Reference to Duke on Westminster broadcast

Watching the dog show. I have an Airedale and my last Dale was a show dog. This is Augie. (Needs a grooming)

In introducing the Terrier Group they noted that this is the Group where many champions were sourced. And in doing so they compared the Group to the Patriots, the Yankees and Duke- as championship programs/teams.

So...what breeds of dogs own DBRers?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Watching the dog show. I have an Airedale and my last Dale was a show dog. This is Augie. (Needs a grooming)

In introducing the Terrier Group they noted that this is the Group where many champions were sourced. And in doing so they compared the Group to the Patriots, the Yankees and Duke- as championship programs/teams.

So...what breeds of dogs own DBRers?
    Airedales! No dog with more personality. Not the right dog for everyone. I had 2 over a 24 year period, Theo and Archer. Archer championed in the fewest shows possible. I miss them dearly.

Golden retriever and long haired chihuahua. Chihuahua usually looks cuter.

luna_sister.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Airedales! No dog with more personality. Not the right dog for everyone. I had 2 over a 24 year period, Theo and Archer. Archer championed in the fewest shows possible. I miss them dearly.
    Love this breed. On my third. Kal (RIP) my second was a champion, Augie wasn't shown. Had them together for about seven months. What a joy!

I love this thread and hope lots of people will respond.
    Walter is half bulldog, half boxer, and Violet is half pug, half chihuahua.
    IMG_0324.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I love this thread and hope lots of people will respond.
    Walter is half bulldog, half boxer, and Violet is half pug, half chihuahua.
    IMG_0324.JPG
    Love them. I was concerned when I started this that I would be viewed as making this august site into FB, but the Duke reference on the broadcast was the clincher.

Here are mine...Kal (the older guy and champion - RIP) - and Augie as a pup. My favorite picture of them together.

These are my furbabies. The first one is Sky. He's now over 15 years old, but still has a lot of puppy in him. Advertised as a 6 month old border collie puppy at the shelter, it was found that he retained his baby teeth and was really well over a year old. Based on his personality, we and the vet figured he was Jack Russell and, oh, maybe Papillion. My daughter was curious, so she had his DNA done a couple of months ago. Turns out the Jack Russell is right, but only 12.5%. He's 25% poodle, 25% Basset hound, 12.5% Chihuahua, and 25% unknown. So, we'll go with Russell-huahua-doodle Basselope for him.

This beauty is the guy we adopted on Monday. He's about 7-8 months old and is an Australian shepherd/hound (beagle?) mix. He's currently named Frazier. He was rescued from a hoarding situation just before Christmas (14 Aussie mixes in a single-wide trailer), so they chose holiday names for him (as in Frazier Fir), his sister, Holly, and their mom, Merry. My daughter recently adopted a puppy from the same rescue, then she decided to foster, too, and he's her first foster. We were not looking for another pet, but we fell in love with each other. He is quite striking, but also really goofy and a real snuggler. We're looking for a better name for him (we've ruled out any Duke player names or Cameron).

Our favorite breed is pound puppy. We had an Aussie-Golden-Toller beautiful girl, a sweet shepherd/Sheltie boy, and a border terrier mix (think Benjie) before him. All have had different personalities, but all have been incredibly sweet, loyal companions.

A beer-drinking Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever (aka Toller; finally recognized by the AKC maybe a decade ago?) referenced in the Ymm, Beer thread who will turn 16 years, 7 months old this Saturday and who attacks every meal as though it is his first (and last, which one day, it will be) ... sorry, no good at posting pics ... wasn't there a thread somewhere about Duke-related dog/pet names?

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    A beer-drinking Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever (aka Toller; finally recognized by the AKC maybe a decade ago?) referenced in the Ymm, Beer thread who will turn 16 years, 7 months old this Saturday and who attacks every meal as though it is his first (and last, which one day, it will be) ... sorry, no good at posting pics ... wasn't there a thread somewhere about Duke-related dog/pet names?
    16/7!!! wow. What a joy to have a loved ne that long. Kal was a bit over 13 when we lost him (mid breed range).

No length of time is long enough. Still tear up a year later when I think of him. Thank God for Augie...

We have Hutch, Lilly, and Casey

Hutch is some form of blend of a Golden Retriever (face and head) and Corgi (short legs and fluffy butt and tail fur). He's awesomely loving, sweet as pie, and dumb as a stump (I say with love and affection). He's 9 and we rescued him from the Forsyth County animal shelter.

Lilly is a 9 year old black lab and Australian cattle hound mix. She's got silky soft beautiful black fur with a white chest and white tipped paws, long legged and fast as lightning in her youth. I've seen her herd everything from kids to deer. She is smart, maternal over our girls, very independent to the point of being a little aloof, and is a cold blooded rabbit killer. She bides her time. She waits. She makes the humans think she's cool when the rabbit. Months later...she kills. She has the Aussie cattle hound crazy eye and we love her...but the other dogs are just a little afraid of the crazy. We rescued Lilly from the Durham animal shelter.

Casey is a pure bred German Shepherd (Czech Border Patrol). She was turned over to the shelter by a scumbag...er...breeder when she'd been overbred to the point of being unable to mate. Through an odd string of circumstance she found us last summer and is now a cherished member of the family. She's Czech Border Patrol though and through - obedient, calm, smart, responsive to verbal cues, and views all men (except the ones she can tell that my wife and I are okay with) as threats until proven otherwise. As the father of 3 daughter, I love that. Kill the boys, Casey. Kill them all.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    16/7!!! wow. What a joy to have a loved ne that long. Kal was a bit over 13 when we lost him (mid breed range). No length of time is long enough ...
    Yes, he's quite the marvel. Threw his body around with wild abandon in his youth chasing balls. Was quite the athlete, stylishly snatching balls in mid-air. Doesn't do that any more, and has a bit of trouble with stairs now (esp. hardwood), but will still pick up his ball to carry in his mouth on the walk. As Bill Bradley said, you don't lose your shot, you lose your ability to get your shot. Has had some loopy moments: an 8-month-or so stretch a couple years ago of wanting to just go stand in the garage, staring at the wall, like he was supposed to meet Mabel who was to arrive on the bus at any minute. But he snapped out of those. He eats healthier, more expensive fare than any of the human family members, and probably has more attentive and regularly-scheduled medical care, as well. He was born while Clinton was president, and has now lived through the entirety of two, eight-year presidencies (Bush and Obama), and now on to Trump. Sixteen years and 7 months is unfathomable to me, given the wild athletic abandon of his youth, and a blessing beyond all blessings. But you're right, when the time comes, it won't have been long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Yes, he's quite the marvel. Threw his body around with wild abandon in his youth chasing balls. Was quite the athlete, stylishly snatching balls in mid-air. Doesn't do that any more, and has a bit of trouble with stairs now (esp. hardwood), but will still pick up his ball to carry in his mouth on the walk. As Bill Bradley said, you don't lose your shot, you lose your ability to get your shot. Has had some loopy moments: an 8-month-or so stretch a couple years ago of wanting to just go stand in the garage, staring at the wall, like he was supposed to meet Mabel who was to arrive on the bus at any minute. But he snapped out of those. He eats healthier, more expensive fare than any of the human family members, and probably has more attentive and regularly-scheduled medical care, as well. He was born while Clinton was president, and has now lived through the entirety of two, eight-year presidencies (Bush and Obama), and now on to Trump. Sixteen years and 7 months is unfathomable to me, given the wild athletic abandon of his youth, and a blessing beyond all blessings. But you're right, when the time comes, it won't have been long enough.
    Lost my Aussie Max in July, passed away at age 15. However, still have 9 year old Nitro, an American Blue pit bull terrier. Sweetest dog I've ever owned.