Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Duke Blue Planet is back (according to Coach Nolan)

Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Thumbs up

sweet

Cool that they're bringing it back although much of the content is basically on their Instagram account but I realize not everybody likes following it that way. If you don't follow DukeMBB on Instagram, I highly encourage you to do so as that seems to be their #1 source of sharing videos, images, and the like with the outside fanbase. They also livestream shootarounds before games and the like. The thing I don't like about Instagram (and social media in general), is the videos are always crazy short (as Instagram caps the duration and they've made a concerted effort to keep them short). So, I'm hoping DukeBluePlanet brings back the longer vids, which it appears the first installment is!

Thanks for posting the link. That was fun! LGD GTHc!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

This Blue Planet video get the compliment sandwich.

I love that we get this kind of extra access to the team.

However, I much prefer the less glossy and produced post-game interviews Blue Planet has been known to release. This video felt like an endless travelogue montage occasionally interrupted by a jarring selfie-stick recorded first person soundbite. I guess the Duke brand is all polish but I prefer when Blue Planet is a little more scraggly. Now that Carrawell is back, I am hoping we get some of his unvarnished takes.

That being said, these little video hits are good reps for the players in dealing with the media and building their social media presence.

Personal note - I don't think I could have eaten a meal in that Tower restaurant...vertigo aint just a Hitchcock movie.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Thanks for posting the link. That was fun! LGD GTHc!
    Cheers. I do my best to give back to this forum just to try and keep up with all the other Dukewise people that add so much value/knowledge around here.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!

Episode 2 -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMzENq8-jmU

-Nice dorms!
    -Zion is ebullient
    -I assume that swank eating area where the team is hanging before the football game is that new section of Cameron - also very nice!
    -I believe I heard Zion say he was taking "Disney Writing". Dream up a happy ending for the 2018/19 team, young fella!
    -I love that the squad gets their lunches packed for them...it's good to be the king

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Episode 2 -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMzENq8-jmU

-Nice dorms!
    -Zion is ebullient
    -I assume that swank eating area where the team is hanging before the football game is that new section of Cameron - also very nice!
    -I believe I heard Zion say he was taking "Disney Writing". Dream up a happy ending for the 2018/19 team, young fella!
    -I love that the squad gets their lunches packed for them...it's good to be the king
    Much better than the dorms the freshmen were in in 2010 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98oYIfCOz2A

Great episode 2 - thanks for posting! I assume that's the new "megadorm" that was just built with suite style living. But somebody has to tell me that those rooms are normally doubles and they just converted them to singles for the bball players. If that's not the case, man, current Duke students are spoiled!!! 😉 I did find the window A/C odd as all Duke dorms have Central air now but perhaps it's "supplemental" a/c. And yes, I did not have a/c freshman year at Duke either..harumph!

Much better than my daughters room in Alspaugh.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!

Nolan looks so tiny next to Zion.

So is Zion in line to be the People's Champ II ???

Also found this... again, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwLA...&feature=share

Feature on the People's Champ I.

Interestingly, he says, at the end, he's not saying goodbye, because he'll be BACK!!!!

GO DUKE!!!
    Last edited by gep; 09-07-2018 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    So is Zion in line to be the People's Champ II ???

Also found this... again, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwLA...&feature=share

Feature on the People's Champ I.

Interestingly, he says, at the end, he's not saying goodbye, because he'll be BACK!!!!

GO DUKE!!!
    Man, that really brings back memories. I had just about forgotten how "great" Nolan Smith was. I'm glad he's back as part of the Duke Basketball Coaching Staff. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Great episode 2 - thanks for posting! I assume that's the new "megadorm" that was just built with suite style living. But somebody has to tell me that those rooms are normally doubles and they just converted them to singles for the bball players. If that's not the case, man, current Duke students are spoiled!!! 😉 I did find the window A/C odd as all Duke dorms have Central air now but perhaps it's "supplemental" a/c. And yes, I did not have a/c freshman year at Duke either..harumph!
    Pretty sure the freshmen on the team are still in the old dorms without central A/C. I spotted a radiator and two of the exterior "let's go inside the dorm" shots were of the main quad dorms. The interior doors were the old solid wood ones. In my time the freshmen had a designated space on the first floor of Bassett. From the footage it looks like they took space that would normally have 5-6 double rooms and gutted them to make the series of suites.

Quote Originally Posted by GWrangler View Post
    Pretty sure the freshmen on the team are still in the old dorms without central A/C. I spotted a radiator and two of the exterior "let's go inside the dorm" shots were of the main quad dorms. The interior doors were the old solid wood ones. In my time the freshmen had a designated space on the first floor of Bassett. From the footage it looks like they took space that would normally have 5-6 double rooms and gutted them to make the series of suites.
    Hmmm, good point. Yeah, bball players were in Bassett when I was at Duke too. I thought Duke said there aren't any no a/c dorms left, but maybe that's just for West. Well, I wasn't allowed to have a window A/C on my second floor either even if I paid for it...Regardless, cool to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    and a nice episode called Culture...worth watching.

In episode 3 we find out that Jack is a Man City fan...
    Last edited by Furniture; 09-12-2018 at 07:11 PM.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!

and a nice episode called Culture...worth watching.

In episode 3 we find out that Jack is a Man City fan...
    All of these are essential viewing. The American Tobacco loft, where Jack and Javin live, seems really nice. I guess it's the modern equivalent of the loft apartments on 9th Street which were new in the late 80s/early 90s. If players choose to live off campus, does Duke pay the rent or does that fall back on the player/family? I would think the later.

Aside from the Man City flag, it is interesting how popular the FIFA game is. I have seen articles claiming that it is a significant reason why soccer fandom has risen in the US over the past few years.

The "Culture" video is instructive for those whole like to try and discern the "truth" from the Pravda-esque sheen of Duke Blue Planet. Note - I am only poking fun with the house organ reference, I don't expect the program to put out balanced content. Every year K tells us how much the team likes each other and hangs out with each other. In this Culture video, however, there are many references to recent teams having cliques and that this team seems different. I hope it's true, but it is always interesting to hear how teams are discussed after they pass through vs how they are discussed while they are playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    If players choose to live off campus, does Duke pay the rent or does that fall back on the player/family? I would think the later.
    They get a stipend, up to a certain amount. Several years ago a sportswriter whose name I can't remember wrote about how getting rid of mandatory on campus housing can provide a boost to basketball programs, because players can find less expensive housing off campus and live together to save even more money, and then pocket the difference. Essentially coaches can offer to "pay" students for coming to their school in the form of surplus housing allowance.

None of our players are roughing it, but I do like the idea that they live in more modest housing. Not like the bajillion dollar basketball player-only dorms at Kentucky and Kansas.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    They get a stipend, up to a certain amount. Several years ago a sportswriter whose name I can't remember wrote about how getting rid of mandatory on campus housing can provide a boost to basketball programs, because players can find less expensive housing off campus and live together to save even more money, and then pocket the difference. Essentially coaches can offer to "pay" students for coming to their school in the form of surplus housing allowance.

Curious - is the stipend an NCAA thing or a Duke thing?