Page 25 of 46 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    McCallie has nine healthy players, eight of whom might play in a competitive game, seven of whom will play major minutes in a competitive game.

Of all the things to get into a snizzy about, McCallie's implied dissing of her ninth player seems pretty small change to me.

That's the way coaches talk.
    In my original post, I stated:
    There were 14 players on the roster at the beginning of the season. Craig was dismissed. Treece transferred. Lambert, Boykin, and Nwoke are out with injuries. That leaves nine players, by my count.

Second, the only time the team can rest is on offense? I understand wanting to slow the game down, but resting on offense?

The point that I was making was that the statement about resting on offense seemed quite odd. There was no snizzy about the number of players.

Quote Originally Posted by CamrnCrz1974 View Post
    There were 14 players on the roster at the beginning of the season. Craig was dismissed. Treece transferred. Lambert, Boykin, and Nwoke are out with injuries. That leaves nine players, by my count.

Second, the only time the team can rest is on offense? I understand wanting to slow the game down, but resting on offense?

The point that I was making was that the statement about resting on offense seemed quite odd. There was no snizzy about the number of players.
    Seems like another way of saying we'll try to slow the game down.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Except that many coaches teach play hard on defense and rest on offense. Since offense is when the team controls the ball and so is able to control tempo, when else would you be able to rest? If you take a breath on defense, you will find yourself watching the other team go unimpeded to the basket.

Quote Originally Posted by SueAxe View Post
    Except that many coaches teach play hard on defense and rest on offense. Since offense is when the team controls the ball and so is able to control tempo, when else would you be able to rest? If you take a breath on defense, you will find yourself watching the other team go unimpeded to the basket.
    Ideally you'd be in good enough shape to wear the other teams down, as the guys are able to do this year, and the 1980 hockey team did...but this obviously only works until you run into a team equally as able to run around for 2 hours (though our men have a built in advantage)
    April 1

I wasn't responding to your original post. I was responding to a later post, where you seemed quite concerned about the number of players at McCallie's disposal.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Ideally you'd be in good enough shape to wear the other teams down, as the guys are able to do this year, and the 1980 hockey team did...but this obviously only works until you run into a team equally as able to run around for 2 hours (though our men have a built in advantage)
    Bottom line was that you seemed to find her statement odd when it is hardly an unsurprising or rare coaching philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by SueAxe View Post
    Bottom line was that you seemed to find her statement odd when it is hardly an unsurprising or rare coaching philosophy.
    uhhh...i don't think I said that...
    April 1

Paris Kea out sick tonight.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I wasn't responding to your original post. I was responding to a later post, where you seemed quite concerned about the number of players at McCallie's disposal.
    Jim Corrigan made a comment at the chAlk talk on Sunday. He said (in response to a question about why the team doesn’t play more man D) that team “really only has eight healthy players.” I took that to imply that Emily is still not fully recovered from her knee injury before her freshman year. Or, that she’ll never fully recover and is more limited that hoped, and can/will only play in blowouts.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Lady Heels got very hot from outside, and are sinking threes from Greensboro. That's gonna be tough to beat if they keep that up.
    Overall, not much to criticize about our game, except to make less silly turnovers. (That's a constant.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

After jumping out to a 12-6 lead halfway through the first quarter, Duke sees UNC go on a 18-6 run in the ensuing 5 minutes. Committing 5 turnovers to 1 for the opponent and missing several layups will make things go south quickly against a team with momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Lady Heels got very hot from outside, and are sinking threes from Greensboro. That's gonna be tough to beat if they keep that up.
    Overall, not much to criticize about our game, except to make less silly turnovers. (That's a constant.)
    Most of the turnovers have come from trying to force the ball inside.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    If we weren't turning it over as often, this game would be looking like a blowout in Duke's favor. Our women are playing a solid game except in protecting the ball. Keep it up!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Great run, and Sylvia has to take a TO.

Question to those who typically watch our home games on the ACC Network. Are our announcers as annoying as these cheater-Homer’s?

Duke ends half on 18-2 run, leads 40-31 at intermission. Getting something positive from all five starters, which hasn't happened much lately.

Into the locker room, ahead by 9, playing the best basketball I've seen from this team this year. They even toned down the turnovers the last 8 minutes or so.
    I swear I heard a LGD cheer as the last minute started.
    GTHC!!!

GTH, C, GTH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Every sport. Every day. Every breath.

Sylvia Hatchell's bobblehead looks more like Ellen than Sylvia.

Into the locker room, ahead by 9, playing the best basketball I've seen from this team this year. They even toned down the turnovers the last 8 minutes or so.
    GTHC!!!
    There is a Duke contingent here. And that Duke run did take the crowd out of it.

GTHC!!!
    Looking at the “crowd” during the broadcast, I’m not surprised the hardy Duke fans are making more noise.