Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    My wife's car pretty much died yesterday. I won't bore you too much with the details but the mechanic is pretty sure the engine is toast. After doing some reading online last night, I suspected that was going to be what they told me today. It's a 2014 Mazda CX-9 with 150k miles on it. When I look at the value of the car (I used edmunds) it was around $9k with a good engine. The shop gave me 2 estimates to replace the engine: used engine $8k, new engine $9.5k. They said the new engine was on backorder until August 23rd and they might take weeks to get the used one installed as well.

If I decide not to replace the engine we'll look to sell the car in some way. I suspect it'll be a salvage yard. Anyone have any experience with this and know what our options are? Anyone have any idea what a salvage yard might give us for an SUV in decent shape (except for the actual engine)?
    I got 1100. For a saab station wagon turbo my daughter ran into the ground.
    That was a decade ago.

Yeah, we are at the point where the repair cost is about equal to the value of the car. It's not in above average shape and we don't love it enough to have a new $10k engine put in it or a used $8k engine put in it that'll have the same flaw as the one that just went belly up.

Apparently, this is just not going to be our week. Lightning just struck VERY close the house...scared the heck out of all us. When I went into the garage to grab a beer, I noticed by beer fridge wasn't on. The lighting strike came thru the sprinkler system, blew the door to the sprinkler control open, blew the dial off the controller, fried the two electrical outlets in the garage and triggered the breaker. I flipped the breaker back but the outlets are no good. The one where the sprinkler system was plugged up is blackened. I'm actually glad that the garage door openers still work (different circuit). Guess my next post will be "Advice: how much will an electrician cost" so I know if I should make an insurance claim. Sigh I'm going to need more (warm) beer.
    I installed surge protectors after something simular .they seem like wasted money until you need them.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    I installed surge protectors after something simular .they seem like wasted money until you need them.
    After two house fires caused by lightning in the neighborhood, the prior owner of a house I had in OH bought a lightning rod system and a whole house surge protector. That didn't stop lightning from taking out a nearby tree and zapping one of my TVs at the same time.

Whole house surge protectors aren't expensive. Most are under $200. I have one made by Eaton, and I think I paid about $75 to have it installed next to my breaker panel. Took about 30 minutes. I can't remember where I got the recommendation for that brand/model, but I haven't had any reason to think about it since it was installed. Also, I still have individual surge protectors for important electronics, computers, etc. Belt and suspenders, I guess.

Either I've been lucky, or the thing actually works.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    As long as you’re having an electrician in the garage, have them run a 50A, 240V line out there, with a 14-50 outlet. Then call your local VW and Hyundai dealers and see if you can get an ID.4 or Ioniq5.
    Dropped by a Hyundai dealer today just to give my wife a chance to see a Santa Fe, they had an Ioniq5 there. I love the look of that. After we left, stopped for gas and an ID.4 pulled in the gas station (just for a drink, not gas). Pointed them both out to her. My wife isn't ready for an EV yet (I am but now that we are doing an unplanned purchase, I'm going to have to wait a bit longer).

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I love my Hyundai Santa Fe. It’s a 2019 awd turbo and just passed 50,000 miles on the odometer. Gonna keep it a while. It replaced a 2017 Santa Fe which replaced a 2015 Santa Fe. Before those I had three Hyundai Sonatas (2007, 12 and 13s). The reliability and drivability of Hyundais has been outstanding.
    Thanks Ozzie, we sat in a 2020 and a 2022 (liked both). Right now it's at the top of our list.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    If it just fried the one circuit that the sprinkler was on, then the breaker did it's job and you're cost won't be too bad. You need to open up your panel and see if there is any sign of other damage. Also, check every electronic device in the house plugged in to see if they are still OK.
    That was what I was thinking. I was checking devices last night. Still have some stuff to check but so far:
    - the two outlets in the garage don't work
    - a light on the corner of the garage doesn't work (another outdoor light on the same circuit does work)
    - outdoor outlet in the back of the house seems to be out (might be same circuit as garage, however)
    - Cable box in living room won't talk to TV. Had to reboot the TV and the Roku stick. We can watch TV in there on the Spectrum app but the Cable box (which is on and reponsive) doesn't seem to be talking to the TV. I'm going to have to find a HDMI cable long enough to run directly and see what I can figure out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 15 View Post
    Whole house surge protectors aren't expensive. Most are under $200. I have one made by Eaton, and I think I paid about $75 to have it installed next to my breaker panel. Took about 30 minutes. I can't remember where I got the recommendation for that brand/model, but I haven't had any reason to think about it since it was installed. Also, I still have individual surge protectors for important electronics, computers, etc. Belt and suspenders, I guess.

Thanks for the surge protector idea, I'll discuss it with the electrician...one I find one next week.

Oh man I got ripped off then. I paid 225
    For the one on the ac .then 3 plus for my breaker box .
    I run plugins aswell.

Oh man I got ripped off then. I paid 225
    For the one on the ac .then 3 plus for my breaker box .
    I run plugins aswell.
    No, you didn’t get ripped off. Different models have different surge capacities and additional protection modes. One size doesn’t fit all. And different electricians charge differently.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

FYI

No, you didn’t get ripped off. Different models have different surge capacities and additional protection modes. One size doesn’t fit all. And different electricians charge differently.
    https://www.homeadvisor.com/cost/ele...rge-protector/

Bottom line: The average cost (installed) of a whole house surge protector is $300. The range is $70 to $700.

That may be it .as long as I have them.
    I'm at one of the highest elevations of the neighborhood.

https://www.homeadvisor.com/cost/ele...rge-protector/

Bottom line: The average cost (installed) of a whole house surge protector is $300. The range is $70 to $700.
    I don't remember how I found the recommendation for my Eaton unit, but here is an online review of different brands:

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/bes...rge-protector/

Since I found it on the internets, it must be true...

My mom drove a 1997 Camry. In ~2008 the engine inexplicably blew. The car had low mileage (less than 60,000). It also had leather seats and was in otherwise great condition. I think we sold it for $800 to a guy who had an engine he was going to put in it.

The salvage yard offered us $1650 for the car. Probably just take it and move forward...

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Goodwill used to take cars, and used them to train people for employment in the auto repair business. Not sure if they still do, but that’s what I did with a Bonneville many moons ago.

The tax donation laws have a changed a bit too — you may be limited on the value you can claim.
    I am not a tax guy, but yes, the rules have changed. Once upon a time you could claim fair market value (blue book). Now the charity has to give you a statement showing what they sold it for and that's all you can claim, unless they actually use it for their charitable purpose.
    https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/charitable-organizations/irs-guidance-explains-rules-for-vehicle-donations

I'm still ticked that the local place that accepts donated cars wouldn't take my Volvo wagon which was in good shape...they said they didn't like turbo engines, even though Volvo turbos have been around forever, and perform well.
    So I sold it to a neighbor and he ran it for a number of years without problems.

The salvage yard offered us $1650 for the car. Probably just take it and move forward...
    That seems like a good offer to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    I am not a tax guy, but yes, the rules have changed. Once upon a time you could claim fair market value (blue book). Now the charity has to give you a statement showing what they sold it for and that's all you can claim, unless they actually use it for their charitable purpose.
    https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/charitable-organizations/irs-guidance-explains-rules-for-vehicle-donations
    Years ago I donated an old GMC (Chevy) Astro 8-passenger van to our local Kidney Kars. They gave me a tax deduction of the greater of the Kelly Blue Book or $500... I got the $500 I even told them the battery was less than a year old, and they told me to take it out and keep it... I didn't want it. So even if the vehicle doesn't run, they will take it (back then, at least). Best part... the feeling of donating to a worthy charity.

That's great. I paid 1500 for a 2002 f150 lariat that runs very well.its faster than my tundra .

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    That seems like a good offer to me.
    That's great. I paid 1500 for a 2002 f150 lariat that runs very well.its faster than my tundra .
    Seems like a decent offer to me too all things considered. I'm going down to Clemson with my youngest daughter for freshman orientation so I told the guy I'd reach out on Monday. Tough time to have to buy a car. I usually but something 2 years old with 20-20k miles on it at a great discount. Right now, a 2 year old used car is going for almost as much as a new one.