Page 1801 of 3369 FirstFirst ... 80113011701175117911799180018011802180318111851190123012801 ... LastLast
Results 36,001 to 36,020 of 67380
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I feel like it is confessional time on here. I managed that store for 6 months and there was a notable uptick in my dating life as well as in the attractiveness of the girls I started dating. That was part of the job I did not hate. As far as skills I learned, I was able to put together that females like receiving Cards & Gifts on important days. And I am very skilled at gift wrapping. You can't get a corner wrapped any tighter than I can do it.
    The only things I learned at my Italian restaurant job were 1) NEVER work at a family-owned restaurant when you are not a member of said family, 2) pizza dough can be used to make large replicas of naughty parts (the owner did that, not us), and 3) it can be very invigorating to tell your boss off on your last day of work, especially when she shorted you shifts and then tried to get you to work one more at the last minute. I told her that maybe if she got off her big fat butt and did some actual work herself they wouldn't be short-staffed. Her husband (and the owner) was standing right next to me dying laughing. I was very proud of myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    As someone who lives very close to her hometown, I was unaware until recently about what an amazing person she is.
    I mean, I went to Dollyworld by myself once as sort of a joke. Really enjoyed hearing about her upbringing but her selflessness and humanitarianism is really commendable.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    If you haven't listened, Jad Abumrad's Dolly Parton's America is a fascinating podcast series.

-jk
    Cool, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    The only things I learned at my Italian restaurant job were 1) NEVER work at a family-owned restaurant when you are not a member of said family, 2) pizza dough can be used to make large replicas of naughty parts (the owner did that, not us), and 3) it can be very invigorating to tell your boss off on your last day of work, especially when she shorted you shifts and then tried to get you to work one more at the last minute. I told her that maybe if she got off her big fat butt and did some actual work herself they wouldn't be short-staffed. Her husband (and the owner) was standing right next to me dying laughing. I was very proud of myself.
    Sounds cathartic!

Angry chefs do horrible things to food that has been returned to the kitchen by customers, then they send it back out..my advice is, do this at your significant peril.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Only once in my entire life have I sent food back, and then I didn't actually send it back. I ordered a dish that I usually like but at this particular restaurant, I did not like the way they did it. I couldn't make myself eat it and I was hungry. So, I told the waiter that I didn't like my dinner and asked if I could see the menu again so I could order something else. The manager came out to speak to me with the waiter and I told them there was nothing wrong with the food, I just didn't like it. They ended up comping me the meal which I didn't feel was necessary, but, in the end, I retained good feelings towards the restaurant and have eaten there many times since, so, maybe one free meal was worth it from their end.

Let's see if I can make a mostly complete list of jobs...

- retail music store
    - landscaping (sucks in Charlotte in the summertime)
    - coffee jockey (barista in modern parlance)
    - cabinet installation
    - radio DJ
    - locksmith
    - bakery
    - paralegal
    - pub quiz master
    - retail clothing
    - warehouse lackey
    - furniture delivery
    - restaurant admin
    - butcher
    - amish furniture sales
    - water company billing
    - temp agency payroll admin
    - nonprofit admin
    - website guru
    - outdoor retail sales
    - outdoor retail store owner

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Been reading a lot of toddler books lately. Some new fun stuff ---- lots of old favorites that were around when I was a kid.
    Russell the Sheep by Rob Scotton.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/rus...ton/1100209523

My personal favorite of the books I read to my youngest son. I wished it had been written sooner so I could have read it to all my kids when they were little. I look forward to reading it with grandchildren.

- retail music store
    - cabinet installation
    - radio DJ
    - locksmith
    - bakery
    - paralegal
    - pub quiz master
    - retail clothing
    - warehouse lackey
    - furniture delivery
    - restaurant admin
    - butcher
    - amish furniture sales
    - water company billing
    - nonprofit admin
    - website guru
    - outdoor retail sales
    This is fantastic.

I mean, I went to Dollyworld by myself once as sort of a joke. Really enjoyed hearing about her upbringing but her selflessness and humanitarianism is really commendable...
    It's Dollywood, and it's not a joke! As theme parks go, it's got a great setting (on a wooded mountainside), it's wonderfully clean and hospitable, the food is terrific, and it has good rides (the roller coasters in particular have gotten quite good in the last 10 years). I've been to Dollywood about half a dozen times and will for sure be returning as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    It's Dollywood, and it's not a joke! As theme parks go, it's got a great setting (on a wooded mountainside), it's wonderfully clean and hospitable, the food is terrific, and it has good rides (the roller coasters in particular have gotten quite good in the last 10 years). I've been to Dollywood about half a dozen times and will for sure be returning as soon as possible.
    For me it's turkey. For Wilson it is Dollyworld. Ain't life weird?

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I am chagrinned. It's been since 2005 for me but I had a lot of fun. Remember some great music in particular. The area where it is set is beautiful, so close to GSMNP. I thought the exit process was interesting; it was near impossible to get out it was so winding through gift shop.

I am chagrinned. It's been since 2005 for me but I had a lot of fun. Remember some great music in particular. The area where it is set is beautiful, so close to GSMNP. I thought the exit process was interesting; it was near impossible to get out it was so winding through gift shop.
    It's just about two hours from me, but I've never been. A friend went there for his bachelor's party - there's apparently an attached water park that is the bee's knees.

Brown bear brown bear what do you see?
    I think I read this to Nephew Alex 30 times as the plane was stuck on the tarmac in Tampa about 27 years ago. The cheer that went up wasn't for the plane taking off, it was because they didn't have to hear me reading the book anymore. I tried to keep it quiet but think those immediately around us had to heard it each and every time.

American Eagle for me post college.
    Shoe store in the mall for me. And a marble slab creamery.
    Someone worked at Old Navy in high school!
    You all make me glad my retail experience was dealing drugs on a street corner.

Okay, it was really a neighborhood pharmacy but the above sounds so much more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post

Okay, it was really a neighborhood pharmacy but the above sounds so much more interesting.
    It definitely does! For 15 years I stuck babies with needles amd put breathing tubes in them. It is a very weird skillset.

It definitely does! For 15 years I stuck babies with needles amd put breathing tubes in them. It is a very weird skillset.
    Had someone ask me, at Royals Stadium, if I was still dealing drugs on a street corner. We got some interesting looks from the people around us.

Not surprised it was on a corner. Isn't that a specific real estate strategy of pharmacies?

Had someone ask me, at Royals Stadium, if I was still dealing drugs on a street corner. We got some interesting looks from the people around us.
    I mean, you could have worked something out.

- retail music store
    - cabinet installation
    - radio DJ
    - locksmith
    - bakery
    - paralegal
    - pub quiz master
    - retail clothing
    - warehouse lackey
    - furniture delivery
    - restaurant admin
    - butcher
    - amish furniture sales
    - water company billing
    - nonprofit admin
    - website guru
    - outdoor retail sales

Amish furniture sales? Do tell.

Amish furniture sales? Do tell.
    I'm hoping they referred to him as English. I admire that the Amish don't think we've been around long enough for them to call us Americans. They're adopting a wait-and-see attitude.