View Poll Results: What will be the result of the Midterms (vote twice!!)

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • GOP holds the House

7 14.58%
  • Dems win the House by less than 12 seats

20 41.67%
  • Dems win the House by 12-25 seats

12 25.00%
  • Dems win the House by 25-38 seats

7 14.58%
  • Dems win the House by 38+ seats

1 2.08%
  • GOP gains 1 or more seats in the Senate (52-48 or more)

29 60.42%
  • GOP holds the same number of seats in the Senate (51-49)

7 14.58%
  • GOP loses seats but still holds the Senate (50-50 with Pence breaking tie)

7 14.58%
  • Dems win the Senate (49-51 or more)

2 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 93 of 94 FirstFirst ... 438391929394 LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,860 of 1870
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    There seems to be some indication that the med school students did not choose the pictures on the pages, that some of the pictures were selected by the yearbook editors and placed on those pages, generally because the picture showed the student but sometimes for seemingly random reasons. Still, Northam's reaction to all this has been so wishy-washy and confused that he appears to be dead man walking.
    What is the basis for this speculation?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    What is the basis for this speculation?
    I can't recall where I read it, but it was out there over the weekend. Sorry, I don't have a better source than my memory from reading it.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I can't recall where I read it, but it was out there over the weekend. Sorry, I don't have a better source than my memory from reading it.
    I know Northam made this claim but I haven't seen it verified by a third party. Doesn't mean it hasn't been, just that I haven't seen it.

To add to the chaos in Virginia, the same blog that uncovered Northam's yearbook has a story up accusing (without naming him directly) Justin Fairfax of sexual assault at the 2004 Democratic National Convention. Fairfax issued a statement denying the allegation in very strong and categorical terms. Fairfax also claims that the accuser approached the Washington Post more than a year ago and the Post decided against running the story based on "red flags and inconsistencies."

There are now reports that Northam is considering resignation as one of several options. At this point it would be easier to list the national and Virginia Democrats who haven't called on Northam to step down.

Edit: To Jason's point, I just saw an article that Northam's medical school banned the yearbook in 2013 after it displayed students dressed in Confederate garb. Also, CNN has an article up that details several other racist images in Northam's yearbook--not of Northam but of other students. So maybe there were some systemic probems with the yearbook at Eastern Virginia Medical School.
    Last edited by mph; 02-04-2019 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    I just saw an article that Northam's medical school banned the yearbook in 2013 after it displayed students dressed in Confederate garb. Also, CNN has an article up that details several other racist images in Northam's yearbook--not of Northam but of other students. So maybe there were some systemic probems with the yearbook at Eastern Virginia Medical School.
    These sound like the kind of people who refer to that conflict that happened in the 1860s as "the war of Northern aggression."
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    Fairfax also claims that the accuser approached the Washington Post more than a year ago and the Post decided against running the story based on "red flags and inconsistencies."
    Actually the Post said that it didn't find any red flags/inconsistencies, but that it didn't run the story since it couldn't verify either person's account.
    The Post said it did not find "significant red flags and inconsistencies within the allegations," contrary to what Fairfax said in his written statement.
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/04/polit...ion/index.html
    He doesn't deny that the two of them had an encounter, but his version says everything was consensual, and that that her story is completely false.

What a mess.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    It's time for Justin Fairfax--Duke'00--to become governor.

Fairfax is a huge Duke basketball fan, and served as a Young Trustee.

His wife, Cerina, is also a Duke graduate.
    Sigh...new headlining allegations out, this time during his time at Duke. The chances of him being governor now are zip, which is just .02% higher than the chances he remains Lt. Governor.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/08/polit...ser/index.html

PS..not making any judgements since I don't know any facts, simply reporting a headline story on a major news site.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

State Capitol Janitor Frank Surprised to Find He’s Virginia’s New Governor

RICHMOND, Va. — Explaining that he had no idea he was even in the line of succession to become the leader of the Commonwealth, Frank Donahue, the State Capitol’s head janitor, arrived at work to discover that he was now Virginia’s governor, sources confirmed Thursday.
    https://thepeedmont.com/2019/02/07/s...0SWTuNXbSa4z1g

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Sigh...new headlining allegations out, this time during his time at Duke. The chances of him being governor now are zip, which is just .02% higher than the chances he remains Lt. Governor.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/08/polit...ser/index.html

PS..not making any judgements since I don't know any facts, simply reporting a headline story on a major news site.
    Unfortunately this might even end up becoming Duke Basketball news. Fairfax’s second accuser accused him of an assualt while they both were Duke students, she also accused an unnamed Duke Basketball player of rape the year before (I believe that would have been the 99-00 school year/team).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.1b3e32b5b201

Quote Originally Posted by DangerDevil View Post
    Unfortunately this might even end up becoming Duke Basketball news. Fairfax’s second accuser accused him of an assualt while they both were Duke students, she also accused an unnamed Duke Basketball player of rape the year before (I believe that would have been the 99-00 school year/team).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.1b3e32b5b201
    It is very hard to get into this story without triggering sensitive natures, but the story reported in that article is pretty potent, for the sole reason that these events precede the more recent allegation and are recorded.

"Watson’s attorney provided an email exchange from 2016 between Watson and Milagros Joye Brown, another friend from Duke, after Brown invited some Duke friends to a fundraising event for Fairfax’s nascent campaign for lieutenant governor.

“At this time, Ms. Watson is reluctantly coming forward out of a strong sense of civic duty and her belief that those seeking or serving in public office should be of the highest character,” Smith said in the statement. “She has no interest in becoming a media personality or reliving the trauma that has greatly affected her life. Similarly, she is not seeking any financial damages.”
    And later...

“Justin raped me in college and I don’t want to hear anything about him. Please, please, please remove me from any future emails about him please,” Watson wrote on Oct. 26, 2016."
    Reading the reporting of the Duke player is of course disturbing as well. Again, I'm staying away from relaying personal opinions.

I find it not at all surprising that a woman was sexually assaulted by a Duke basketball player while on campus in 1999. I sadly think it was a not uncommon occurrence back then and I fear it still happens with some degree of regularity today. It is horrible and abhorrent and should not be tolerated. Even more troubling is the report that the accuser went to a university dean and was discouraged from taking more formal action against the player.

I hope the school does what it can to look into the incident and attempts to put better systems in place to ensure the safety of Duke students going forward. I don't care who it is, star of the team or a no-name student, the era of looking the other way regarding sexual assault is OVER!

Jason, getting back to the hand of the early Democrat favorite, I am going to need to know which candidates went to Yale or Harvard and which didn't.

Although Trump did break the streak that went back to 28 years (Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama) to Reagan.

Keeping this political, Va Delegate P. Hope has announced that he will introduce articles of impeachment against Fairfax on Monday if he hasn't resigned by then.

Just announced, "Considering the "state" of the State of Virginia, West Virginia will petition to rename itself the State of Eastern Kentucky."
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Long time NC District Three representative Walter Jones (R) died today, on his 76th birthday. He ran unopposed in the mid-terms, but hasn't been in DC for quite a while due to an undisclosed illness.
    With his death, NC now has two districts without representation. The other is the Ninth District, which is the one that is waiting on a hearing by the newly appointed elections board.
    I would assume there will be a special election for Jones' vacated seat.

https://www.witn.com/content/news/Co...505643191.html

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Keeping this political, Va Delegate P. Hope has announced that he will introduce articles of impeachment against Fairfax on Monday if he hasn't resigned by then.
    Hope has stepped back from the planned filing.

"Democratic Del. Patrick Hope tweeted early Monday that he got "an enormous amount of sincere and thoughtful feedback" from colleagues after circulating a draft of his impeachment bill, and that he sees that "additional conversations ... need to take place before anything is filed."
    That can be translated into "You can't impeach someone over unproven allegations".

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...sLV?li=BBnb7Kz

Finally some movement in the Ninth District.

Evidence collected over months and being unveiled Monday could reveal whether the nation's last undecided congressional election was either tainted by so much ballot-tampering that a winner cannot be declared - or that the actual winner was unfairly denied the seat.
    https://www.witn.com/content/news/He...505934801.html

Day one of the hearings into election fraud in the 9th District is in the books. One witness testified that she illegally collected ballots and falsified information.
    Hard to see them coming up with any other logical answer besides a new election.
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/18/polit...ing/index.html

It might help them that there will have to be a special election in the 3rd district with Walter Jones' death. At least two candidates have announced today. It's a very Republican district, and won't be restructured until 2020, so it won't be surprising if there are no Democrat challengers.

Some of these N.C. lawyers are a hoot:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...WaW?li=BBnb7Kz

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Mark Harris, the "winner" of NC-9, has now said that a new election should take place, as the public has enough doubt in the election results to back him.

And, the NC Board of Elections has now called for a new election.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/po...226561504.html

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Mark Harris, the "winner" of NC-9, has now said that a new election should take place, as the public has enough doubt in the election results to back him.

And, the NC Board of Elections has now called for a new election.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/po...226561504.html
    I missed the drama of yesterday due to traveling to Durham for a certain sporting event, so it was crazy this morning waking up and seeing the N&O with a pic of Mark Harris in literal tears. He was listening to the testimony of his son, which sealed the deal for pops. His kid testified that he had told him countless times that Dowless was shady, and had turned over emails proving that he had.
    Long story short, Harris Jr testified that Harris Sr knew exactly what he was asking for when Dowless was hired.