Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Game Day! Opening Weekend Celebration

Historically, today kicks off a four day weekend for me full of buzzer beaters, beers, and brackets. Due to some work complications, I'll be somewhat hampered in those pursuits today and tomorrow, but it certainly doesn't lessen my enthusiasm.

This is my favorite weekend in all of sports. I love the upsets, the near upsets, the emotion, the split-screens, the announcers, the drama, the rooms of people losing their minds... So much possibility. Is there any other sport that manages to break the hearts of the fan bases of fifty teams in less than a week?

I'd like this thread to just follow the FUN of the next four days. If you want to talk about scandals, tripping, commentator bias, bad calls, or politics, please post in another thread. If you want to celebrate and amazing end, a near-miss, a play, a shot, or a player, please join me!

What a fun weekend - this tournament promises more surprises than any I can remember in recent years.

Let's Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Historically, today kicks off a four day weekend for me full of buzzer beaters, beers, and brackets. Due to some work complications, I'll be somewhat hampered in those pursuits today and tomorrow, but it certainly doesn't lessen my enthusiasm.

This is my favorite weekend in all of sports. I love the upsets, the near upsets, the emotion, the split-screens, the announcers, the drama, the rooms of people losing their minds... So much possibility. Is there any other sport that manages to break the hearts of the fan bases of fifty teams in less than a week?

I'd like this thread to just follow the FUN of the next four days. If you want to talk about scandals, tripping, commentator bias, bad calls, or politics, please post in another thread. If you want to celebrate and amazing end, a near-miss, a play, a shot, or a player, please join me!

What a fun weekend - this tournament promises more surprises than any I can remember in recent years.

Let's Go Duke!
    Four days of drinking. In bars. With split screens. Yeah, best long weekend in sports. And it ain't even close.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Totally agreed. One year, my mom flew out to visit me, and we just watched games all day/evening, ordering in food as necessary. That was the best. I'm glad Duke plays early, so I can hopefully watch the rest of the day (uh, while working, of course), cheering for upsets and great games. So fun!

Here's to hoping my boss doesn't make his way to my cube today

Quote Originally Posted by Selover View Post
    Here's to hoping my boss doesn't make his way to my cube today
    The blessing and curse of being your own boss... no one is busting me for being on here or watching today... but I'm also the buck-stopper when it comes to staffing issues, so I'm rather chained to my job today.

The blessing and curse of being your own boss... no one is busting me for being on here or watching today... but I'm also the buck-stopper when it comes to staffing issues, so I'm rather chained to my job today.
    I'm in the same boat here. Our corporate culture encourages heavy basketball watching over the first weekend (and for the duration) of the tournament.

I took on six hours of work over Friday and Saturday to pay for the new 50" 4K television and snacks for the weekend. Other than that work, it will be non-stop hoops.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I'm in the same boat here. Our corporate culture encourages heavy basketball watching over the first weekend (and for the duration) of the tournament.

I took on six hours of work over Friday and Saturday to pay for the new 50" 4K television and snacks for the weekend. Other than that work, it will be non-stop hoops.
    Your job pays you more than mine does!

Let's Go Duke!

Your job pays you more than mine does!

Let's Go Duke!
    No, it's a Vizio, but it's decent. It is a lot of snacks though. Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin is my vice.

Seriously though, I can't remember the last time that our Blue Devils opened up the tournament as the first Thursday game and not as a #1 seed. I am nervous/excited about the tournament, but also feel like I am about to throw up because of our first game. I have never had to deal with both at once, as far as I can remember. The cumulative effect is just that I feel more nauseated.

"Working from home" here. Can't wait to see some of you guys in chat!

Players

The players make the first weekend to me. Watching which kid comes out and carries his team to victory. Last second heroics, 30 point games, a defensive stop in the closing seconds. Its all about the stars. So here is my prediction list of who is going to show out this first day of the Tourney. Some will be obvious some will be people you may not have heard of. Here we go!!!!

AJ English from Iona is the type of player who can get a team to the sweet 16 by himself. Hes an extremely talented player.

Justin Sears- Yale, look for him to give Baylor fits all day

Jameel Warney- Stoney Brook Kid just came off a 40 point game and has about 30 pounds on LEE from Kentucky

Josh Scott Colorado, If Colorado is going to win its going to be because of him

Kellen Dunham from Butler, something tells me this kid will do something great this weekend

Finally our very own Brandon Ingram- UNCW wont be able to hold him, and neither will the winner of Yale/Baylor. He will be the MVP of our first mini tournament.

Have fun!!

Green Room

Well, we're sitting in the round of 32 with one other team... UConn.

Will someone else please step up and join us? It smells in here.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Well, we're sitting in the round of 32 with one other team... UConn.

Will someone else please step up and join us? It smells in here.
    A good Butler is invisible, and knows where the air freshener is. Also, they advanced before UConn did.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    A good Butler is invisible, and knows where the air freshener is. Also, they advanced before UConn did.
    No wonder is smells... all these stinky dogs! And the carpet is green. Ack!

(I couldn't spork you, Brev, but good call. I missed it. Watched Duke game live w/a friend then sped home to catch Baylor/Yale. Switched to radio en route. Got confused.)

Is Spike Lee, Charles Barkley, and Sam Jackson singing The Pina Colada song funny? I must be missing something.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    I'm at Buffalo Wild Wings, got a nice Pils and 3 screens in front of me. Fun time of year!

WOW! Little Rock was on the ropes… 18-5 run in the last 3:19 to force OT. This is why they call it madness.

Miami unis + orange shoes = clown suit
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Duke, Yale, Kansas, UConn, UVA, Butler, Iowa State, and Arkansas Little Rock... I picked 'em all! Eight for eight and my Blue Devils advance in the first game of the day! Perfect first half!!!!!

http://games.espn.go.com/tournament-...ntryID=1993888

Quote Originally Posted by Doria View Post
    Totally agreed. One year, my mom flew out to visit me, and we just watched games all day/evening, ordering in food as necessary. That was the best. I'm glad Duke plays early, so I can hopefully watch the rest of the day (uh, while working, of course), cheering for upsets and great games. So fun!
    You, me, your mom, and beer, now that's a parrrrtaaaaaeeee!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    You, me, your mom, and beer, now that's a parrrrtaaaaaeeee!
    What a great first day of games... I can only think of one way it could have been better.

Seriously, that AK-Little Rock v. Perdue game was the bees' knees.