Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Devil View Post
    Fencing, wrestling and swimming. Let's put up a statue.
    Always hard to tell when written, but my sarcasm antenna popped up with your comment.

When I was admitted to Duke in 1984 the school had a grand total of 0 NCAA championships. Sure, I relish the basketball championships the most, but I appreciate all of them and so do the kids who devote a crap load of time to those sports while navigating rigorous academics. A comment like yours is completely unnecessary.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Fencing, wrestling and swimming. Let's put up a statue.
    You have a problem with Duke student-athletes representing Duke with distinction?

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    You have a problem with Duke student-athletes representing Duke with distinction?
    If ten years from now we are beginning the discussion of Nina King’s accomplishments with fencing, wrestling and swimming, she will have big problems.

My main point is that she doesn’t have to do very well to do better than Kevin White. White was probably the least consequential AD we have ever had, not needing to hire a football or men’s basketball coach. Maybe that was just lucky for him. Early retirement.

If ten years from now we are beginning the discussion of Nina King’s accomplishments with fencing, wrestling and swimming, she will have big problems.
    The thing that is funny is the post you're referencing ENDED with that statement. The 8 national championships (including two in men's basketball among others) was the "HEADLINE."

For those of you who don't read the front page.

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...ewski-acc-ncaa

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

did it have to have a photo of White hugging McCallie? Interesting choice, that.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    did it have to have a photo of White hugging McCallie? Interesting choice, that.
    Unfortunately, SBN has agreements with a limited number of organizations for photo rights.

It can lead to interesting choices.

-jk

Excellent article* - I look forward to seeing where AD King leads Duke sports.

* Not surprising, given the author.

I'm really hoping for an inspired football choice. There are pearls out there waiting to be found...what I don't know (and I've heard lots of opinions but very few facts) is what are the assistant coach salary restraints? Cut used to have absolutely top notch assistants he justifiably bragged about ...now we have quite a few guys with thin credentials. Yes, I know, Duke has limitations to what it can spend, but so do other programs which seem to be muddling by...just returning us to competence would be very very nice from this fan's perspective.

I'm really hoping for an inspired football choice. There are pearls out there waiting to be found...what I don't know (and I've heard lots of opinions but very few facts) is what are the assistant coach salary restraints? Cut used to have absolutely top notch assistants he justifiably bragged about ...now we have quite a few guys with thin credentials. Yes, I know, Duke has limitations to what it can spend, but so do other programs which seem to be muddling by...just returning us to competence would be very very nice from this fan's perspective.
    Nina King referenced a phone call with new ACC AD Jim Phillips in which Phillips said his top priority was to upgrade ACC football.

For what it's worth.

Nina King referenced a phone call with new ACC AD Jim Phillips in which Phillips said his top priority was to upgrade ACC football.

For what it's worth.
    I can't say I think it's worth all that much. ANY conference's goal would be to upgrade football, as it's biggest money driver by a long shot.

In reality, almost no school has had success consistently breaking into the couple of really elite programs. So what are they going to do? Encourage schools to spend more money and still not really close the gap to clemson?

Don't get me wrong, I hope we make a great hire and have a superb set of assistants to boot...but I'm also not convinced that there's anything systematically that could be done to "upgrade ACC football" relative to any of the other conferences.
    Last edited by uh_no; 05-24-2021 at 09:43 PM.
    1200. DDMF.

At this point, it is impossible to attract decent assistants because no one who is decent would give up a safe job to go work for a head coach who is likely out in a year or two. It becomes something of a death spiral.

When interviewing future coaches, it is key to get their ideas on who some of their top assistant coach candidates are. They can potentially keep around some existing assistants for continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    At this point, it is impossible to attract decent assistants because no one who is decent would give up a safe job to go work for a head coach who is likely out in a year or two. It becomes something of a death spiral.

When interviewing future coaches, it is key to get their ideas on who some of their top assistant coach candidates are. They can potentially keep around some existing assistants for continuity.
    for sure, we're not getting anyone special for the next couple of years...but for a long time we did...seems like the downhill slide began when John Latina left the OL slot, that guy was great, our line pushed people around...his successors were not nearly as good...I guess we're just going to hang for two more seasons unless some kind of earlier transition plan is enacted...