Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    We shall see. There have been enough blue blood schools with disasters of hires following the departure of a legend for any nominee to be accepted at face value.

For better or worse, duke athletics, and the university as a whole, is run like any other business...and the board would not be doing its job if they allowed a high profile employee to simply appoint their successor. There's a reason the search committee includes 3 current or former trustees. For someone who will undoubtedly be a "brand ambassador," keeping them on board IS a huge consideration, and one that may be enough to put significant weight on their preference, but that decision is up to AD, and not K.

And with the general lack of success K's protegees have had, there are going to be a LOT of questions asked why duke should hire any of them, regardless of K's choice.
    This is why I hope K doesn't make the final choice, though of course he should have abundant input. I just don't follow the logic that the next coach must come from the K tree, because that tree (as you note) has not been especially fruitful.
    I hope we cast a wide net for AD (even if we ultimately choose from within)...We're almost certainly going to need a new hoop and grid coach in the next two years, and we need to make wise choices.

As much as I hate to spend the money on a search firm if you are pretty sure you are going to promote internally, it makes sense to bring in outside candidates to get fresh ideas. I have read about NFL teams that do countless coaching interviews because some of the candidates might give them ideas they can use.

For example, a good Duke AD candidate would be smart to visit DBR. See what the alumni/fans are thinking. If I was on the search committee, I would be impressed by a candidate who came in and said "your football fans think the food service at games stinks. Here is how we do it at my school. It makes for a more pleasing fan experience and we make a lot more money." Despite our best efforts to write letters and complain, the members of the administration might not realize this is a problem, so having a candidate identify a problem and propose a solution could be very helpful, even if we have little intent to hire them.

Obviously, you don't want to waste people's time too much, but having a few competitive candidates come through is never a bad thing.

^ and you never know who might end up expressing interest...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ^ and you never know who might end up expressing interest...
    looks at Ozzie

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    looks at Ozzie
    I knew we'd get there sooner rather than later.

Ozzie certainly gets my vote for the Gameday Tsar tasked with fixing the stuff Duke gets wrong about football fan experience.

Though I do worry about airhorns.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Ozzie certainly gets my vote for the Gameday Tsar tasked with fixing the stuff Duke gets wrong about football fan experience.

Though I do worry about airhorns.
    It's still shocking to me (and I've been a season ticketholder for 36 straight years now) how poorly they do the gameday experience...some of the things they badly need to do wouldn't cost them money, it would make them money (e.g. improved food and beverages).

It's one part of Duke that so very much reminds me of how things were done at Duke 50 years ago..

It's still shocking to me (and I've been a season ticketholder for 36 straight years now) how poorly they do the gameday experience...some of the things they badly need to do wouldn't cost them money, it would make them money (e.g. improved food and beverages).

It's one part of Duke that so very much reminds me of how things were done at Duke 50 years ago..
    Here's what's really bad: the gameday experience has improved immensely from where it was circa 2010 (except for the food which has actually gotten worse because some of the good vendors are gone), but it still pretty much sucks (and I love going to games despite that fact). At least they'll usually let you park now.

unfortunately a lot of it revolves around not having enough staff to deal with it. Someone might be "in charge" of it in name, but has 100 other things they also have to get done, so the status quo reigns.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Here's what's really bad: the gameday experience has improved immensely from where it was circa 2010 (except for the food which has actually gotten worse because some of the good vendors are gone), but it still pretty much sucks (and I love going to games despite that fact). At least they'll usually let you park now.
    you can park for free, but security prevents you from going in anyway
    1200. DDMF.

unfortunately a lot of it revolves around not having enough staff to deal with it. Someone might be "in charge" of it in name, but has 100 other things they also have to get done, so the status quo reigns.
    If that's the reason, they should just turn stuff over to competent vendors. Maybe Durham didn't have any 50 years ago, but it's a pretty good food town now, I have to think someone could improve things...though I concede it's only for six or seven days a year. Still, I've seen much better fare at other places, so I know it can be done. Were I in charge (heaven help us) I'd close all the Duke run stands and allow a massive invasion of food trucks. I recall being in grad school in Philly, never once set foot in a cafeteria, it was food truck heaven...vast array of foods served by people who did it well and quickly. Quickly doesn't happen at Wallace Wade.

Even the food in the exalted Tower sucks, it really does.

If that's the reason, they should just turn stuff over to competent vendors. Maybe Durham didn't have any 50 years ago, but it's a pretty good food town now, I have to think someone could improve things...though I concede it's only for six or seven days a year. Still, I've seen much better fare at other places, so I know it can be done. Were I in charge (heaven help us) I'd close all the Duke run stands and allow a massive invasion of food trucks. I recall being in grad school in Philly, never once set foot in a cafeteria, it was food truck heaven...vast array of foods served by people who did it well and quickly. Quickly doesn't happen at Wallace Wade.

The people preparing the food for the Tower are also preparing food for the student-athletes daily. I hope Duke is feeding the student-athletes well.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    The people preparing the food for the Tower are also preparing food for the student-athletes daily. I hope Duke is feeding the student-athletes well.
    Maybe we could donate some cook books for them? Something better than greasy burgers and dry barbecue...somehow I suspect the athletes do better, but who knows? I bet they get to see the occasional vegetable...

"turn stuff over to competent vendors" is not a 0 effort endeavor either, but next time I see Becca I'll tell her that there's this one simple thing she hasn't thought of that will improve game day experience. Maybe she can get to that between moving rental scooters and bikes that drunk undergrads left off the track so that the team can host a meet (true story). Maybe her next PhD can be in game day food vendoring instead of biomedical engineering

In any case, I agree with the problems, and just try to remind people there ARE humans on the other side (in some cases, very smart, very overworked, and likely underpaid humans), and the reason they don't get fixed isn't always because someone is too lazy or incompetent to do so.
    1200. DDMF.

In any case, I agree with the problems, and just try to remind people there ARE humans on the other side (in some cases, very smart, very overworked, and likely underpaid humans), and the reason they don't get fixed isn't always because someone is too lazy or incompetent to do so.
    Well, the issue is that someone is too lazy or incompetent to do so, it just might not be the person officially in charge of whatever issue is at hand.

ETA: Turning over to vendors isn't 0 effort, but it is an extremely common thing to be done, it isn't like this would be some uncharted territory Duke is venturing into. Without doing any research, I am certain there are companies managing gameday vending for schools and pro leagues all over the country that could be found pretty easily.

I actually haven't been to a Duke home football game since the 2003 season, after which I moved away from North Carolina. I've been to road games and bowl games, but not home games. But I can say I have really come to enjoy hatewatching the gameday experience with you good people. It's almost like being there, but without heatstroke brought on by September day games and 27 bottles of water for the whole stadium.

"turn stuff over to competent vendors" is not a 0 effort endeavor either, but next time I see Becca I'll tell her that there's this one simple thing she hasn't thought of that will improve game day experience. Maybe she can get to that between moving rental scooters and bikes that drunk undergrads left off the track so that the team can host a meet (true story). Maybe her next PhD can be in game day food vendoring instead of biomedical engineering

I can tell you that I do have some knowledge here. Some years ago when I was sitting on the East side on a woefully hot day, I witnessed one of the most pathetic displays of "service" I have ever seen...Virginia Tech was visiting, they brought their usual throng of fans (a very polite bunch, I may add) and they found it virtually impossible to get water. Absolute blithering incompetence, which moved me to call out the guy running the stand and plead with him to "help these people, get people moving." It seemed to have some effect. The "workers" at the stands moved like they'd been hit with a lethargy ray. (Yes, I know, many may be "volunteers. They can still do much, much better).

I followed up with a call to the athletic dept. when I got home, had a lengthy conversation with Boo Corrigan (now AD at State, right?)...he acknowledged my concerns, I noted a definite uptick in service the following week...and then things quickly reverted to their usual, stumbling, bumbling form. Oh well, I tried.

My football travelling pal and I would LOVE to spend some money at Duke football games for decent food, but we don't even bother any more. We grab a couple waters when we enter (before ten people line up and clog the lines) and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I actually haven't been to a Duke home football game since the 2003 season, after which I moved away from North Carolina. I've been to road games and bowl games, but not home games. But I can say I have really come to enjoy hatewatching the gameday experience with you good people. It's almost like being there, but without heatstroke brought on by September day games and 27 bottles of water for the whole stadium.
    Ha, hard to even discuss the propensity to run out of bottled water, something that obviously won't spoil, on days when the forecast is for 90+ degree sun. Somehow I've seen them do this.

ESPN is reporting today that Northwestern is promoting Mike Poliskey to be their new Athletics Director.
    Poliskey had been their Deputy Athletics Director for External Affairs.
    He succeeds Jim Phillips who became our new ACC Commissioner.

I post this because the ESPN article mentions that Nina King, Duke's Senior Deputy AD, was a finalist for the position.

While I understand a search committee has been hard at work to recommend a successor to Kevin White,
    isn't this another bit of evidence that the committee will recommend Nina King as the next Athletics Director at Duke ?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by TywinBlue View Post
    ESPN is reporting today that Northwestern is promoting Mike Poliskey to be their new Athletics Director.
    Poliskey had been their Deputy Athletics Director for External Affairs.
    He succeeds Jim Phillips who became our new ACC Commissioner.

I post this because the ESPN article mentions that Nina King, Duke's Senior Deputy AD, was a finalist for the position.

While I understand a search committee has been hard at work to recommend a successor to Kevin White,
    isn't this another bit of evidence that the committee will recommend Nina King as the next Athletics Director at Duke ?
    I hope they do, but that doesn't make me optimistic. If she was a finalist for NU, that means that she had interest, right? And that's interest knowing that the seat next to hers at Duke is open.
    Maybe she told Northwestern thanks but no, that wonderful things are about to happen, but that seems iffy for her name to pop up in such a story.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."