Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MLAX: Duke 13, Virginia 9

Next Saturday, Duke plays a key Men's Lacrosse game against #1 Virginia (8:30 PM, ESPNU). This is our team final contest before the ACC Tournament (as always, the four ACC teams are highly regarded -- excellence against UMd, UVa and UNC will be critical to our NCAA seeding). After a slow season start, Duke now has eight consecutive victories (including nationally-ranked Loyola, Georgetown, Harvard and Brown). This match is likely to be worth watching (or attending).

Bumping this only because this is a key game and because Saturday is proximate.

Here's to 9 straight! Go Devils!

The bewitching hour is nearing. Let's go Devils.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

duke wins 13-9!

This has been a terrific year to be a Duke alumnus residing in the Commonwealth.

We beat the Wahoos in football.
    We beat them in men's basketball.
    We beat them in women's basketball.
    We beat them in men's lacrosse.

I love spanking Virginia heiny. And football even has a 2-game winning streak going.

A great win for Duke in Charlottesville against #1 ranked UVa. Both teams played well; in my opinion, however, the defense provided by our midfielders, our aggressive attack-focused offense, winning the face-off and ground-ball wars, combined with several key UVa turnovers was crucial. Our Blue Devils have come a LONG way since February.

Up next, the ACC Tournament, with all four clubs highly ranked.
    Last edited by 4decadedukie; 04-17-2010 at 11:05 PM.

Huge win, especially on the road. We're peaking at the right time. Great job on faceoffs. Go Duke!

Very impressive performance. Control the tempo and take what the defense gives you. Superb midfield defense by Costabile, Montelli, Tripucka and others. And absolute dominance on face-offs in the second half.

Let's do it again next Friday night in the ACC Tournament at Murlund.

Hah, wow. I suppose this explains the dirty looks I was getting yesterday wearing a Virginia lax shirt around the Yoh building. Subtlety and timing have never been my strong points...

Congrats to the Devils, even at the expense of the ol' alma mater!

lives near a number of big white buildings
    How will this victory affect our poll ranking? How will this affect our upcoming seeding(s) ?

I thought that Va was best team going in/ the twins in mid, andStandoski at attack, I thought that they really had a tremendous core to build offense and transition game around. Great win for Duke. Great!

Must continue to improve in half court offense--getting what want without allowing runouts. I think that to win the national championship a team needs that game. At least once in the tournament, it will have to play significant minutes occupying the defense, missing on purpose to change point of attack, having key athletic mids in position to guard run outs, and taking shots with defense packed back but ball movement creates creases.

Scoring and stopping easy chances when you miss in one or two tournament games a must to win it all. Or maybe not. Real nice win!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Hah, wow. I suppose this explains the dirty looks I was getting yesterday wearing a Virginia lax shirt around the Yoh building. Subtlety and timing have never been my strong points...
    !
    Here's a friendly suggestion: (a) either give the shirt to the Salvation Army or (b) don't wear it again next Friday -- when we again play UVa (this time in the ACC Tournament).

Quote Originally Posted by SmartDevil View Post
    How will this victory affect our poll ranking? How will this affect our upcoming seeding(s) ?
    This is personal speculation only, however, I believe Duke may move up one spot in next week's poll (which really doesn't mean anything substantive). With regard to seedings: (1) no impact on the ACC Tournament (we have UVa next Friday in College Park), but (2) potentially, some impact in the NCAAs (there, our seeding is likely to be much more determined by team performances in the impending ACC Tourney).

For example, were we to again defeat UVa and then beat the winner of UNC-UMd to win the ACC Championship, we would be 11 straight with many March/April "quality wins." This might well result in a #1 NCAA seed. Whereas, were UVa to hammer Duke next Friday (Heaven forbid), I would presume we'd receive a #2 seed.

Not a hard-core fan, but I saw most of the second half. Very impressive win! The 'Hoos and their fans didn't look too happy.

Great win. Our dominance at the X was the key, and we did it with our best faceoff man, Sam Peyton not playing.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Thumbs up Hustle and determination dominated 2nd half

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Great win. Our dominance at the X was the key, and we did it with our best faceoff man, Sam Peyton not playing.
    Amen. 10/12 face offs won in 2nd half.

More hustle indicators: Duke 31-23 on ground balls. 16-5 in 2nd half!

Prob largest crowd ever at Klockner.
    We need to improve in extra -man opps.

12th straight win vs. UVA; last 3 when UVA was top ranked.

2nd half can be a great momentum builder for ACC tourney and for NCAA matchups.

Congrats, Laxers! Best--Blueprofessor

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    This is personal speculation only, however, I believe Duke may move up one spot in next week's poll (which really doesn't mean anything substantive). With regard to seedings: (1) no impact on the ACC Tournament (we have UVa next Friday in College Park), but (2) potentially, some impact in the NCAAs (there, our seeding is likely to be much more determined by team performances in the impending ACC Tourney).

For example, were we to again defeat UVa and then beat the winner of UNC-UMd to win the ACC Championship, we would be 11 straight with many March/April "quality wins." This might well result in a #1 NCAA seed. Whereas, were UVa to hammer Duke next Friday (Heaven forbid), I would presume we'd receive a #2 seed.
    Well, but there aren't regional seeds in Lacrosse--only one #1 and 1 #2. If we lose to UVA next Friday, at least Syracuse and UNC (unless they lose to the Terps, and maybe even if they do) would most likely be ahead us, and UVA probably would stay ahead as well. Maryland, maybe or maybe not. But I don't see Duke being considered for a #1 or #2 seed unless we win the ACC tournament.

On another note--I take a perverse pleasure in noting that, once again, Ken Clausen played a subpar game against Duke, letting Crotty get away from him several times. Could it be the karma of decommitting from Duke in 2006?

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post

Anyone know why he didn't play and if this is an issue beyond this game?
    Great win.

Quote Originally Posted by wallyman View Post
    Anyone know why he didn't play and if this is an issue beyond this game?
    Great win.
    Game commentators said he has a foot injury, but didn't provide any details about what kind and how long it's likely to affect him.