Thread: Thanks Pep

Thanks Pep

Julius Peppers announces his retirement this morning.

Seventeen years of high level pro football.

My wife went to high school with his sister, and while I don’t know him, UNC years aside, I have always been a fan.

His article on the players tribune is worth reading, and his motivation to focus on his kids is heartwarming.

So glad he came home to retire a Panther. One of the few UNC athletes I have truly enjoyed cheering for. Actually, he may be the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    So glad he came home to retire a Panther. One of the few UNC athletes I have truly enjoyed cheering for. Actually, he may be the only one.
    Thank you for not calling him a student

Great article - thanks for sharing. A friend of mine was on the UNC football team with him and swears by Peppers being a great guy (my friend admits that not all of his teammates were choir boys so I trust his judgement). Peppers was amazing to watch.

1st balot hall of fame I would guess and his jersey will be retired in Charlotte. He was just unreal in his prime, the way he could move and react at his size was astonishing.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    1st balot hall of fame I would guess and his jersey will be retired in Charlotte. He was just unreal in his prime, the way he could move and react at his size was astonishing.
    He is certainly deserving, but currently, there is only one player that has a number retired, #51 Sam Mills. Only two ex-Panthers are in the HOF, and Mills is not one of them. Kevin Greene and Reggie White both contributed to Carolina history, but they were both are associated more with other teams. I think that even though Peppers was a Packer, he will forever be remembered more as a Panther. (Say that 10 times fast)
    He's definitely going in to the Hall of Fame, it will be interesting to see if he is also added to Carolina's Hall of Honor.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    He is certainly deserving, but currently, there is only one player that has a number retired, #51 Sam Mills. Only two ex-Panthers are in the HOF, and Mills is not one of them. Kevin Greene and Reggie White both contributed to Carolina history, but they were both are associated more with other teams. I think that even though Peppers was a Packer, he will forever be remembered more as a Panther. (Say that 10 times fast)
    He's definitely going in to the Hall of Fame, it will be interesting to see if he is also added to Carolina's Hall of Honor.
    ...and Bear.
    But his time with the Panthers (10 seasons) was more than his time with the Packers & Bears combined (3 seasons and 4 seasons, respectively).
    If Peppers goes into the HOF (which he absolutely should), it seems abundantly clear that it'll be as a Panther.

Helluva FB player, even with a 1.84 GPA from "u"nc.

http://sports-kings.com/uncategorize...ith-a-1-84-gpa
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

With all the efforts to find a comp for Zion Williamson (Barkley, Larry Johnson) I always thought Julius Peppers was a great comp. Obviously Zion is a much better basketball player, since he's full time at it. However, I think they both are guys who had quickness and agility combined with size and strength that was remarkable at the collegiate and even professional levels.

And here I'm expecting an homage to Pep Guardiola, or perhaps Joe Pepitone, and we get a tarheel? What th'?

Quote Originally Posted by chris13 View Post
    With all the efforts to find a comp for Zion Williamson (Barkley, Larry Johnson) I always thought Julius Peppers was a great comp. Obviously Zion is a much better basketball player, since he's full time at it. However, I think they both are guys who had quickness and agility combined with size and strength that was remarkable at the collegiate and even professional levels.
    I think comparing Zion to any UNCheat player is greatly disrespectful to Zion.

As for Peppers...UNCheat player so, no I'm not a fan. Was never be a fan. Really glad he didn't play for my favorite team. Glad he's retiring. Hope every UNCheat athlete fails in every sport every day. Can we get this thread moved to IC?

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Me too. Great guy, and one heck of a football player.