Page 2933 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 1933243328332883292329312932293329342935294329833033 ... LastLast
Results 58,641 to 58,660 of 67385
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Sure. It'll take me a bit to type things up, and as usual, "recipe" is more a series of loose guidelines for my cooking. But I'm happy to share.
    Yes please. I don't measure anything, so a rough outline sounds great. Side note: I am trying to write down my recipes for my kids to have at their request. Surprisingly hard when you never measure.

Pozole

Ingredients:
    -pork shoulder/Boston butt, about 3 or 3 1/2 lbs
    -chili peppers: 6-8 of your choosing, according to desired heat level; I used a combination of dried Hatch chilis and some of my prepared Hatch chili paste this time
    -hominy: I use canned, about 1 15oz can per pound (err on the heavy side, so for this last batch, I used 4 cans for a 3.5lb shoulder)
    -4-5 cups chicken broth
    -yellow onion
    -3 tbsp minced garlic
    -4 tbsp cumin
    -one bunch cilantro
    -one bunch oregano
    -salt
    -black pepper

1. Start by preparing your pork shoulder with a spice rub: grind half of your chili peppers, half of the cilantro, half of the garlic and half of the cumin into a paste with a touch of olive/other oil; add about 1 tbsp salt to promote flavor penetration. Rub shoulder generously before smoking or searing; I also like to score it a few times to really get the paste in there.
    2. Two options here: either a) give your shoulder a hard sear on all sides in a frying pan or on a griddle, or b) this is my method--smoke it "about halfway" in a standard smoker, 4-5 hours at your usual temp for such a cut (temp is pretty forgiving in this context as long as you don't stay north of 300 for too long). A loose foil wrap is helpful if you smoke...keeps your chili paste contained and also retains some of the juices that render during the smoking, which make a great addition to your stock pot.
    3. Mince the onion, the rest of the cilantro, the oregano, add the rest of the garlic. Saute all of it over medium-high heat until the onions start to sweat, 10ish minutes.
    4. Add onion/herb mixture and pork to a large stock pot or Crock pot. Pour in chicken broth; supplement with water as needed until the shoulder is covered. Add the rest of the cumin and the rest of your chilis, minced as finely as you can get them (or grind them into a paste again with a little liquid or oil). Simmer on the stove top 4-5 hours on medium low, or cook in Crock Pot on low for 8-10 hours (or whatever constitutes "all day" in your life...this is a great recipe to start in the morning and then come home to after work).
    5. Drain hominy and add to the pot for the last 2-3 hours or so of cooking.
    6. Garnish with any or all of the following: fresh chopped cilantro, green onions, pickled (or not) red onions, thin-sliced radishes, queso fresco, fresh sliced hot peppers (I like serranos or anchos), avocado...I'm an "all of the above" type of dude.

pozole.jpg
    topped pozole.jpg

So many things to report about the 1400 mile drive to Florida

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Oooh yes, I love tales from the road. Start spilling!

How’d the tuna hold up?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    How’d the tuna hold up?
    Tuna held up great! But the following two days of road food was just horrible though not too surprising. Epically bad meal at a steakhouse in Lumberton N C. Memorable lunch stop at Burger King in Georgia where I ordered a fish sandwich. We were the only car there at 11 a m. Bit into sandwich in parking lot and found it to be a fried chicken sandwich with bacon. Went to rest room. They can’t screw that up, right? Bathroom was closed so I used the ladies room. Desperate times my friends. South Carolina official rest stop on I-95 grossest ever Grim and dirty. Saw lots of air activity on Balloon Day but no balloon. Did see epic view if Spacex launch last night from our front lawn. Excellent! Eating mountains of grouper 🐟

Tuna held up great! But the following two days of road food was just horrible though not too surprising. Epically bad meal at a steakhouse in Lumberton N C. Memorable lunch stop at Burger King in Georgia where I ordered a fish sandwich. We were the only car there at 11 a m. Bit into sandwich in parking lot and found it to be a fried chicken sandwich with bacon. Went to rest room. They can’t screw that up, right? Bathroom was closed so I used the ladies room. Desperate times my friends. South Carolina official rest stop on I-95 grossest ever Grim and dirty. Saw lots of air activity on Balloon Day but no balloon. Did see epic view if Spacex launch last night from our front lawn. Excellent! Eating mountains of grouper 🐟
    Does Richmond still have the 25 cent tolls every 5 miles? They bugged the crap out of me in the 70’s when I was burning up I-95 and I-85 between Baltimore and Charlotte. Caused massive traffic jams

Stop at South of the Border? If not, Pedro will be upset.

If you need a clean bathroom, you can’t beat Buc-ees.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Does Richmond still have the 25 cent tolls every 5 miles? They bugged the crap out of me in the 70’s when I was burning up I-95 and I-85 between Baltimore and Charlotte. Caused massive traffic jams

Circumvented DC, Ballmer and Richmond by doing Delmarva peninsula route 13. But driving thru Norfolk area was a construction mess. Formerly tedious tolls like in Garden State relieved by E Z Pass which is a huge improvement. Pedro does not have all the signs of olde but he has a lot. Did not know what to make of bucees signs so now I know! A but creepy, big rodent like that 🦫

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    If you need a clean bathroom, you can’t beat Buc-ees.
    Also if you need astoundingly good gas station food. And pork rinds. And a terrific candy selection. And a new cooler. And a camp chair. And a fuzzy onesie that'll make you look like a beaver. And a waffle iron. And a windchime. And some socks.

Also if you need astoundingly good gas station food. And pork rinds. And a terrific candy selection. And a new cooler. And a camp chair. And a fuzzy onesie that'll make you look like a beaver. And a waffle iron. And a windchime. And some socks.
    Don’t forget brisket and jerky.

Seriously, though, the bathrooms are immaculate.

Never been there, but it sounds something like Wall Drug.

The bathrooms are amazing - clean, large, and the doors go to the floor on the Women’s restroom but I don't know ow about the men's. I have looked at the Jerky bar but haven't sampled. Liked the breakfast sandwich. Great opportunity to shop for things you really don't need.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Never been there, but it sounds something like Wall Drug.
    If South Dakota had been born in Texas!

You packed tuna fish and got a BK fish sandwich off 95? Dude….

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post

Speaking of things that are amazing in their continued existence...

Just had dinner with OPK. If his messages get Twitchy for the next little bit there is no correlation.

Turkey sucks.

Turkey sucks.
    Hahaha!

Enjoyed it, travel safe when you complete your business in my fine city.