Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Uh, Tom Butters (and others) says "Hello".

And if the feelings of some on this board are representative, he better be careful with that last line.
    Yeah, no kidding. White achieved exactly what during his tenure? A football stadium improvement that had been promised before he was hired? The athletic department has been on autopilot.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    As long as she will build nicer locker rooms for field hockey so we can compete better with UNC for recruits, I'm all good.
    What is your problem with competition and women’s sports? Guess you think substandard facilities doesn’t matter.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Devil View Post
    Yeah, no kidding. White achieved exactly what during his tenure? A football stadium improvement that had been promised before he was hired? The athletic department has been on autopilot.
    Cutcliffe and White go back to their ND days so he's probably including that in his assessment. White certainly avoided embarrassment unlike our last AD...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Cutcliffe and White go back to their ND days so he's probably including that in his assessment. White certainly avoided embarrassment unlike our last AD...
    When was Coach Cut at Notre Dame?

From Wiki:
    1976–1979 Banks HS (AL) (assistant)
    1980–1981 Banks HS (AL)
    1982 Tennessee (assistant)
    1983–1988 Tennessee (TE)
    1989 Tennessee (RB)
    1990–1991 Tennessee (QB)
    1992 Tennessee (PGC/QB)
    1993–1994 Tennessee (OC/QB)
    1995–1998 Tennessee (AHC/OC/QB)
    1998–2004 Ole Miss
    2006–2007 Tennessee (AHC/OC/QB)
    2008–present Duke
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    When was Coach Cut at Notre Dame?

From Wiki:
    1976–1979 Banks HS (AL) (assistant)
    1980–1981 Banks HS (AL)
    1982 Tennessee (assistant)
    1983–1988 Tennessee (TE)
    1989 Tennessee (RB)
    1990–1991 Tennessee (QB)
    1992 Tennessee (PGC/QB)
    1993–1994 Tennessee (OC/QB)
    1995–1998 Tennessee (AHC/OC/QB)
    1998–2004 Ole Miss
    2006–2007 Tennessee (AHC/OC/QB)
    2008–present Duke
    2005. I guess it wasn't very long before he resigned to rest after his heart bypass surgery, but I think he forged a relationship with White in that short timeframe. That's my understanding at least. Cutcliffe served as the "Assistant Head Coach" (Offense/QBs) but I'm not sure he was there during any actual games!

Edit: Found this video of Cutcliffe talking about his brief time there:
    https://watchstadium.com/videos/notr...vid-cutcliffe/

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    What is your problem with competition and women’s sports? Guess you think substandard facilities doesn’t matter.
    I was being sarcastic - lighten up. I support non-revenue sports more than 95% of the people here. I think significant resources need to be put behind them. But I also recognize that the AD has to walk a tightrope in terms of funding projects and that often that decision is made for him/her in terms of the priorities set by those donating the money to fund the projects. I am really glad that Koskinen, Katz, Williams, Ambler and Sheffield, among others, put up big sports behind non-rev sports. But the AD will never make everyone happy unless we live in a world with unlimited resources.

I shouldn't have brought it up - I don't want to re-litigate the point again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    2005. I guess it wasn't very long before he resigned to rest after his heart bypass surgery, but I think he forged a relationship with White in that short timeframe. That's my understanding at least. Cutcliffe served as the "Assistant Head Coach" (Offense/QBs) but I'm not sure he was there during any actual games!
    You mean this?
    Post-Ole Miss
    After his stint at Ole Miss, Cutcliffe was hired by head coach Charlie Weis as the assistant head coach and quarterbacks coach at Notre Dame, but health problems forced him to resign before his first season there.[8] In 2005, he underwent successful triple-bypass surgery to correct a 99-percent blocked artery.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

You mean this?
    Yep...Certainly not a long tenure! But perhaps enough to get to know a guy and forge a relationship/impressions. I recall him being pretty positive on White's hiring to Duke and him calling out his prior comfort level with him. Of course, all major coaches are going to say they're enthusiastic about a new AD hire I'd imagine.

In any event, to get back on track, congrats to AD King! Seems like a slam dunk hire!

Uh, Tom Butters (and others) says "Hello".

And if the feelings of some on this board are representative, he better be careful with that last line.
    Tom Butters is the greatest Athletic Director in Duke history. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by TywinBlue View Post
    Oh my! Eddie Cameron?
    Sage Grouse

Quote Originally Posted by TywinBlue View Post
    Oh my! Eddie Cameron?
    That's why it was such a ridiculously sycophantic statement. There were several better ADs at Duke, let alone other universities.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Congrats to Nina! Seems like a very good hire. With regards to hiring someone to replace Coach K, I'm sure there are already several names on the list of potential successors. I don't think this is the type of position where you wait until the person has officially announced their retirement to start looking at possible replacements. I'm also guessing that the selection of the successor will not be the sole decision of the AD but rather a collective decision of several people, including the AD, Coach K, the president of the university and possibly others.
    When Nina King and Kevin White were on the DBR Podcast, they discussed the Kara Lawson hire, and Nina said that they keep a running list of names all the time with qualifications, issues, etc... and update that as things change. So I think they already had Kara on their list, and so the hire was quick and GOOD. I would think they already have active lists for Coach K and Coach Cut.. so they don't start from scratch when the opening happens. The DBR Podcast crew can elaborate and correct me.

Oh my! Eddie Cameron?
    I knew Eddie reasonably well. All I can say is that the job was SO much simpler back then, no Title IX, outside of the major sports most other stuff was like today's intramurals, seriously.

For example, I'd love to see the difference in our athletic dept. budget now vs then...even accounting for inflation, I bet the difference is easily 10x if not more.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I knew Eddie reasonably well. All I can say is that the job was SO much simpler back then, no Title IX, outside of the major sports most other stuff was like today's intramurals, seriously.

For example, I'd love to see the difference in our athletic dept. budget now vs then...even accounting for inflation, I bet the difference is easily 10x if not more.
    What was Harold Bradley's salary?

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Congrats to Nina! Seems like a very good hire. With regards to hiring someone to replace Coach K, I'm sure there are already several names on the list of potential successors. I don't think this is the type of position where you wait until the person has officially announced their retirement to start looking at possible replacements. I'm also guessing that the selection of the successor will not be the sole decision of the AD but rather a collective decision of several people, including the AD, Coach K, the president of the university and possibly others.
    Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    When Nina King and Kevin White were on the DBR Podcast, they discussed the Kara Lawson hire, and Nina said that they keep a running list of names all the time with qualifications, issues, etc... and update that as things change. So I think they already had Kara on their list, and so the hire was quick and GOOD. I would think they already have active lists for Coach K and Coach Cut.. so they don't start from scratch when the opening happens. The DBR Podcast crew can elaborate and correct me.
    The working model in my head is that the AD's of major programs know all the head coaches in football and basketball and know or know of many of the key assistants. Intermediaries like "headhunters" and "agents" are key to this process.. Thus, if an AD turns on the faucet of information to search for a new coach, there is significant water pressure in the system, and a lot of information flows out. This is a complicated way of saying that "launching a search for a coach" in not a "start from scratch" operation.

"Search committees" also play a role, especially if the athletic department needs to raise money to pay for a new coach (or pay an old coach to leave). The search committee can also "sell" the selection to the Board of Trustees and the university community in general.
    Sage Grouse

^ yes, there are companies which specialize in helping schools find coaches, it's a skill that's much in demand.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Devil View Post
    Seriously?

If I’m remembering correctly, at least eight national championships on his watch. An amazing renaissance for a baseball program that had been moribund for decades, including an elegant solution to an intractable facility problem. Softball went from a standing start to a national seed in four years. Best-ever NCAA finishes in fencing, wrestling, and swimming.

If it happens on your watch, you get to take credit.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Actually, you don't have to take the credit. You are given the credit and deservedly so.

What was Harold Bradley's salary?
    It had to be tiny. When he left to go to Texas, my family bought his tiny house at 1903 Northgate Street, located one block away from Club Boulevard School. My brother and I shared a bunk bed in a converted hallway with a closet. I'd love to be able to afford Coach K's house.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Seriously?

If I’m remembering correctly, at least eight national championships on his watch. An amazing renaissance for a baseball program that had been moribund for decades, including an elegant solution to an intractable facility problem. Softball went from a standing start to a national seed in four years. Best-ever NCAA finishes in fencing, wrestling, and swimming.

Fencing, wrestling and swimming. Let's put up a statue.