Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

NFL 2020 Offseason Thread

So the NFL is going to dominate the news cycle in March given other sports on hold. Been a wild day, thus far:

1. The Texans got ahead of the COVID-19 pandemic by preemptively planning to play in front of no home fans for 2020.

2. Baker has his tight end. Will it matter?

3. Dak and Henry got franchised.

4. Where will Rivers and Dalton end up?

5. When does TB12 decide to finally sign with NE and get out of the news cycle?

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    So the NFL is going to dominate the news cycle in March given other sports on hold. Been a wild day, thus far:

1. The Texans got ahead of the COVID-19 pandemic by preemptively planning to play in front of no home fans for 2020.

I heard Antonio Brown ate a pangolin and that's why coronavirus.

I kid, I kid...

1. Also big news for Texans who just sent Deandre Hopkins to the Cardinals. Why, I don't know.
    2. No. Being a hard-nosed, self-assured SOB can get you to the NFL but I'm not sure his attitude or talent is built for the long term.
    3. Dallas has their franchise and a new coach. Let's see if they can become relevant again for the first time in, gasp, two freaking decades!
    4. Getting Romo's coffee?
    5. I dunno. I'm not convinced Belichick doesn't want his legacy expanded beyond Brady...

1. The Texans got ahead of the COVID-19 pandemic by preemptively planning to play in front of no home fans for 2020. ..
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post

1. Also big news for Texans who just sent Deandre Hopkins to the Cardinals. Why, I don't know.

Tex Devil answered: to ensure no home fans ...

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Tex Devil answered: to ensure no home fans ...
    You must spread comments. Well played.

Perhaps I was too subtle. It’s one of the worst trades in NFL history. Look at OBJ trade last year and compare.

Sadly, if the Panthers didn’t play in 2020-2021, not sure I’d notice.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Sadly, if the Panthers didn’t play in 2020-2021, not sure I’d notice.
    What if no one played?

Perhaps I was too subtle. It’s one of the worst trades in NFL history. Look at OBJ trade last year and compare.
    Ugh. I definitely whiffed but in my defense there is so much COVID craziness that your statement seemed plausible.

not that I care, but just saw that Tom Brady is gone from New England, so someone else will be playing a 45 year old QB...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    not that I care, but just saw that Tom Brady is gone from New England, so someone else will be playing a 45 year old QB...
    Minor correction. Someone else will be paying a 45 year old QB.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    He called his time in New England the "happiest two decades of my life". Okay, fine, but that's out of 4, the first of which he probably only has a handful of memories from and the second of which includes puberty and being a teenager. So...kind of a dumb statement, Tom.

Worst in NFL history? I'm not so sure, and I'm not sure its close. Houston didn't make out like bandits, but DJ looked the part of an elite running back early in his career and I suspect we see him return to form somewhat. You're going to be hard pressed to get a first round pick and a starting caliber RB in exchange for a WR, no matter how good he is. Cleveland way overpaid for OBJ, I thought that at the time and I think the results speak for themselves.

I'll reserve judgement until I see what they do with that 2nd rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Worst in NFL history? I'm not so sure, and I'm not sure its close. Houston didn't make out like bandits, but DJ looked the part of an elite running back early in his career and I suspect we see him return to form somewhat. You're going to be hard pressed to get a first round pick and a starting caliber RB in exchange for a WR, no matter how good he is. Cleveland way overpaid for OBJ, I thought that at the time and I think the results speak for themselves.

I'll reserve judgement until I see what they do with that 2nd rounder.
    In today's NFL trading a top 5 WR for an oft-injured RB is insane. Both have 2 years remaining on their deals so it isn't a huge Cap space deal. Has to be more to that deal (like Hopkins wanted out and the Texans had to settle for what they could get).

Panthers are letting Cam negotiate with other teams. This is potentially good news (I am not a Cam hater, but I think it is time to move on), or it would be if it didn't appear that the Panthers' QB target is Teddy Bridgewater.

1. Not sure what the Texans are doing, bonkers.

2. Tightend isn't am issue for them, not sure why they paid up for a tight end. Until they fix that line, poor Baker is gonna look average or worse. Talented but that line is a wreck.

3. Smart and smart. Gotta extend Dak though and soonish.

4. TV accounted time maybe?

5. That was short lived. Bye bye Brady, hope he and NE both have a great year.

Now I just gotta understand the Panthers... Not even gonna bring back Cam, idiots.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Panthers tell Cam it's over, sign Teddy Bridgewater from Saints. I like three move, it was time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Panthers tell Cam it's over, sign Teddy Bridgewater from Saints. I like three move, it was time to move on.
    Except that doing it in this order torpedoed his trade value. They'll likely have to release Cam for nothing, which is dumb. You trade Cam first before you show any interest in other QBs, much less before it is reported you'll be signing one. If that means missing out on Bridgewater, that is no great loss.

Except that doing it in this order torpedoed his trade value. They'll likely have to release Cam for nothing, which is dumb. You trade Cam first before you show any interest in other QBs, much less before it is reported you'll be signing one. If that means missing out on Bridgewater, that is no great loss.
    Except that potential trade partners would ALSO have the option to sign Bridgewater, and thus not need Cam. Signing Bridgewater lessens the pool of viable stating QBs, which elevates Cam's value somewhat.

I'm still in the camp that Cam is a top 7 to 10 qb and would like to see if he has recovered from the injury. Teddy 2 gloves is what I would consider an elite backup but average to below average as a full time starter. Play out this year with Cam, draft a qb or if you think Cam is cooked and still play Cam until start of next season.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Except that potential trade partners would ALSO have the option to sign Bridgewater, and thus not need Cam. Signing Bridgewater lessens the pool of viable stating QBs, which elevates Cam's value somewhat.
    Except now teams know they'll be cutting Cam if nobody trades for him, eliminating his value.