

Also, I have a favorite Indian restaurant in London.
    my lovely wife and I have taken that "long stay" approach. I hate the constant packing, repacking, etc, so we find a city or place with lots of interesting stuff and stay for a week or more (with the occasional day trip)...so much to do in places like Barcelona, Madrid, London, Paris, SF, Moscow (!!)...

I once took 30 kids to Montreal for the day (ages 9-14) and the fact that every single one came home safely is one of my lifetime accomplishments, though we did have a couple of gackers on the bus, which I suspect is standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    It does seem that every few years there's one particular story of a young, pretty, usually Caucasian girl that goes missing and grabs the media's attention. And usually at some point someone will mention the number of missing children that aren't featured at the top of the news cycle for two or three weeks.
    That’s certainly part of it. News is a business and they know their audience. Seems like there is usually some salacious detail or level of wealth involved. This Gabby Petito tragedy is the perfect mystery for the Instagram generation, for example.

Here are NCMEC stats for anyone interested. Most of these crimes are committed by close family or friends, almost always male.

https://www.missingkids.org/ourwork/impact

That’s certainly part of it. News is a business and they know their audience. Seems like there is usually some salacious detail or level of wealth involved. This Gabby Petito tragedy is the perfect mystery for the Instagram generation, for example.

Here are NCMEC stats for anyone interested. Most of these crimes are committed by close family or friends, almost always male.

https://www.missingkids.org/ourwork/impact
    To be clear, I don't mean to in any way minimize the tragedy of Gabby and her family. But it seems like Amy Smart, Natalee Holloway, etc all over again.

Missing person cases are all tragic and usually end predictably. But the high profile ones are strangely not representative of the mass numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Pistachios are the best snacking nuts.
    I like cashews, although technically a seed and a lot less healthy.

Side note: Each individual cashew has to be separated from its tree fruit and explains why they're expensive. In the photo below, there's one cashew nut inside the bottom of each fruit.

1280px-Cashew_apples.jpg
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Side note: Each individual cashew has to be separated from its tree fruit and explains why they're expensive. In the photo below, there's one cashew nut inside the bottom of each fruit.

1280px-Cashew_apples.jpg
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...Walnut-Granola

genial disagreement. Lots of evidence on the health attributes of cashews among other tree nuts...I would not term them "a lot less healthy."

I've chaperoned teenagers on overnights to Washington, DC, New York City (twice), New Orleans (twice), Chicago (6 times), Milledgeville, GA (4 times), and Dallas. You can't scare me.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I've chaperoned teenagers on overnights to Washington, DC, New York City (twice), New Orleans (twice), Chicago (6 times), Milledgeville, GA (4 times), and Dallas. You can't scare me.
    That deserves hazardous duty pay.

were you 19 years old when you did it? I found it a bit daunting, but rose to the occasion, heroically!

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    That deserves hazardous duty pay.
    Generally speaking, they've been some of my favorite moments of my career. Some of these have been earned trips to out-of-town academic bowl tournaments, and others have just been your standard out-of-town learning expeditions. It's a real treat to see them grow up in terms of keeping up with their things, budgeting their money, not getting themselves killed, etc.
    Also gratifying to show a kid things like the US Capitol, NYC skyline, Bourbon Street (wait, no, that's after hours), etc. for the first time.
    It's not something I'd want to do week in and week out, but it's a nice way to complement their education in less traditional ways and get the little perk of a morsel of adventure for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    were you 19 years old when you did it? I found it a bit daunting, but rose to the occasion, heroically!
    I coordinated a trip to DC for the entire 8th grade when I was 30. That was the first biggie. Since then, I've averaged I'd say like 2-3 overnights per school year (Covid strictures have of course changed that in the last couple of years).

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

1280px-Cashew_apples.jpg
    Cashews. Tomatoes. Taxonomy can take a hike!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    To be clear, I don't mean to in any way minimize the tragedy of Gabby and her family. But it seems like Amy Smart, Natalee Holloway, etc all over again.

Missing person cases are all tragic and usually end predictably. But the high profile ones are strangely not representative of the mass numbers.
    Caught your meaning and was agreeing.

I coordinated a trip to DC for the entire 8th grade when I was 30. That was the first biggie. Since then, I've averaged I'd say like 2-3 overnights per school year (Covid strictures have of course changed that in the last couple of years).
    Having been an 8th grader on a DC trip, I commend your cat herding skills!

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Literally just Toronto and Ghana for me Internationally. Hitting Toronto, Kitchener, Hamilton next week though m
    ClemmonsDevil, in case you not aware, proof of full vaccinations is required for all non-essential businesses (restaurants, bars, etc.) beginning today. I don't know how they will deal with visitors, but you will need proof anyway to enter the country. I assume you've been told by your hosts the current requirements for entry.

The linked news story lists all the businesses now requiring proof of vaccination: https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/important...oday-1.5591806